Negotiation Question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
niplomo

Negotiation Question

Postby niplomo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:18 pm

Hello all!

I had a quick questions I was hoping I could get some insight on. I've been accepted into two schools. Both the same rank but in different locations.

School A on the east coast.
School B on the west coast.

I live next to School A so it is going to be much cheaper for me to attend. It is my top choice also because of the type of law I want to practice.

I received a scholarship from both schools with School A giving me 10k more than School B. I sent an email to School B explaining my situation and I'm anticipating them matching or beating School As offer. Now I'm curious how to use this to negotiate with School A.

The issue is I have already sent a letter asking School A to reconsider my offer. They said they'll get back to me after the first deposit deadline. Now should I send a follow up letter explaining that School B is matching/beating their offer or should I wait and once I hear back from School A, ask for them to reconsider again taking School Bs offer into account.

Thank you

Mullens

Re: Negotiation Question

Postby Mullens » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:27 pm

Mullens wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Rather speak in general terms both to avoiding outing myself and also to help others who may have this issue in the future. Seems like a general question which really doesn't need that information

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:31 pm

niplomo wrote:
Mullens wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Rather speak in general terms both to avoiding outing myself and also to help others who may have this issue in the future. Seems like a general question which really doesn't need that information

Your entire situation is really important in determining which law school is the best decision for you. Your entire situation can be communicated to us through those questions.

People like Mullens are trying to help, and they really want to- but you need to give them that info in order for them to be able to help you.

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
niplomo wrote:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Your entire situation is really important in determining which law school is the best decision for you. Your entire situation can be communicated to us through those questions.

People like Mullens are trying to help, and they really want to- but you need to give them that info in order for them to be able to help you.

Alright well I'm deciding between.is my top choice.
Gonna be taking out loans. BigLaw, BigFed, and/or clerkships are my goals right now
Last edited by niplomo on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

capsoccer

Postby capsoccer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 pm

I recently tried negotiating with GW and they said the scholarship committee meets to review requests for increased scholarships in April and will have a decision before April 15th (unfortunately their deadline is April 1). Interested to see how it goes for you

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 pm

capsoccer wrote:(unfortunately their deadline is April 1)

lol that's a huge troll. if i were you i would firmly state in an email that your enrolling depends on your financial situation, which depends on their potential offer.

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:16 am

ballcaps wrote:

lol that's a huge troll. if i were you i would firmly state in an email that your enrolling depends on your financial situation, which depends on their potential offer.

It Is smart on their end. They have money free up, see who is really interested in their school, etc.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 am

niplomo wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

It Is smart on their end. They have money free up, see who is really interested in their school, etc.

yeah of course, that's what makes it a troll. that policy takes financial advantage of prospective students, and i wouldn't take it.

but suit yourself.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:55 pm

niplomo wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

Not necessarily. They could not only get bad publicity, but they may lose students because of what they are doing. Might cause medians or class size to fall (or both).

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Those schools don't really make sense with those goals. Retake.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:Those schools don't really make sense with those goals. Retake.

This, especially as I'm inferring we're not talking about big scholarships, and anything that's not close to a fully for either is pretty much indefensible, not knowing more information.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:

This, especially as I'm inferring we're talking close to sticker for both, and anything even close would be straight indefensible.

I also don't see USC matching or beating a GWU offer unless the mighty really have fallen that far in one year

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Nobody asked pal

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:

This, especially as I'm inferring we're talking close to sticker for both, and anything even close would be straight indefensible.

I also don't see USC matching or beating a GWU offer unless the mighty really have fallen that far in one year

They just beat it

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:16 pm

niplomo wrote:

Nobody asked pal

It doesn't make sense to ask questions about which to attend when the correct answer is neither. Also, it's an easy fix to get yourself in the proper position.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:16 pm

niplomo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:

They just beat it

Troy has fallen

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 pm

ballcaps wrote:
niplomo wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

yeah of course, that's what makes it a troll. that policy takes financial advantage of prospective students, and i wouldn't take it.

but suit yourself.

They also specifically say that they do not negotiate merit or scholarship aid based on offers from other schools. Don't know how much truth there is to that

niplomo

Postby niplomo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
niplomo wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

Not necessarily. They could not only get bad publicity, but they may lose students because of what they are doing. Might cause medians or class size to fall (or both).

They also specifically say that they do not negotiate merit or scholarship aid based on offers from other schools. Don't know how much truth there is to that. Gonna try anyway

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:45 pm

niplomo wrote:

Nobody asked pal

ur funeral

Return to “Choosing a Law School”