CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

NYU
3
15%
CLS
4
20%
Texas
13
65%
 
Total votes: 20

rae_mal
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:48 pm

CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby rae_mal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Alright guys, so I'm having some sticker shock problems deciding with law school. I understand that NYU and CLS are much better schools than Texas, but I've gotten 75k to go to Texas, and because I'm instate that makes it come out to about 8k a year. Comparing that to CLU's 58k/year and NYU's 55k a year makes the decision way more stressful.

Background info:
LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.77
From Texas, and I want to focus on Int'l trade/policies. Obviously for that New York is a much better fit but the question is, is it really worth the cost?
I'll be paying for law school from savings, and can do NYU/CLS without a significant amount of debt and will not be qualifying for any need-based aid.
I already live in the Austin area and absolutely love it, but I'm also not scared of moving away to somewhere new.
Last edited by rae_mal on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
transferror
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: CLU/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby transferror » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:07 pm

What are your career goals (biglaw, small firm, criminal work, fed gov, etc.)? EDIT: what do you think international policy means? Can you give examples of the type of position you're looking for?
Where do you want to work when you're done?
Where do you have ties/roots other than Texas?
Last edited by transferror on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hitherim
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Re: CLU/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby hitherim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I'd say $150+ probably not worth it. Try to negotiate with that $$$, might get enough to make it worth it

rae_mal
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: CLU/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby rae_mal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:33 pm

transferror wrote:What are your career goals (biglaw, small firm, criminal work, fed gov, etc.)? EDIT: what do you think international policy means? Can you give examples of the type of position you're looking for?
Where do you want to work when you're done?
Where do you have ties/roots other than Texas?


Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what I want yet as far as a job. The dream would be gov't or int'l NGO, but I'm also open to exploring multiple options once in school.
The dream is to work internationally or NYC/DC with travel opportunities.
No I don't really have other roots, but I've moved around a lot and don't mind it.

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: CLU/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby The Dark Shepard » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Did you apply lower T14 at all?

rae_mal
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Re: CLU/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby rae_mal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:41 pm

The Dark Shepard wrote:Did you apply lower T14 at all?


Still waiting back from Northwestern and GULC. It's been radio silence from Northwestern, and GULC just contacted me about setting up an alumni interview.

Nomo
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 am

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby Nomo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:06 pm

The truth is that its highly unlikely you'll be "exploring options." If you don't know exactly what you want to do, then some combination of the chance and the current hiring market will decide for you. CLS and NYU will give you certain advantages over Texas. But if you're interested in international trade policies and exploring your options I can promise you that NYU and CLS are only giving you one major advantage over Texas: a much greater chance of ending up at a big law firm in New York working in whichever practice group needs the most bodies.

There's nothing wrong with biglaw in NY, if you're a workhorse who wants a really high paying job then it might be the job for you. But you sound like someone who is going to law school because you're fairly smart, you don't have any better job options at the moment, and you think law school will open lots of interesting doors. If that's you, then please don't go to law school right now. Take some time to figure out what it is that you want out of a career, and then see which practice areas (if any) will fit your interests, personality, and goals.

Also, its probably better to think of law school cost in terms of total debt at graduation (which accounts for any interest that would accumulate during school). This gives a more accurate depiction of what your paying and should help you make a better decision.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 am

If you really receive $0 at the New York schools and you want to work in Texas, then go to UT. With $50k+ scholarship I'd go to CLS (or NYU if CLS doesn't offer as much). If you decide you actually want to work at a large NY or DC firm on international trade, it could be worth it in theory to pay the heavier freight for Columbia (since you'll have the new york firm gig if you want it) but before jumping on that I'd second the suggestion to target lower T14s for large scholarships. Something like $90k to Duke or Cornell would hit the sweet spot.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:30 am

jbagelboy wrote:If you really receive $0 at the New York schools and you want to work in Texas, then go to UT. With $50k+ scholarship I'd go to CLS (or NYU if CLS doesn't offer as much). If you decide you actually want to work at a large NY or DC firm on international trade, it could be worth it in theory to pay the heavier freight for Columbia (since you'll have the new york firm gig if you want it) but before jumping on that I'd second the suggestion to target lower T14s for large scholarships. Something like $90k to Duke or Cornell would hit the sweet spot.

Yeah, I got 90K at Duke/Cornell with same GPA and couple points lower on the lsat. I would think the OP would get nice scholarships there but sounds like the OP didn't even apply???

Honestly OP, I just wouldn't go to law school at this time. If you get some clarity around what you want to do as a career then it might make some sense. Generally for people like you who really only have a vague idea of what they want to do I say take the T14 because at a minimum you should hopefully be able to fall into a high paying job where you can pay off student loan debt. But sticker debt is unconscionable IMO. I think UT is just fine if you have a strong desire to work in TX long term and are ok with modest outcomes but neither sound like you so it's out too.

User avatar
RareExports
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby RareExports » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Texas at 8k/year sounds like a great option, but I agree with the other posters that if you get money at C or N this decision changes quite a bit. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more money at lower T14.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Nomo wrote:CLS and NYU will give you certain advantages over Texas. But if you're interested in international trade policies and exploring your options I can promise you that NYU and CLS are only giving you one major advantage over Texas: a much greater chance of ending up at a big law firm in New York working in whichever practice group needs the most bodies.


Can you discuss this more? I share the very same interests with the OP and find myself in a similar position in terms of school choices and $ options.

If the goal is not at all NYC biglaw, NYU and CLS don't have any significant bump to them for trying to get involved in work that involves the US CIT, etc. ?

I know there's pretty strong stigma towards GULC, but would it not make a lot of sense to attend if it's right in the middle of DC?

Not trying to take over this thread, but since the comment was already made I figured it would be better than making my own thread.

Nomo
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 am

Re: CLS/NYU vs. Texas w/ $$$

Postby Nomo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nomo wrote:CLS and NYU will give you certain advantages over Texas. But if you're interested in international trade policies and exploring your options I can promise you that NYU and CLS are only giving you one major advantage over Texas: a much greater chance of ending up at a big law firm in New York working in whichever practice group needs the most bodies.


Can you discuss this more? I share the very same interests with the OP and find myself in a similar position in terms of school choices and $ options.

If the goal is not at all NYC biglaw, NYU and CLS don't have any significant bump to them for trying to get involved in work that involves the US CIT, etc. ?

I know there's pretty strong stigma towards GULC, but would it not make a lot of sense to attend if it's right in the middle of DC?

Not trying to take over this thread, but since the comment was already made I figured it would be better than making my own thread.


Who practices in front of the US CIT? I'm pretty sure the answer is big law firms, smaller firms made up of attorneys who left biglaw, and government attorneys (most of whom came from biglaw). And certainly if you'll have a better chance getting put on international deals in a biglaw firm if you've got an interest in the area and some fluency in an important language that few attorneys speak (Chinese, Russian, etc.). But for the most part, you're not going to have a lot of say in what you do beyond picking transactional or litigation.

Outside of biglaw, how exactly do you intend to practice in the area of international trade? I don't know this, but I would surprised if there are more than 10 new lawyers a year who get to practice exclusively (or even mainly) in international trade in government agencies and NGO's. And if you, like the OP, are interested in "policy" rather than law, I don't even know what to tell you. I guess you can try go get in the field through the PMF program, but you need a law degree for that. Obviously some attorneys practice before going into policy, but you'll have to get into biglaw first, and try/hope that you get staffed on enough international deals or cases to become an expert in the area.

Can you identify some places you'd like to work? How many attorneys have those places hired in the last year? What kind of experience and credentials do those new attorneys have?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests