Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Miami
12
46%
Illinois
9
35%
Notre Dame
4
15%
Indiana
1
4%
 
Total votes: 26

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by Username123 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:27 pm

3.2 and 162 getting full rides at UIUC, jeez. Do you want to be in Chicago? If not, UIUC and even ND make no sense. The Miami legal market is bad, but at least you have ties.

At UIUC we do have a good number of FL ppl, but if you want Chicago you have to really prove it and spend your 1L summer in Chicago to show firms you won't move back to Miami. I would probably say retake, but these are good scholarships for such a low GPA. Basically if you want to be in Miami and are ok with hustling for a job, go there. If you want to be in Chicago and are ok with probably not getting big law, go to UIUC. Only go to Indiana if you want to be in Indiana. If none, then retake

User avatar
bugsy33
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby bugsy33 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 pm

If you want to work in Florida going to UIUC or IU makes no sense. I would use those offers to leverage against Notre Dame and Florida. Notre Dame might give you more, but you're already probably under the medians, so there's no real incentive for them. Miami has scholarship stipulations, and it's not exactly a top jobs school, so that's kind of crappy. I think your best bet is to try to get a full ride either to UF or FSU.

PS how the F*** did you get full rides to UIUC and IU with a 162/3.2??? Are you URM?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Not URM. I'm not sure what got me the full rides from Illinois and IU. I do have good WE and pretty strong softs, so maybe that helped. To be exact, IU is a couple grand short of a full ride.

The Miami scholarship has a pretty lenient stip, as opposed to what they've had in the past. The stip is to be at or above a 2.5, which ~90% of students achieved last year.

FSU offered ~50% tuition. Florida hasn't gotten back to me re: scholarships or isn't offering me money.

ETA: South Florida is ideal in regards to the region in which I want to work, but it isn't a must. I would be perfectly content with establishing my career in Chicago or another Midwest city if I were to attend UIUC/IU/ND.

Nomo
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Nomo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm

You want to work in south FL. You've got a full-tuition scholarship (though a public-interest program) to a school in south FL. You've got legal ties to south FL. This seems easy. Go to Miami and hustle like hell to make connections and get internships with legal-aid and PD's down there. You might have to work for a better call Saul type lawyer for a few years while you wait for the right opening at legal-aid or the PD's, but this should work out for you.

Indiana and UIUC might have better employment stats. But they are also comprised primarily of students who already have ties to the region. You've got ties (good ties) to south FL, not the midwest. All things aren't equal here. You've got a better chance of finding legal work if you go to Miami and hustle hard once you're there.

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby The Dark Shepard » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Miami seems solid here

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby cron1834 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 pm

Nomo wrote:You want to work in south FL. You've got a full-tuition scholarship (though a public-interest program) to a school in south FL. You've got legal ties to south FL. This seems easy. Go to Miami and hustle like hell to make connections and get internships with legal-aid and PD's down there. You might have to work for a better call Saul type lawyer for a few years while you wait for the right opening at legal-aid or the PD's, but this should work out for you.

Indiana and UIUC might have better employment stats. But they are also comprised primarily of students who already have ties to the region. You've got ties (good ties) to south FL, not the midwest. All things aren't equal here. You've got a better chance of finding legal work if you go to Miami and hustle hard once you're there.

This seems right.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:26 am

cron1834 wrote:
Nomo wrote:You want to work in south FL. You've got a full-tuition scholarship (though a public-interest program) to a school in south FL. You've got legal ties to south FL. This seems easy. Go to Miami and hustle like hell to make connections and get internships with legal-aid and PD's down there. You might have to work for a better call Saul type lawyer for a few years while you wait for the right opening at legal-aid or the PD's, but this should work out for you.

Indiana and UIUC might have better employment stats. But they are also comprised primarily of students who already have ties to the region. You've got ties (good ties) to south FL, not the midwest. All things aren't equal here. You've got a better chance of finding legal work if you go to Miami and hustle hard once you're there.

This seems right.


Thanks for the responses! I have a few questions, if y'all wouldn't mind helping a bit more.

What do you mean by hustling for a job? And what are you referring to when you mention legal-aid?

Consensus here is that considering all are full rides, UM with ties > UIUC without ties, despite what LST shows?

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby cron1834 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:38 am

Legal Aid = legal services nonprofit. They don't pay much, but the jobs are desirable and competitive.

Hustle = networking, interning, externing, etc, because on campus interviewing isn't really a thing unless you're top ten percent at these places.

LST = data, but it doesn't really explain the data; Illinois has better numbers, but they're generated by Midwest kids who have ties getting jobs in the Midwest. That doesn't sound like you, so you shouldn't assume that the employment percentages apply to you.

Caveat: 1L, but I don't think any of this is controversial.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:25 pm

I would love to know why three people have chosen Illinois over ND, IU and Miami in the poll.

User avatar
Pumpkin-Duke of Pie
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:02 pm

bugsy33 wrote:If you want to work in Florida going to UIUC or IU makes no sense. I would use those offers to leverage against Notre Dame and Florida. Notre Dame might give you more, but you're already probably under the medians, so there's no real incentive for them. Miami has scholarship stipulations, and it's not exactly a top jobs school, so that's kind of crappy. I think your best bet is to try to get a full ride either to UF or FSU.

PS how the F*** did you get full rides to UIUC and IU with a 162/3.2??? Are you URM?


The desperation for candidates is real these days among a lot of the T1 schools, especially those near the bottom.

Edit: Follow your dreams OP. If these were my options with your goals I wouldn't go to lawl skewl, but this is your life.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby thebobs1987 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:I would love to know why three people have chosen Illinois over ND, IU and Miami in the poll.


Probably because Illinois is a full ride while ND is a lot of money and Illinois has better job numbers than IU. But ignore the poll. If you want to be in Miami and are willing to hustle for a legal job, go to Miami.

User avatar
Pumpkin-Duke of Pie
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:01 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:I would love to know why three people have chosen Illinois over ND, IU and Miami in the poll.


Probably because Illinois is a full ride while ND is a lot of money and Illinois has better job numbers than IU. But ignore the poll. If you want to be in Miami and are willing to hustle for a legal job, go to Miami.


Or, you know, just don't go to lawl skewl. Get a MAcc/MSA or something.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:05 pm

I don't see how Miami is not the obvious choice

One thing though: don't be that guy who says they want PI but actually wants big law and is going to go to a regional school with mediocre job prospects secretly thinking that they will outwork all their classmates and cop DAT BIG SOUTH FLORIDA LAW. If you want PI, start committing to that now. You're going to have to hustle. If you want big law, retake, go to a T14, and focus on NYC.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't see how Miami is not the obvious choice

One thing though: don't be that guy who says they want PI but actually wants big law and is going to go to a regional school with mediocre job prospects secretly thinking that they will outwork all their classmates and cop DAT BIG SOUTH FLORIDA LAW. If you want PI, start committing to that now. You're going to have to hustle. If you want big law, retake, go to a T14, and focus on NYC.


Understood.

Thanks for the advice everybody.
Last edited by Username123 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 pm

If Illinois is still in the running then you (and most importantly, we) have failed you

User avatar
Pumpkin-Duke of Pie
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:If Illinois is still in the running then you (and most importantly, we) have failed you

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Illinois, Notre Dame, Indiana and Miami

Postby Username123 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If Illinois is still in the running then you (and most importantly, we) have failed you


Lol understood!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests