USC VS GWLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lsatsohard
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:34 pm

USC VS GWLS

Postby lsatsohard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:33 am

Everything else aside (or held constant or whatever), which school is better in terms of career prospects and starting salary? Which school gets better national recognition?
I got my acceptances from both schools, but having a real hard time deciding which school to attend.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:54 am

there's almost no possible way all other things are equal. You can't make decisions/give advice like this in a vacuum. Give more info. If they're your top choices because they're the two best schools you got in to, pretty certain the advice is going to be "neither" as they'll both be prohibitively expensive.

Also neither of them are really any good for national recognition. I had to look up GWLS to remember what it was. And USC is great for so-Cal but it doesn't sound like you're committed to any one area.

BigZuck
Posts: 10883
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 am

What's a GWLS?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:45 am

At a bare minimum, we need to know costs and career goals, including your geographic preference.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby ballcaps » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 am

BigZuck wrote:What's a GWLS?

romothesavior wrote:At a bare minimum, we need to know costs and career goals, including your geographic preference.

User avatar
Clemenceau
Posts: 858
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby Clemenceau » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:14 am

I looked up gwls and got a link to this page

Welp

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 am

Pretty sure GWLS is George Washington lol?

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby Worker and Parasite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:35 pm

u wanna work in la or dc, easy/peasy/lemonsqueezy

lsatsohard
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby lsatsohard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:41 pm

I apologize for the lack of info. I'll update all the relevant stuff later on, as I'm still in the negotiating process with these schools, and yes, by GWLS I meant George Washington Law. I guess I forgot to include a U in the middle.

TBH I never heard of this school before either, but I was drawn to its pretty strong employment prospects. It seems to boast better employment stats than even some of the T14 schools such as Duke, Michigan and NU, etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?

User avatar
BrazilBandit
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby BrazilBandit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:50 pm

lsatsohard wrote:I apologize for the lack of info. I'll update all the relevant stuff later on, as I'm still in the negotiating process with these schools, and yes, by GWLS I meant George Washington Law. I guess I forgot to include a U in the middle.

TBH I never heard of this school before either, but I was drawn to its pretty strong employment prospects. It seems to boast better employment stats than even some of the T14 schools such as Duke, Michigan and NU, etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?


I don't wanna sound mean, but where did you get that from? make sure you are doing placement research on Law School Transparency.

lsatsohard
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby lsatsohard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:55 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
lsatsohard wrote:I apologize for the lack of info. I'll update all the relevant stuff later on, as I'm still in the negotiating process with these schools, and yes, by GWLS I meant George Washington Law. I guess I forgot to include a U in the middle.

TBH I never heard of this school before either, but I was drawn to its pretty strong employment prospects. It seems to boast better employment stats than even some of the T14 schools such as Duke, Michigan and NU, etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?


I don't wanna sound mean, but where did you get that from? make sure you are doing placement research on Law School Transparency.


Hey man, any useful info is appreciated, as I'm no expert in this shit show.

User avatar
pamphleteer
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:58 pm

lsatsohard wrote:TBH I never heard of this school before either, but I was drawn to its pretty strong employment prospects. It seems to boast better employment stats than even some of the T14 schools such as Duke, Michigan and NU, etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?


15% of their LST score comes from school-funded jobs. Although I'm not really sure what you're referring to here because even with that bump they're still below all of the T14 in LST% and BigLaw+FedClerk%. Their underemployment is a little lower than Duke, NU and Michigan but that's artificially deflated by the sheer number of school-funded jobs. GWU, Emory and William and Mary's employment stats should be taken with several helpings of salt for this reason.

User avatar
BrazilBandit
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: USC VS GWLS

Postby BrazilBandit » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

lsatsohard wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:
lsatsohard wrote:I apologize for the lack of info. I'll update all the relevant stuff later on, as I'm still in the negotiating process with these schools, and yes, by GWLS I meant George Washington Law. I guess I forgot to include a U in the middle.

TBH I never heard of this school before either, but I was drawn to its pretty strong employment prospects. It seems to boast better employment stats than even some of the T14 schools such as Duke, Michigan and NU, etc. Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something here?


I don't wanna sound mean, but where did you get that from? make sure you are doing placement research on Law School Transparency.


Hey man, any useful info is appreciated, as I'm no expert in this shit show.


Gotcha - http://www.lstscorereports.com is what you wanna use for any research regarding employment prospects, or the ABA reports directly. US News & World Report numbers do not reflect "School funded positions", something that GW has a quite a lot of. Also, DC can be a very rough market to get into without significant ties.

Which kind of law are you looking to practice? what is the total cost of attendance (Tuition+ Cost of Living + Interest - Scholarships) for each school. this will give us a better idea of what you are looking for and what best fits your career goals. Also, have you maxed out your LSAt performance and number of takes?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests