Temple vs Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rduffy5
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby rduffy5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:
rduffy5 wrote:You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

:D
romothesavior wrote:
rduffy5 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:At many small firms, though, you will be working the same hours as biglawyers but making a third of the salary

Again, when we say these choices are fine, there is a very strong chance you will not get a job as an attorney, ever. Do not make this decision lightly.


You're such an asshole. Free law school is exactly that -- free. You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

How is saying "Do not take this decision lightly" an asshole thing to say?

Also, lol at "Esquire." Using that term is pretty much equivalent to signing "Douchebag" after your name.


Oh right, sorry. I forgot that because I didn't get a 170 on my LSAT that my opinion on the value of law school is automatically meritless on TLS and my law degree will be entirely useless.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:36 pm

rduffy5 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
rduffy5 wrote:You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

:D
romothesavior wrote:
rduffy5 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:At many small firms, though, you will be working the same hours as biglawyers but making a third of the salary

Again, when we say these choices are fine, there is a very strong chance you will not get a job as an attorney, ever. Do not make this decision lightly.


You're such an asshole. Free law school is exactly that -- free. You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

How is saying "Do not take this decision lightly" an asshole thing to say?

Also, lol at "Esquire." Using that term is pretty much equivalent to signing "Douchebag" after your name.


Oh right, sorry. I forgot that because I didn't get a 170 on my LSAT that my opinion on the value of law school is automatically meritless on TLS and my law degree will be entirely useless.

You're jumping the shark here bro. Take a step back.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Nobody said that, though I'm beginning to think you have serious reading comprehension problems to go along with your inferiority complex.

One poster said (in a very civil and respectful tone) that there are still pitfalls to going to a lower ranked law school for free, such as a high stress job for low pay or un/under-employment. For that reason, OP should not take his decision lightly.

You called him an asshole for no apparent reason.

I asked you why you think he's an asshole.

You wail about how no one takes your opinion seriously because of your LSAT score, even though no one ITT referenced your LSAT score or even know or cares what it is.

Frankly, you seem unhinged.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby ballcaps » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm

PA337 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
PA337 wrote:about 45k in debt, so nothing extreme, and debt won't increase to above a total of about 60k by the end of three years

All right. I don't get your wait it out=death logic but OK. Yeah, if you can go to one of these schools literally for free, and you are OK with a 50% chance of never getting a job as an attorney, and legitimately have modest goals and ambitions for your career, then I would sign off I guess.


If I took a year off, it would make it difficult to not default on payments for students loans when I would have to continue to pay them off once I started law school. Assuming I got a good enough LSAT to go T14, I can't go to law school as I am defaulting on school loans


yeah, except you could do what any basically competent person would do and get a job.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Nobody said that, though I'm beginning to think you have serious reading comprehension problems to go along with your inferiority complex.

One poster said (in a very civil and respectful tone) that there are still pitfalls to going to a lower ranked law school for free, such as a high stress job for low pay or un/under-employment. For that reason, OP should not take his decision lightly.

You called him an asshole for no apparent reason.

I asked you why you think he's an asshole.

You wail about how no one takes your opinion seriously because of your LSAT score, even though no one ITT referenced your LSAT score or even know or cares what it is.

Frankly, you seem unhinged.

Oh, fuck you and your 170. You're just wearing that shit in your zipper, you 170 having fuck. Me and my gigantic dick think your 170 sucks ass, and as soon as I get a forklift to pick my cock up off the ground, me and my humongous penis are leaving.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby ballcaps » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know of a person or two who got legal jobs 9+ months after graduation, so "never" is certainly a stretch.

But I think we can agree though that a lot of people who don't get jobs by that point go on to do something else with their lives, and most the legal jobs people find that far out are pretty crummy. There are certainly exceptions, but if a school is only placing 50% into FT permanent JD required work by the nine month mark, long term legal unemployment is a real possibility.


Absolutely from a statistical analysis that is blind to individual consideration. There is no way I won't be in the top 25% at the worst in my class

Lol and what makes you say that?


incoming GPA/LSAT relative to classmates, test-taking abilities, time management, etc


also that's dumb/lol

8)

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:Oh, fuck you and your 170. You're just wearing that shit in your zipper, you 170 having fuck. Me and my gigantic dick think your 170 sucks ass, and as soon as I get a forklift to pick my cock up off the ground, me and my humongous penis are leaving.


hahaha, LOL'd hard at this

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 am

it's pretty easy to avoid defaulting on 45k. how much is this 450/month? You just need to earn a little over 100 a week. even if u missed a month or 2 looking for a job they won't immediately report it. the loan providers aren't trying to screw you. it's in their interest for you to succeed. this shouldn't be a significant factor. how will these factors plus cost of living debt not equally concern you in 3 years?

User avatar
Westofeden
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby Westofeden » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 pm

This thread is a disaster. OP you need to ditch your ignorance, sit back and reconsider what you truly want to do with your law degree. Big law isn't "out of the question" for these schools, but it definitely is not likely by any means. If you are okay with merely a shot at mid-law and big-law, but more than likely will end up with some other type of job, then go. If you want to stay completely debt adverse go to Villanova. Because the debt from Temple isn't too much, and if that doesnt bother you, then it is a coin toss. They are completely comparable schools that have super strong ties in the city and the suburbs of PA and Southern NJ. It is really a matter of personal preference. If you end up doing really well, you will have some nice options in this area.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:the loan providers aren't trying to screw you.

Well, they are, just not in this particular way.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby AReasonableMan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:the loan providers aren't trying to screw you.

Well, they are, just not in this particular way.

I mean if they screw up your credit, which is likely to have a spillover effect and somewhat impact your employment and ability to make money, it's less likely they get paid. They don't want to have to sell your loan for pennies on the dollar.

User avatar
amw342
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby amw342 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

PA337 wrote:Accepted to both
Full-ride for Villanova
15 out of 21 a year for Temple (Will be asking for a reconsideration shortly)
Will not give out GPA/LSAT so retake is not an answer
COA will be very small as I will be taking out very small, if any loans for COA
Lifelong resident of PA
Also got full-ride to PSU and drexel but not really considering them

Goals- pay off undergrad debt quickly, would like to eventually open up own firm down the line
would be interested working at mid to biglaw initially but not long term
Open to different types of law, have some internship experience in land use and criminal defense
Overall, modest goals in general
Looking to stay in PA- long term


Thoughts and Opinions welcome! :D


Both of these schools are regional to Philly. Temple has a very slight advantage if any. At either school though, you would have to be at the top of your class though (VERY VERY TOP) to have any chance with your goals. In all honesty, I don't know if its worth it to attend either even with a full ride. I only know a handful of associates who came from Nova/Temple at Morgan Lewis in Philly where I work. Most are from Penn. Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT GO TO PSU OR DREXEL....especially DREXEL.

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby Aquila » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 am

LOLOL probably going to retake... had to necro this

champloo
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby champloo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 pm

PA337 wrote:
drs36 wrote:
PA337 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
PA337 wrote:about 45k in debt, so nothing extreme, and debt won't increase to above a total of about 60k by the end of three years

All right. I don't get your wait it out=death logic but OK. Yeah, if you can go to one of these schools literally for free, and you are OK with a 50% chance of never getting a job as an attorney, and legitimately have modest goals and ambitions for your career, then I would sign off I guess.


If I took a year off, it would make it difficult to not default on payments for students loans when I would have to continue to pay them off once I started law school. Assuming I got a good enough LSAT to go T14, I can't go to law school as I am defaulting on school loans


As the poster above mentioned, your lenders will defer your undergrad loans while you are in law school, even the private ones. If it's not automatic, you simply call your lender and inform them you're starting grad school. You'll receive a deferment and cannot default.

I don't think Temple for free/really cheap is as bad as some are making it out to be...but a retake and Penn acceptance is a markedly better move.


Do lenders defer after a year of repayment tho in the case of taking a year off?


call and ask but for me i took 5 years off working and repaying and whatever amount was left over was deferred once i started ls. but interest will accrue on unsubsidized (or subsidized) loans. at least thats what it said for me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests