Temple vs Villanova

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
drs36

Re: Temple vs Villanova

Postby drs36 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Yes. I took a year off between Ugrad and LS and had no problem receiving a deferment while in law school. Your LS enters you into a database so your lenders know you're a student. You receive the deferment and having taken time off in between is irrelevant in granting the deferment.

drs36

Postby drs36 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:38 pm

That being said, your loans will continue to accrue interest. You can pay that during law school if you wish (interest-only payments), but you're not obligated to do so.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

mvp99 wrote:Don't retake. A friend of mine went to one of these schools. He joined a bar and is now working. The bar is two blocks away from his home and he earns 15-20 an hour in tips!

LJL

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:47 pm

If you are set on staying local and are cool with non-big law, these schools for free are fine. Otherwise retake.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you are set on staying local and are cool with non-big law, these schools for free are fine. Otherwise retake.

I am set in staying local, overall I love living in PA

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:51 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:If you are set on staying local and are cool with non-big law, these schools for free are fine. Otherwise retake.

Good. You also should be fine with not getting a big or mid sized firm job. If that's your goal, you should understand your odds are very small.

I'll echo everyone else in saying that retaking is probably the way to go, but again, debt free and aiming to stay in that market, these are fine options

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:52 pm

This. But OP, if you want to take a year off, why not go on PAYE and then just pay more than the minimum every month to keep the interest from accruing?

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:

Good. You also should be fine with not getting a big or mid sized firm job. If that's your goal, you should understand your odds are very small.

I'll echo everyone else in saying that retaking is probably the way to go, but again, debt free and aiming to stay in that market, these are fine options

debt free law school is as much a win for me as T14 at sticker or with a same scholly. I would even maybe say that overall a regional is better for me because I am not trying to work somewhere I need to bill a crazy amount of hours. I have other interests and hobbies outside of wanting to work 60-80 hours a week. These interests and hobbies are not expensive either

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:02 pm

At many small firms, though, you will be working the same hours as biglawyers but making a third of the salary

Again, when we say these choices are fine, there is a very strong chance you will not get a job as an attorney, ever. Do not make this decision lightly.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
ronanOgara wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
PA337 wrote:about 45k in debt, so nothing extreme, and debt won't increase to above a total of about 60k by the end of three years

All right. I don't get your wait it out=death logic but OK. Yeah, if you can go to one of these schools literally for free, and you are OK with a 50% chance of never getting a job as an attorney, and legitimately have modest goals and ambitions for your career, then I would sign off I guess.

Where are you getting this 50% chance of never getting a job as an attorney? I know what LST says, but aren't those stats based on 9 months after graduating? Are you aware of a study that shows once you fail to obtain an attorney job within 9 months of graduating, you will never be an attorney?

Not trying to attack you--but I've seen that never language tossed around before and I'm curious as to where that's coming from.

They are from nine months out. There isn't exactly a market for people with zero experience who were completely shut out of the profession for almost a full year, and by the time nine months has passed, the next crop has almost graduated and most employers would rather have a fresh grad over someone who has done nothing for a year/proved themselves essentially incapable of landing a job.

No, this is nonsense. It does not follow, even remotely, that not having a job as an attorney within 9 months of graduation equates to never, ever being an attorney. Please stop that.

And I am in no way suggesting that the prospect of being unemployed after 9 months should be taken lightly; that is certainly not an ideal spot to be in.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:35 am

I know of a person or two who got legal jobs 9+ months after graduation, so "never" is certainly a stretch.

But I think we can agree though that a lot of people who don't get jobs by that point go on to do something else with their lives, and most the legal jobs people find that far out are pretty crummy. There are certainly exceptions, but if a school is only placing 50% into FT permanent JD required work by the nine month mark, long term legal unemployment is a real possibility.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:I know of a person or two who got legal jobs 9+ months after graduation, so "never" is certainly a stretch.

But I think we can agree though that a lot of people who don't get jobs by that point go on to do something else with their lives, and most the legal jobs people find that far out are pretty crummy. There are certainly exceptions, but if a school is only placing 50% into FT permanent JD required work by the nine month mark, long term legal unemployment is a real possibility.
Last edited by Aquila on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know of a person or two who got legal jobs 9+ months after graduation, so "never" is certainly a stretch.

Absolutely from a statistical analysis that is blind to individual consideration. There is no way I won't be in the top 25% at the worst in my class

Lol and what makes you say that?

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:26 pm

PA337 wrote:

Absolutely from a statistical analysis that is blind to individual consideration. There is no way I won't be in the top 25% at the worst in my class

Leaving aside the confidence in finishing 25% and up, that 50% employment rate isn't a giant bloc. I.e., if 50% end up with FT, JD-required jobs, that doesn't mean anyone in the top half is a lock for a job. There's a point at which high grades are no longer determinative, and a whole bunch of factors determine if and how easily someone gets a job. I don't know what that point is at these schools, but I bet it isn't the quarter mark.

Aquila

Postby Aquila » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:

incoming GPA/LSAT relative to classmates, test-taking abilities, time management, etc

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:05 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:

incoming GPA/LSAT relative to classmates, test-taking abilities, time management, etc

In b4 "That's dumb"
and/or
"LOL"

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I know of a person or two who got legal jobs 9+ months after graduation, so "never" is certainly a stretch

This will end well.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:37 pm

PA337 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
PA337 wrote:

Lol. None of that matters at all. GPA doesn't matter because ug and ls are so vastly different. Doing well in ug in no way translates to doing well in LS.

Test taking ability is irrevevant because you've never taken a test similar to a LS exam, and there is no way to know if you will be good at writing one until you do. Many people that are very good test takers struggle in law school.

LSAT probably has the closest correlation of the things you listed, but is still far from a guarantee. Plus i'm guessing your LSAT isn't very good anyway.

Time management. Lol

The arrogance won't help either. You have a 25% chance of being in the top 25%, give or take.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Eh, maybe not a 25% chance. The LSAT is a weak indicator of law school success, so it could be statistically a little higher than that.

But the idea that OP thinks there's no way he won't get at least top 25% is as fucking naive as it is idiotic as it is arrogant.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Hey I said give or take. Haha. But yeah fair enough.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:24 am

Are we beating on the retard now?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:58 pm

What is the likelihood all of these full rides exists? It appears that everyone asking has full rides to every lower ranked school. Either it's a coincidence, self selection, the schools becoming charitable or an intent by some to change facts to get desired responses.

rduffy5

Postby rduffy5 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:At many small firms, though, you will be working the same hours as biglawyers but making a third of the salary

Again, when we say these choices are fine, there is a very strong chance you will not get a job as an attorney, ever. Do not make this decision lightly.

You're such an asshole. Free law school is exactly that -- free. You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 pm

rduffy5 wrote:You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

:D

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 pm

rduffy5 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:At many small firms, though, you will be working the same hours as biglawyers but making a third of the salary

You're such an asshole. Free law school is exactly that -- free. You still end up with a J.D. and, if you pass the bar, an Esquire. That is not something to be taken lightly.

How is saying "Do not take this decision lightly" an asshole thing to say?

Also, lol at "Esquire." Using that term is pretty much equivalent to signing "Douchebag" after your name.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”