Go Practical?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kostya

Go Practical?

Postby Kostya » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:49 am

Last edited by Kostya on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Re: Go Practical?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 am

At a bare minimum, you need to tell us the schools you are considering and the total cost of attendance.

With a 3.8/170, you should have numerous full rides to T20s and maybe even some T14s. A lower T1 is selling yourself way short with your stats.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 am

romothesavior wrote:At a bare minimum, you need to tell us the schools you are considering and the total cost of attendance.

With a 3.8/170, you should have numerous full rides to T20s and maybe even some T14s. A lower T1 is selling yourself way short with your stats.

Kostya

Postby Kostya » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 am

Last edited by Kostya on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iguazu

Postby iguazu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:12 am

Kostya wrote:
T14: 60-70k for living expenses, plus whatever tuition isn't covered by scholarship

Why 60-70k in living expenses? That seems excessive in any location.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 am

Not excessive over 3 years.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 am

iguazu wrote:
Kostya wrote:
T14: 60-70k for living expenses, plus whatever tuition isn't covered by scholarship

It's accurate for NU over 3 years. I took a 60k scholly and I'm still not sure if it was the right choice 2 years after graduation. Full ride at WUSTL feels smarter now, but there is no possible way to know where you end up going in. I dunno, I think a scholly at a lower T14 is CR here.

iguazu

Postby iguazu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:21 am

bjsesq wrote:
iguazu wrote:
Kostya wrote:

It's accurate for NU over 3 years. I took a 60k scholly and I'm still not sure if it was the right choice 2 years after graduation. Full ride at WUSTL feels smarter now, but there is no possible way to know where you end up going in. I dunno, I think a scholly at a lower T14 is CR here.

Ahh yes, guess I shouldn't post when I first wake up.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 am

It's really impossible to give you great advice without more detail. We don't know the placement power of your local T1. You also say you'll be earning 60k in income if you stay local, but how? Do you plan to go part time?

I think a lower T14 on a full ride is the way to go if you can get it (and I think you can), but could be persuaded depending on these other factors you're being cryptic about.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:It's really impossible to give you great advice without more detail. We don't know the placement power of your local T1. You also say you'll be earning 60k in income if you stay local, but how? Do you plan to go part time?

I think a lower T14 on a full ride is the way to go if you can get it (and I think you can), but could be persuaded depending on these other factors you're being cryptic about.

Yeah, you won't out yourself if you at least give us a range of the schools. Like tell us if it is UMN/IA type or is it more KS/Neb? Otherwise this is not a very helpful exercise

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Say the schools kid, you have 2 whole posts on here. There is nothing to out.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 pm

lower T14 on full ride is the way to go. Might be worth EDing NU if you want to stay in the flyover state area, thought a coastal T14 will not bar you from these states (a T1 in those areas, however, would)

Kostya

Postby Kostya » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 am

Last edited by Kostya on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:17 am

Kostya wrote:The school is along the lines of a KS/NE or lower and I did forget to mention that if I went to the lower tier school that I would begin part-time, allowing me to earn some money along the way.

I guess the main question I'm looking to get feedback on is whether or not a T14 gives you a measurably better education, or just better employment opportunities. I'm thinking of a study a while back that showed that students accepted to an Ivy league school were no more or less likely to be successful if they attended that Ivy league school or a lower ranked institution. In that case, it seemed that outcomes were tied to individual talent, drive, etc. than the school attended.

I know the accepted rationale on this site is to compare opportunities based on median outcomes and look at worst case scenarios (and in some cases rightfully so) but are there times when local connections, finances, etc. are worth staying at home for even if you don't have a guaranteed legal job on the other side?

I might be wrong but IIRC that study was regarding undergrad students, which makes it worthless when trying to figure out which law school to attend. (And despite the findings of that study, Ivy is usually the way to go.)

To your second point- if you don't have a guaranteed legal job waiting for you, go to the school with the best mix of job outcome and cost. With your numbers thats probably at least lower T14 on a good sized scholarship. Do not waste it going to a school like KS or NE. To do that would be a waste of your potential.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:32 am

MarkfromWI wrote:
Kostya wrote:The school is along the lines of a KS/NE or lower and I did forget to mention that if I went to the lower tier school that I would begin part-time, allowing me to earn some money along the way.

I guess the main question I'm looking to get feedback on is whether or not a T14 gives you a measurably better education, or just better employment opportunities. I'm thinking of a study a while back that showed that students accepted to an Ivy league school were no more or less likely to be successful if they attended that Ivy league school or a lower ranked institution. In that case, it seemed that outcomes were tied to individual talent, drive, etc. than the school attended.

I know the accepted rationale on this site is to compare opportunities based on median outcomes and look at worst case scenarios (and in some cases rightfully so) but are there times when local connections, finances, etc. are worth staying at home for even if you don't have a guaranteed legal job on the other side?

I might be wrong but IIRC that study was regarding undergrad students, which makes it worthless when trying to figure out which law school to attend. (And despite the findings of that study, Ivy is usually the way to go.)

To your second point- if you don't have a guaranteed legal job waiting for you, go to the school with the best mix of job outcome and cost. With your numbers thats probably at least lower T14 on a good sized scholarship. Do not waste it going to a school like KS or NE. To do that would be a waste of your potential.

Yes, in law school it very much matters where you go. You should definitely go to a t14. If you want to stay in the midwest target NU and you should get a lot of money

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:41 pm

If you apply to the top schools now, you might find yourself at a disadvantage, as it's late in the cycle. Work for a year, earn some money, and apply next year. With a 3.8+ GPA and 170+ LSAT, you will have a good chance at serious scholarship money at the T14.

Kostya wrote:While I understand that I would be selling myself short in terms of the school, is there any merit to the idea of being a big fish in a small pond?

I wouldn't go to a lower-ranked school with the assumption that you will be at the top there. You might do well, but there is a chance that you will be closer to the median, which would make finding a job difficult.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:21 pm

If you want to stay in the upper midwest/plains, and you have those numbers, I wouldn't accept anything less than UMN/Iowa/Wisconsin/Nebraska/etc. on a full scholarship (which you should get about everywhere outside the T14) if you absolutely know you want to practice in one of those states specifically. Otherwise, if just the region in general, then perhaps WUSTL on full scholarship, Northwestern/Michigan on a large scholarship, or UChicago.

You should have great options with those stats. Good luck!

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:Say the schools kid, you have 2 whole posts on here. There is nothing to out.

srsly wtf

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:41 pm

I think you'll be surprised with some offers the lower t14 will throw at you, in which case go to one of those for cheap. Other than that it's hard to give you finite answers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”