WUSTL chances at Big Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
davidcasaletto

New

WUSTL chances at Big Law?

Post by davidcasaletto » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I see from recent LST report that 14.x% get 501+ size biglaw firm jobs from WUSTL

Approximately 7% go to 250+ size firms and 7.7% go to 100+ firms.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... yers/2013/

2 questions here:

1. What are salaries like at the 250+ size firms, and how about 100+ size firms?

2. How do the 15% that make it to big law get those jobs? Is it purely based on their GPA's? further, is it purely based on their GPAs from 1L which lead them to a biglaw internship and then into big law job?

I want to go for big law, I have a full ride offer at WUSTL, I do not want to HAVE to choose big law, or work big law and still feel broke, so I am seriously considering this full ride option. I have been accepted to Georgetown and Cornell so far, still waiting to hear from other top 10s.

GPA: 3.77, LSAT: 169, included an intership at federal public defender on my app too if that matters.

Any advice on my 2 questions and also any general advice about what school to attend, tuition considerations, etc, will be very appreciated.
Last edited by davidcasaletto on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Re: WUSTL chances at Big Law?

Post by eriedoctrine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:31 pm

160k+
125k+
100k+

Keep in mind that the 125k or 100k would go so much further in those markets as opposed to the 160k, which are presumably in Chicago, NYC, DC, etc.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm a WUSTL grad and it's not a bad choice at all for free, but you should have huge scholarships at better schools given your numbers.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:36 pm

90k at Cornell will likely be better than WUSTL for you

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davidcasaletto

New

Post by davidcasaletto » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:90k at Cornell will likely be better than WUSTL for you
I can only hope I'd receive such an offer. I applied early this cycle, in november, after waiting out the last cycle when I waited until february to apply. I hope I made the right choice in waiting! Maybe I should have retook but I studied for a retake and was getting the same practice scores as before, all in the 168-172 range, with most in the middle.

The 169 I got on test day is the same score I got on my first cold timed LSAT :{.
Last edited by davidcasaletto on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:39 pm

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
I can only hope I'd receive such an offer. I applied early this cycle, in november, after waiting out the last cycle when I waited until february to apply. I hope I made the right choice in waiting! Maybe I should have retook but I practice for a retake and was getting the same practice scores as before.

The 169 I got on test day is the same score I got on my first cold timed LSAT :{.
This cracks me up. You could be in the 178+ crowd and be looking at golden opportunities at the T6

davidcasaletto

New

Post by davidcasaletto » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm

iguazu wrote:
davidcasaletto wrote:
I can only hope I'd receive such an offer. I applied early this cycle, in november, after waiting out the last cycle when I waited until february to apply. I hope I made the right choice in waiting! Maybe I should have retook but I practice for a retake and was getting the same practice scores as before.

This cracks me up. You could be in the 178+ crowd and be looking at golden opportunities at the T6

This is dangerous thinking man..I can't put off law school another year for this darn test. I really don't know how I could get to 178+ it seems like I was infinitely stuck at 168-172, with a couple scores higher in timed practice tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:13 pm

davidcasaletto wrote: This is dangerous thinking man..I can't put off law school another year for this darn test.
You absolutely can.

davidcasaletto

New

Post by davidcasaletto » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:21 pm

MCFC wrote:
davidcasaletto wrote: This is dangerous thinking man..I can't put off law school another year for this darn test.
You absolutely can.
It's already been two years for me since undergrad. I really don't know how much cooler a t-6 would be from a t10-7, doesn't it come down to my actual performance/ grades IN law school?

don't stress me out m8!! I've accepted my fate and want to bury my head in the sand to ideas about scoring better...truth be told I don't know how to, I studied for hundreds of hours but always had scores in the 168-172 range, with a few outliers at 174, never higher.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:04 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:
MCFC wrote:
You absolutely can.
It's already been two years for me since undergrad.
You realize this isn't a long time, right?

lawplaya

New

Post by lawplaya » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:06 pm

Big law numbers for the class of 2014 come out next week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm

Waiting a year and getting a few more points could make law school tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of dollars cheaper, while simultaneously increasing your employment prospects many fold. A year off could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars difference in debt + salary.

So yeah, again, I'm a WUSTL grad and it's a fine option for free, and Cornell or Georgetown at 100k+ COA would be a fine option too, but it sounds like you're capable of a T10 for free if you put your back into a solid study plan. You would be crazy not to.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

davidcasaletto wrote: The 169 I got on test day is the same score I got on my first cold timed LSAT :{.
169 is a good score. But 169 cold diagnostic ---> 169 on test day absolutely screams "RETAKE".

Use a stricter review, practice testing, and drilling regimen---> crush the LSAT ---> profit.

Good luck!

Edit: confused this thread with another, I missed that you already have a WUSTL fully
Last edited by Fiero85 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Waiting a year and getting a few more points could make law school tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of dollars cheaper, while simultaneously increasing your employment prospects many fold. A year off could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars difference in debt + salary.

So yeah, again, I'm a WUSTL grad and it's a fine option for free, and Cornell or Georgetown at 100k+ COA would be a fine option too, but it sounds like you're capable of a T10 for free if you put your back into a solid study plan. You would be crazy not to.
This.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
davidcasaletto wrote: The 169 I got on test day is the same score I got on my first cold timed LSAT :{.
169 is a good score. But 169 cold diagnostic ---> 169 on test day absolutely screams "RETAKE".

Use a stricter review, practice testing, and drilling regimen---> crush the LSAT ---> profit.

Good luck!

(At a bare minimum negotiate WUSTL up to a fully).
Yeah dude, fix your prep and get 175+.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 pm

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

davidcasaletto wrote:This is dangerous thinking man..I can't put off law school another year for this darn test.
have you consumed some sort of time-release poison, the antidote for which only exists at law school?

if so, you're right, too dangerous.

if not, it's actually not dangerous at all, and you should absolutely listen to the dozen or so people here telling you to retake if you want biglaw.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:36 pm

grades are important but they're not the only factor. there's not a big gap in competition b/w wustl and harvard. it isn't like you're jumping tiers. the valedictorian at wustl will always have options. assuming you'll be top quarter if you semi-try is confidence, assuming you'll be valedictorian is cockinesss.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”