GW vs WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 pm

GW
5
13%
WUSTL
11
28%
None/Retake/Don't Go/I Didn't Read The Post
23
59%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

tuxedocat wrote:
ballcaps wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:Hey guys, give it a rest. People do and don't apply to law schools for any number of insane reasons. I heard someone say she wants to go to GULC because that's where Olivia Pope went. Who cares. I disagree with that girl and the OP, but it's not my decision.


lolol at this terrible sentiment.

your claim amounts to "all reasons are good (or at least acceptable) reasons," otherwise you'd agree that avoiding a school based on archaic religious ties or seeking one based on pop culture is nuts and worthy of criticism.

if you believe that claim, then you stand diametrically opposed, not only to this board, but to the entire enterprise of law.


No, my point is that everyone has shitty reasons for choosing or not choosing a law school. I think the point has been sufficiently made that this is a crappy reason, so perhaps the thread can focus on giving advice rather than personal attacks. No one can pretend that they are 100% rational about choosing a law school, so it seems silly to pile on someone who actually has a reasonable question about choosing between two peer schools. But of course expecting empathy and compassion on a message board is hardly rational either.

This is wrong. People can most certainly be 100% rational about a law school decision. The fact that so many people are trying to help OP make a good decision shows empathy.

User avatar
Iagreetotheseterms
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 am

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby Iagreetotheseterms » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:43 am

DrSpaceman wrote:
FYI- GWU's motto translates to "God is our trust," and the first name provisionally approved for Wash U was "Eliot Seminary."


Thanks I've decided to deposit at WUSTL because of that. :wink:


Joking.

I value the flexibility that less debt will provide me in terms of choosing a job more than the location in which I have a job.


I tip my fedora to all you gentlesirs! For surely one who wishes to separate his education from institutions run by those who value faith and superstition over reason and evidence is both foolish and immature.


FINAL Comment. Feel free to close the thread.
Last edited by Iagreetotheseterms on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 am

Dude I'm an atheist myself and I think your attitude on this is ridiculous.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am

GULC is 'affiliated' with religion in an entirely unnoticeable way, in my experience at the school. Pure anecdote silliness example: My 'Law and Religion' elective was taught by a moderate Jewish professor, half the class was agnostic at best, and the other half was a smattering of rabid atheists, non-practicing Jewish/Christian, and LDS. For a 'Jesuit' school, I'm come across precious few devout Christians of any stripe in the student or faculty body.

Going to throw out an even more drastic suggestion against my better judgment: wait for more than a year and try to get experience elsewhere. I 'always wanted' to go to law school, but ended up taking 5 years between college and law school so I could figure out better what I could actually do with the damnable degree and whether it made sense with my career path.

If you want to be in law, there are paralegal jobs, legal consultants, government positions, etc. that can provide relevant experience (and yes, many more that do not - you need to find the right job). If there's a particular industry you want to be in, try to work on the business side in that area so you understand the client a little better down the road.

Not only will you come back to the Law School decision-making process a little wiser and more-informed, but you'll now have a career to weigh against going to law school - you're gonna have to really want that damn degree. Moreover, you might do better on the LSAT, in school, and at interviews - this part is speculation though, I only have my own anecdata to go off for that point. 21 year-old me did not have the patience or studying ability that 26 year-old me did. 21 year-old me didn't have the first damn clue what being a lawyer actually means in this economy. 26 year-old me.... still didn't, but was better informed than 5 years before (Thanks, TLS!).

TL;DR version - go anywhere else for a while, more than a year. Build career and life experience - you're not going to be an 'old maid' if you apply to law school at 25 or 26.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:
I tip my fedora to all you gentlesirs! For surely one who wishes to separate his education from institutions run by those who value faith and superstition over reason and evidence is both foolish and immature.


FINAL Comment. Feel free to close the thread.



For surely!

The funniest part is your desire to build a safe cocoon of likeminded neckbeards won't work. You're the only one making decisions using these retarded criteria. You're going to encounter Catholics at WUSTL and you would've encountered atheists at GULC. Your desire to insulate yourself is immature and it's not going to serve you well. As a lawyer, you will almost certainly have to work with people/organizations you don't personally agree with. I hope you grow out of this.

Good luck.

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby The Dark Shepard » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm assuming OP is a new "deconvert". Those are always annoying

Also, you apparently don't know much about Jesuits to begin with. So good job on being foolish, immature, AND ignorant

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10707
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GW vs WUSTL

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:59 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:The funniest part is your desire to build a safe cocoon of likeminded neckbeards won't work.


My alt-rock band is totally going to be named 'The Likeminded Neckbeards' now.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests