Best school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best school for my options?

George Washington
9%
William and Mary
6%
Georgetown
34%
Other (please explain)
51%

Total votes: 128

NYCFAN1

Re: Best school?

Postby NYCFAN1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm

obviously George Washington

anyone starting a career in politics would be dumb not to attend the institution the first president attended

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Still trying to figure out why GULC is an option in the poll when OP was dinged.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

brianiac wrote:Sorry I'm not going to spend 12 hours a day studying for the LSAT.
Literally nobody is saying you need to do that.

brianiac wrote:I got a good score
lol, no, you didn't.

brianiac wrote:and have a very decent GPA,
doubtful

brianiac wrote:and expect to get into GW, which is a top school.
No, it's not.

brianiac wrote:This place is toxic.
Welcome to the internet. Just because your tiny pink feelings are hurt doesn't mean we're not right.

brianiac wrote:Apparently it's so easy to get into the 20th best law school in the country and you'd have to be lazy not to get in. :roll:
Well...yeah. A person of reasonable intelligence should be able to get into a T14 or a strong regional with a big scholarship. If they don't, they shouldn't go to law school.

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I mean I only studied for the LSAT on weekends and did pretty well on it, it's not like it's THAT hard to study for it. It's just silly for you to be so short-sighted and think hard work will overcome everything when you can't even put in a marginal effort now.

Also you still didn't even get into GW.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:44 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:Also you still didn't even get into GW.

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
brianiac wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Just saw you're WLed at GW.

Honestly, retake. No rush to go to law school.

No, I don't want to take a gap year, that's why I'm not retaking.

You should reconsider.

Why don't you want to take a gap year? I am genuinely interested.

ETA: Why do you so strongly assume that you're going to get into GW? What are your numbers?

It's just not an option. I have to go now, it's the only possibility on the table.

I think I'll get into GW because I have decent numbers, not going to share them but I do have a GPA that is above their median and I was in the top 20% on the LSAT.

Gray wrote:
brianiac wrote:No, I don't want to take a gap year ever agree with the other politcal party, that's why I'm not retaking voting in favor of this perfectly reasonable bill.

:lol: Yup, definitely a budding politician.

OP in all seriousness, developing connections as an adult professional in your own state is more often than not how you get elected. If you're a KJD you probably don't have meaningful connections. Go to the law school that gives you the best chance of getting a job in your home state at the lowest possible cost, and be prepared to work for ~10 years before trying to move into an elected role.

Politicians from flyover states tend to start in smaller, more local roles and grow upward and outward gradually throughout their career. Research the careers of reps and senators from your own state. Especially the early parts of their careers.

Anyway, given your stubborn refusal to take the educated advice ITT seriously, I'm pretty sure you'll be a successful politician in no time.

I'm not refusing to take advice, but there are certain things that are non-negotiable. As for working for ten years before running, I'm just not going to do that. It may take ten years to win a race, but it won't be for lack of trying. Like I said, my plan includes working in my home state after graduation, I'm not afraid of having to work a legal job and in fact I think it would be interesting.

InTheHouse

Postby InTheHouse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:51 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:Best part of this whole thread: kid proclaims himself to be a "hard worker" but apparently didn't work hard enough at either his GPA or LSAT to get into GW...

This is the part that cracks me up the most about people who feel like they should have no trouble transferring.

Also, for someone hoping to run for office as a Republican, OP's path makes little sense. Education? Experience? Seriously, what made you think these things matter in Republican primaries anymore? Get rich or get a gig out-crazying other people on the Tea Party circuit. Either route should work.

FWIW, state flagship is your best bet.

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Still trying to figure out why GULC is an option in the poll when OP was dinged.

I meant to write American, sorry.

rinkrat19 wrote:
brianiac wrote:Sorry I'm not going to spend 12 hours a day studying for the LSAT.
Literally nobody is saying you need to do that.

brianiac wrote:I got a good score
lol, no, you didn't.

brianiac wrote:and have a very decent GPA,
doubtful

brianiac wrote:and expect to get into GW, which is a top school.
No, it's not.

brianiac wrote:This place is toxic.
Welcome to the internet. Just because your tiny pink feelings are hurt doesn't mean we're not right.

brianiac wrote:Apparently it's so easy to get into the 20th best law school in the country and you'd have to be lazy not to get in. :roll:
Well...yeah. A person of reasonable intelligence should be able to get into a T14 or a strong regional with a big scholarship. If they don't, they shouldn't go to law school.

Uh, what is your problem? Yes, I got a good LSAT and I have a GPA that is quite competitive. GW is a top school with a good reputation and solid rankings. The TLS distortion field is strong. Apparently you can do everything right and have very solid options and it's still not prestigious enough. Not everyone is going to Harvard, I feel sorry that you think everything else is garbage.

MidwestLifer

Postby MidwestLifer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 pm

You don't have very solid options. You didn't do everything right.

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:53 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:I mean I only studied for the LSAT on weekends and did pretty well on it, it's not like it's THAT hard to study for it. It's just silly for you to be so short-sighted and think hard work will overcome everything when you can't even put in a marginal effort now.

Also you still didn't even get into GW.

Well I'm going to get in. Also, I just don't have time for a retake right now, and it's too late for it to make a difference anyways. Can we stop talking about the LSAT please? Just looking for input about my choices.

InTheHouse wrote:
MidwestLifer wrote:Best part of this whole thread: kid proclaims himself to be a "hard worker" but apparently didn't work hard enough at either his GPA or LSAT to get into GW...

This is the part that cracks me up the most about people who feel like they should have no trouble transferring.

Also, for someone hoping to run for office as a Republican, OP's path makes little sense. Education? Experience? Seriously, what made you think these things matter in Republican primaries anymore? Get rich or get a gig out-crazying other people on the Tea Party circuit. Either route should work.

FWIW, state flagship is your best bet.

I'm looking into the state flagship option. But why do you think I'm a Republican? I'm not saying I'm not, but why do you think that?

brianiac

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:56 pm

I have to go to class now, I'll check in later, but please everyone do me a favor. I'm not interested in hearing about how the 20th best school in the country isn't prestigious enough for you, I'm not interested in retaking since it won't make any difference anyways. I'm really looking for pros/cons about these schools, can you please focus on that? Are there any advantages to William and Mary over George Washington? Are there other schools relatively near D.C. that I should look into? Let's stay on topic people!

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:57 pm

MidwestLifer wrote:You don't have very solid options. You didn't do everything right.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:59 pm

brianiac wrote:Well I'm going to get in. Also, I just don't have time for a retake right now, and it's too late for it to make a difference anyways. Can we stop talking about the LSAT please? Just looking for input about my choices.

No you're not. You've been receiving input this whole time and resoundingly refusing to hear it. Your plan is not good. Your choices aren't good. You very well may not get into GW. American IS a dumpster fire. And taking a gap year IS any option. It's always an option.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:No you're not. You've been receiving input this whole time and resoundingly refusing to hear it. Your plan is not good. Your choices aren't good. You very well may not get into GW. American IS a dumpster fire. And taking a gap year IS any option. It's always an option.

It's, like, the best option. For anyone, not just OP.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Still trying to figure out why OP won't take a gap year and study for the LSAT while getting work experience.

You're no special snowflake, OP. Sorry to burst your bubble.

rdawkins28

Postby rdawkins28 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you want to go into politics in your home state first, you're likely better off just going into politics in your home state. If you must go to law school, go to law school in your home state. The networking you can accomplish there to establish your political career at home is going to do more to set you on your path than going to law school in DC.

Agree. Also consider if the LS would have any negative or positive impact on your potential voters. Probably doesn't matter for them most part. For example, Harvard would probably help any where. But if you're from Louisiana, few voters knows about W&M, but they sure would like you a little more if you went to LSU. And since you're going solo anyway, it hardly matters where you go for the most part (existing connections would hire you based on trust, Joe-blow off the street wouldn't know City University of New York School of Law from New York Law School from New York University School of Law).

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:08 pm

brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.

brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics.

You're gonna get fucking rekt, nerd.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Your LSAT score is bad, your law school choices are terrible, and your life plan (going to a school like American in order to come back home and run for office) is really, really stupid.

You clearly think you have it all figured out, so don't come here to ask for our opinion.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.

brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics.

We'll see who gets rekt when he's defunding ur VA in 20 years.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Dat's political suicide, brah. SUPPORT THE TROOPS

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:18 pm

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm

TTH wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

We'll see who gets rekt when he's defunding ur VA in 20 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Guys, I have a question. I'm thinking about eating either dogshit or catshit and then taking a career in getting pegged. Which one should I eat that will give me the best shot at this career? DON'T TELL ME NOT TO DO ANY OF IT, MY FUCKING MIND IS MADE UP.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 pm

This thread is amazing.

OP, go to American at sticker. It's named after America, so you'll be set on running for president.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”