Best school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best school for my options?

George Washington
11
9%
William and Mary
8
6%
Georgetown
44
34%
Other (please explain)
65
51%
 
Total votes: 128

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11019
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Best school?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm

brianiac wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.


Good Luck getting the responses you want, you won't see many. If you were looking for people to tell you you're making the right choice you're in the wrong place. American is a dumpster fire, GW will cost a fortune with no aid, and William and Mary is okay(If its cheap) if you will accept any kind of legal job in Virginia.

I am aware that American is a Tier 2, but that doesn't make it a dumpster fire. Take off your prestige blinders. American will be cheaper for me AND the students won't be as qualified or intelligent as they will be in George Washington. Therefore, it would seem that American is the better choice if I want to excel and transfer. On the other hand, George Washington is more of an insurance policy. I would not need to do amazing as I would in American, because of the George Washington brand name. I'm thinking about the long-term here.


I thought we were pretending that you're rich. Why is cost now a factor?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Best school?

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm

In honor of President's Day...

Put all eggs in the GW basket.

bl1nds1ght
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby bl1nds1ght » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm

brianiac wrote:Truman didn't even have a college degree. Same with Scott Walker. Did their lack of prestige stop their march to the top? NO.

So then what the fuck are you doing wanting to go to law school?

/loophole and troll 2/10

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm

transferror wrote:calling troll


It's like they aren't even trying anymore.

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:11 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Explain your long term plan, please. Where are you hoping to run for office? When? Do you think Georgetown gives you a reasonable shot at BigCongress or something?

I am going to run for State Senate in my home state, then ultimately the House. I know it's going to be a tough, uphill climb, and I'm not afraid of that.

CoffeeIsLife wrote:I definitely don't have "prestige blinders" I go to a State Flagship. Ignore the rankings. American is a dump because only 44% of students that walk through their doors has a job 9 months after graduating. If you don't believe me check this out http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/american/2013/ Transferring is extremely hard. Expect to be median

I know about lstscorereports, but because my plan is to set up my own practice and then run for office, it doesn't bother me that American has bad placement. Also, I am not expecting to be median, I've always been a hard worker and I know many attending American will not be.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
transferror wrote:calling troll


It's like they aren't even trying anymore.


Agreed. Troll. No one is this oblivious.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:12 pm

You are almost certainly trolling, but if not, you should not go to law school in DC if you want to run for office. Go to school in your state and network there.

Also, you did your argument no favors by naming a bunch of politicians that didn't go to law school. But I do agree that a law degree helps in politics, but only if you are at H/Y or your state flagship. American/GW/and even georgetown won't do anything for you

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11019
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Best school?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
transferror wrote:calling troll


It's like they aren't even trying anymore.


Agreed. Troll. No one is this oblivious.


I think you're seriously overestimating the general public.

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/2013/ - better than American, but 27% of the 77% employment score is school funded - giving GW a 50% employment rate which requires JD/Bar passage. For the right price (read: $$$$; but we're ignoring money in your case because you're rich...), GW could be alright.

Thank you for your serious response. GW is my top choice at this point.

ballcaps wrote:what brand name?

George Washington has a growing reputation. It is no longer a commuter school, it is a top university.

rinkrat19 wrote:
brianiac wrote:which would be the best for network building in D.C.?

Yale.

I'm not getting in. Unless it's worth it as a hail mary?

bl1nds1ght wrote:Seems pretty hypocritical of him calling us out for supposed preftige-whoring when he's obviously doing it, himself.

How so? I'm simply stating a FACT about the quality of student at American vs George Washington. Apparently stating FACTS make you a hypocrite. I now know how much to value your opinion now, thanks.

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

transferror wrote:calling troll

Yes, you are trolling my thread. Now get out.

LET'S GET IT wrote:
brianiac wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
brianiac wrote:I'm going to law school to begin a career in politics. I have been accepted to William and Mary and American. I am waitlisted at George Washington, was rejected at Georgetown. For now, assume that my options are William and Mary, American, and George Washington.

Which has the best program for politics? George Washington has the best ranking and the best reputation. Also, which would give me the best chance to transfer to Georgetown? Do NOT tell me not to go to law school to enter politics; lots of politicians went to law school. I just want to figure out the best one. Also, do NOT ask me about money, and do NOT tell me to retake, thank you for your cooperation in advance. Pretend that I am very wealthy and have taken the LSAT three times if that helps you.


Good Luck getting the responses you want, you won't see many. If you were looking for people to tell you you're making the right choice you're in the wrong place. American is a dumpster fire, GW will cost a fortune with no aid, and William and Mary is okay(If its cheap) if you will accept any kind of legal job in Virginia.

I am aware that American is a Tier 2, but that doesn't make it a dumpster fire. Take off your prestige blinders. American will be cheaper for me AND the students won't be as qualified or intelligent as they will be in George Washington. Therefore, it would seem that American is the better choice if I want to excel and transfer. On the other hand, George Washington is more of an insurance policy. I would not need to do amazing as I would in American, because of the George Washington brand name. I'm thinking about the long-term here.


Lol at clueless 0L pretending to ask a question and then telling everyone they are wrong when they are actually giving him/her sound advice.

OP, I guess you are a "I want to be right" instead of a "I want to get it right" person. Going into any law school with the plan of transferring is incredibly short-sighted.

Also, you can't go to the school you think gives you the best chance at politics. You will almost for sure have to have a job for a while before politics unless your last name is Clinton or Bush. None of your options have great employment numbers.

None of these schools are worth paying a lot of money for. Oh, and you telling someone to take off their "prestige blinders" in dumb. Law is a prestige obsessed industry. Look on the Supreme Court. How many justices can you find that went to W&M, American, or even Georgetown? Spoiler alert: they all went to H or Y (Ginsburg went the H and then to Columbia I think).

I'm sorry it isn't what you want to hear, but it's absolutely the truth. Good luck to you.

I appreciate your (mostly) thoughtful response, but I'm not clueless and I'm not telling people they are wrong. I am just stating the facts. I want to make a run for state office right after law school, but if I don't win, I'm more than happy to practice law for a few years. Although politics is my main passion, I am very interested in law and think I would be an excellent litigator. Also, I don't think law prestige is the same as politics prestige. Why should I compare the credentials needed to run for State Senate with the credentials needed to be a Supreme Court Justice?

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 pm

People like OP are the reason I don't feel bad about experiencing/enjoying schadenfreude so much.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm

brianiac wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Georgetown is the only one of these schools that has any semblance of a tradition or history of producing national politicians. Not transfers though, your TTT upbringing would come up during opposition research in your first primary fight and you'd be done forever.

There are many politicians with less than prestigious backgrounds. Look at Reagan. Truman didn't even have a college degree. Same with Scott Walker. Did their lack of prestige stop their march to the top? NO.


I was making fun of you because you're an idiot

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm

[/quote]
I appreciate your (mostly) thoughtful response, but I'm not clueless and I'm not telling people they are wrong. I am just stating the facts. I want to make a run for state office right after law school, but if I don't win, I'm more than happy to practice law for a few years. Although politics is my main passion, I am very interested in law and think I would be an excellent litigator. Also, I don't think law prestige is the same as politics prestige. Why should I compare the credentials needed to run for State Senate with the credentials needed to be a Supreme Court Justice?[/quote]

But if you want to run for the state senate from your home state after law school, why would you go to DC for 3 years and be away from that state and away from making those connections? Your plan needs some work
Last edited by thebobs1987 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BearsintheRafters
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

Re: Best school?

Postby BearsintheRafters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm

You should clearly go to California. California is placing more politicians into the House of Representatives than any state. I wouldn't go to the House of Representatives POSITIVE that you're going to make Senate though; even at median, getting into the Senate is a game of blind luck.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:24 pm

OP, how old are you?

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 pm

"hereismyhand", stop trolling my thread please.

Uschoolqb10 wrote:Just saw you're WLed at GW.

Honestly, retake. No rush to go to law school.

No, I don't want to take a gap year, that's why I'm not retaking.

swampman wrote:
brianiac wrote:There are many politicians with less than prestigious backgrounds. Look at Reagan. Truman didn't even have a college degree. Same with Scott Walker. Did their lack of prestige stop their march to the top? NO.

If you don't even need a college degree to succeed in politics, why would you go to law school?

Because a law degree teaches you about lawmaking and is a networking opportunity.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you want to go into politics in your home state first, you're likely better off just going into politics in your home state. If you must go to law school, go to law school in your home state. The networking you can accomplish there to establish your political career at home is going to do more to set you on your path than going to law school in DC.

The law school in my home state is awful though, I don't think there will be many people serious about going into government there. Also, I in D.C. there will be many politics-oriented students, I can make valuable connections for the future.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby ballcaps » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:26 pm

brianiac wrote:
ballcaps wrote:what brand name?

George Washington has a growing reputation. It is no longer a commuter school, it is a top university.

oops, my bad.

brianiac wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
brianiac wrote:which would be the best for network building in D.C.?

Yale.

I'm not getting in. Unless it's worth it as a hail mary?

totally.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 pm

If you want to make valuable connections, work on the Hill. You will make almost none by going to law school
Last edited by thebobs1987 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:27 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:You are almost certainly trolling, but if not, you should not go to law school in DC if you want to run for office. Go to school in your state and network there.

Also, you did your argument no favors by naming a bunch of politicians that didn't go to law school. But I do agree that a law degree helps in politics, but only if you are at H/Y or your state flagship. American/GW/and even georgetown won't do anything for you

Okay, so that's two votes for state flagship. I guess this is something I need to research then.

jbagelboy wrote:
brianiac wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Georgetown is the only one of these schools that has any semblance of a tradition or history of producing national politicians. Not transfers though, your TTT upbringing would come up during opposition research in your first primary fight and you'd be done forever.

There are many politicians with less than prestigious backgrounds. Look at Reagan. Truman didn't even have a college degree. Same with Scott Walker. Did their lack of prestige stop their march to the top? NO.


I was making fun of you because you're an idiot

What a thoughtless, juvenile response. Grow up. Also, stop trying to interrupt my thread. Thank you.

User avatar
MidwestLifer
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby MidwestLifer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Best part of this whole thread: kid proclaims himself to be a "hard worker" but apparently didn't work hard enough at either his GPA or LSAT to get into GW...

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:But if you want to run for the state senate from your home state after law school, why would you go to DC for 3 years and be away from that state and away from making those connections? Your plan needs some work

Like I said, I'm thinking about the long-term. We're talking life-long connections that will be valuable ten, fifteen years down the road. I've also lived in this state my whole life and have good connections.

BearsintheRafters wrote:You should clearly go to California. California is placing more politicians into the House of Representatives than any state. I wouldn't go to the House of Representatives POSITIVE that you're going to make Senate though; even at median, getting into the Senate is a game of blind luck.

Okay, this is just stupid.

TheSpanishMain wrote:OP, how old are you?

Why do you care?

thebobs1987 wrote:If you want to make valuable connections, work on the Hill. You will make almost none by going to law school

I don't want to take a gap. I know that's one possible route though, it's just not for me.

User avatar
lashley
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Best school?

Postby lashley » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm

OP - if you are really serious about this, then going to your state flagship is for little/no debt is absolutely the right choice here. Spend the time in law school making connections in your state.

The "network" you build in DC at American/GW will be fairly meaningless in your home state. Best case scenario, you would have to spend 5-10 years in your home state in the State House/Senate before you would ever be a viable candidate to run for federal office.

That's my honest response as someone who spends a lot of time in politics.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Best school?

Postby Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:35 pm

brianiac wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Just saw you're WLed at GW.

Honestly, retake. No rush to go to law school.

No, I don't want to take a gap year, that's why I'm not retaking.


You should reconsider.

Why don't you want to take a gap year? I am genuinely interested.

ETA: Why do you so strongly assume that you're going to get into GW? What are your numbers?

brianiac
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:38 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I thought we were pretending that you're rich. Why is cost now a factor?

I'm not particularly concerned about the money factor. I'm making a decision that I have to live with for the rest of my life. But sure, if I can save some money I'll do it, that's only sensible.

MidwestLifer wrote:Best part of this whole thread: kid proclaims himself to be a "hard worker" but apparently didn't work hard enough at either his GPA or LSAT to get into GW...

Sorry I'm not going to spend 12 hours a day studying for the LSAT. I got a good score and have a very decent GPA, and expect to get into GW, which is a top school. This place is toxic. Apparently it's so easy to get into the 20th best law school in the country and you'd have to be lazy not to get in. :roll:

lashley wrote:OP - if you are really serious about this, then going to your state flagship is for little/no debt is absolutely the right choice here. Spend the time in law school making connections in your state.

The "network" you build in DC at American/GW will be fairly meaningless in your home state. Best case scenario, you would have to spend 5-10 years in your home state in the State House/Senate before you would ever be a viable candidate to run for federal office.

That's my honest response as someone who spends a lot of time in politics.

Alright, I am seriously going to explore the state school option. Still, it's hard to pass up the opportunity to go to GW (when I get that opportunity). You only get to make this decision once in life. I don't want to be 50 and look back wishing I hadn't settled.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5991
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Best school?

Postby Gray » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:40 pm

brianiac wrote:No, I don't want to take a gap year ever agree with the other politcal party, that's why I'm not retaking voting in favor of this perfectly reasonable bill.

:lol: Yup, definitely a budding politician.

OP in all seriousness, developing connections as an adult professional in your own state is more often than not how you get elected. If you're a KJD you probably don't have meaningful connections. Go to the law school that gives you the best chance of getting a job in your home state at the lowest possible cost, and be prepared to work for ~10 years before trying to move into an elected role.

Politicians from flyover states tend to start in smaller, more local roles and grow upward and outward gradually throughout their career. Research the careers of reps and senators from your own state. Especially the early parts of their careers.

Anyway, given your stubborn refusal to take the educated advice ITT seriously, I'm pretty sure you'll be a successful politician in no time.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests