Best school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best school for my options?

George Washington
9%
William and Mary
6%
Georgetown
34%
Other (please explain)
51%

Total votes: 128

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Re: Best school?

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:42 am

brianiac wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:No you're not. You've been receiving input this whole time and resoundingly refusing to hear it. Your plan is not good. Your choices aren't good. You very well may not get into GW. American IS a dumpster fire. And taking a gap year IS any option. It's always an option.

I'm not refusing to hear it. I have my own reasons for not wanting to take a gap year, why is that such a ridiculous premise?

Because at age 21/22, your super-absolutely-important reasons for not taking a gap year are not remotely as important or as critical or as inflexible as you think they are. It's not your fault you don't know this; you're a K-JD with no life experience outside of school and no perspective. You can't know how unimportant your reasons are without that experience or perspective; it's just the way it is.

However, those of us with a little bit more life behind us can know how totally unimportant your reasons are. If you wanted to be a WISE 21/22 year-old K-JD, you could pay attention to the wisdom and experience of those who have gone out before you. You want my best wisdom- Go live some life away from school, improve your score, and then come back and try again with better perspective on the world and with better options.

Frankly, the ridiculousness of your plan indicates a real lack of understanding of how the world (political and otherwise) actually works. Again, this is not your fault (see aforementioned lack of perspective and experience). Again, my recommendation is the same (go get some perspective and experience by living life).

InTheHouse

Postby InTheHouse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:49 am

BVest wrote:
InTheHouse wrote:You sounds like one? Also, what about the recent history suggests that education and relevant experience matter in Republican primaries anyway? If boobs like Yoho, Gohmert, Angle, (Christine) O'Donnell can get nominated, so can you. Get rich or get on wingnut radio/TV. Those are probably better bets to get where you want to go.

In OP's defense, even if he wants to be a boob, Yoho has a DVM and Gohmert has a JD and is a former judge trial and appellate. Meanwhile Angle and O'Donnell lost.

OP's real bar to elective office is the primary. Demographics and electoral environment determine general election outcomes (assuming OP doesn't pull an Akin/Mourdock).

Are we really sure there is a causal relationship between Yoho's and Gohmert's educational/work credentials and their winning seats in Congress? Plenty of well credentialed Congressmen have been torched in primaries against complete bozos in the last decade.

Pete Venkman

Postby Pete Venkman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:01 pm

The job of TLS has always been to disabuse people of their misguided optimism and youthful confidence, and to give them a taste of the real world. As much as it hurts, its usually necessary to hear. Probably half the people who go to GW have the same idea and very few of them are likely to succeed in politics. I know you're eager to get started with your career, but taking a year to building some connections and get a better LSAT score is almost certainly the best way to go.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:05 pm

As a reminder, OP is WLed at GW. And dinged at GULC, despite his/her poll.

The schools the OP are in at are American and W&M.
Last edited by Username123 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:As a reminder, OP is WLed at GW.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 pm

yeah but he feels very confident he'll get in.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:07 pm

ballcaps wrote:

So does every guy going out on a Saturday night.

Most of them go home empty-handed.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

BUT NOT SO EMPTY WHEN THEY GET HOME, MIRITE?

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:15 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:
ballcaps wrote:

BUT NOT SO EMPTY WHEN THEY GET HOME, MIRITE?

lol

I really do hope OP is either a troll or is considering the sound advice from this thread. Objectively, getting a job, retaking the LSAT and getting into better schools/the same schools at a much better price is the most logical answer to me in this situation.

I have a hard time understanding what the issue with taking at least one year off to better your options, assuming law school is the route desired. It's an investment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, if done correctly.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:So does every guy going out on a Saturday night.

thanks for correcting my obviously-sincere post.

bjsesq wrote:BUT NOT SO EMPTY WHEN THEY GET HOME, MIRITE?

ljljljl

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:30 pm

The LSAT might be rigged, but 160 just won't cut it for GW. They're packing that mid-160's fire. If you're going to end up being the greatest politician to ever govern America, now is the time to find a way to pull some strings and get into GW. If you can get into the top 3 with those numbers, then I'll believe you are definitely legit and will be a big-time future world leader.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Snow day means I had time to slog through this swamp of shit and I have no problem letting the OP fuck himself with whichever trap-school-dildo of his choosing.

DrSpaceman

Postby DrSpaceman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Scott Walker might be the next POTUS (ok...LOL, but still...) and he never even finished college. If you worked in local or state politics during undergrad, you'd probably know that nearly every lawyer in the state legislature is a grad of the state flagship. If you didn't work in politics during undergrad, you should consider doing so before you go to law school. Day to day politics work is fucking awful unless you love begging for money.

In fact, trying to hustle a better scholarship would be good practice for what the first 10 years of your life in politics is going to look like.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:47 pm

yo they gonna dig up this thread if you have political aspirations; you messed up man

jbc0302

Postby jbc0302 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:14 pm

brianiac wrote:To those of you who have been giving me real feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to actually answer my question. I'm getting a lot of good information in this thread. To those of you intent on derailing this with talk of LSAT and taking a gap year, please find someone else to harass, thank you.

OP- I am not sure if you are still reading this thread, but it is worth it to take a minute here and point out why people are saying these things (even if they are not saying them in particularly nice ways).

Many, many people come onto these forums and once pressed reveal bad reasons for not wanting to retake/take a gap year. I AM NOT SAYING THAT YOU HAVE THESE REASONS. But without knowing, the TLS assumption is that you do because there are so few reasons that require a person to immediately take on large student loan debt for a three-year degree, which by definition is anything but immediate. In addition, Harvard Law is the only school with any reasonable basis to believe it would add value to a political career, and I feel comfortable saying that is not in the cards for you right now. Politics is about people first, and then lawmaking, and law school is not about people.

Posters are being contrary because your plan goes against virtually every grain of current TLS wisdom: go to law school with a good LSAT (however long that takes) so that you will have minimal debt at either a strong regional or a T14, with the intent of practicing law. There is simply no other set of plans that makes the time, debt, and statistically likely career outcomes make sense for about 99% of people.

If you want to continue this path, I HEARTILY endorse other recommendations that you go to your strong regional and network. Pay as little as possible and focus on where you are from and will be starting out - those people will carry you through to DC, and you can network to your hearts content in DC if and when you arrive there. All politics is local, and you will need to learn and love that if you haven't.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Georgetown is the only one of these schools that has any semblance of a tradition or history of producing national politicians. Not transfers though, your TTT upbringing would come up during opposition research in your first primary fight and you'd be done forever.

This has been overlooked. LOL

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 pm

brianiac wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
brianiac wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Georgetown is the only one of these schools that has any semblance of a tradition or history of producing national politicians. Not transfers though, your TTT upbringing would come up during opposition research in your first primary fight and you'd be done forever.

There are many politicians with less than prestigious backgrounds. Look at Reagan. Truman didn't even have a college degree. Same with Scott Walker. Did their lack of prestige stop their march to the top? NO.

I was making fun of you because you're an idiot

What a thoughtless, juvenile response. Grow up. Also, stop trying to interrupt my thread. Thank you.

More thoughtless and juvenile than a college senior seeking a career in republican politics via the GW waitlist? I'm still making fun of you because you've only entrenched yourself as more of an idiot.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:43 pm

We need a lot more moderation in here. This thread has become a troll feeding frenzy and should be locked. Mods, apprehend this villain!

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:We need a lot more moderation in here. This thread has become a troll feeding frenzy and should be locked. Mods, apprehend this villain!

what are your thoughts on this AUTHORITARIAN EXTENSION OF ESTABLISHMENT POWER, op?

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:14 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:Scott Walker might be the next POTUS (ok...LOL, but still...) and he never even finished college. If you worked in local or state politics during undergrad, you'd probably know that nearly every lawyer in the state legislature is a grad of the state flagship. If you didn't work in politics during undergrad, you should consider doing so before you go to law school. Day to day politics work is fucking awful unless you love begging for money.

In fact, trying to hustle a better scholarship would be good practice for what the first 10 years of your life in politics is going to look like.

This is TCR. Try holding some luncheons with adcomms and the like to gain admission and then beg for some sweet $

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:53 pm

OP, you should definitely consider some of the comments ITT.

My genuine advice echoes the "state flagship" comments. By going to a DC school with plans to start a career in politics (a la state office), you're putting the cart before the horse, and that really does not make a lot of sense.

Stay in-state. The benefits are two-fold: (1) save serious $$$ and (2) make political connections in-state.

I know you want to make DC connections while in law school etc etc etc., but by the time you finally make it back to DC (if you ever do at all), no one is going to remember you, and if they do remember you, they won't give a shit anyway. AND this is assuming these "connections" are still in DC and have pull when you make your return.

You can get far more bang for your buck at a strong state school if you want a career in politics. Better for your wallet, better for your career.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 pm

You get more bang in a gangbang.

All distasteful jokes aside, all this advice sounds reasonable. Readers, ignore the OP, but please heed the advice of your fellow TLSers. Thank you.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Google ad for this page:

Fitting.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:51 pm

SBL wrote:Google ad for this page:

Fitting.

They are really distancing themselves from the Cooley name, eh?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
SBL wrote:Google ad for this page:

Fitting.

They are really distancing themselves from the Cooley name, eh?

Now that they're affiliated with an actual school can you still get in without a bachelor's degree?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”