Best school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best school for my options?

George Washington
9%
William and Mary
6%
Georgetown
35%
Other (please explain)
50%

Total votes: 129

Username123

Silver

Re: Best school?

Post by Username123 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:31 pm

bjsesq wins this thread with
bjsesq wrote:You're gonna get fucking rekt, nerd.
I am laughing uncontrollably at work. Thanks.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:32 pm

If OP isn't a troll, though I seriously doubt he is not, he is pretty certainly the dumbest 0L we've had this cycle.

dardardelight

New

Post by dardardelight » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Rick lazio is probably the biggest success story regarding American law and a career in politics. It's much better to plan to be a D.A in your home county than to set a solo private practice... especially if you're dedicated to "public service". You'd need incredible ties in your local politics to have a strong chance, I'd think.

I'm faced with a similar decision as you right now and I'm targeting gov jobs. If you network really hard at GW, write for a journal, and network like cray-- you'd have a shot at a job on the hill or a d.a position or DOJ clerkship, etc.

Just realize that merely going to school in dc doesn't do much. You need to build a strength, a niche, get top grades, and network like crazy. If you do very well at GW, you'd be in a similar position as doing really well at gtown.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Taking the question asked at face value, OP, I'm going to agree with those who suggested going to your home state's flagship law school. Most Congressmen and Senators who went to law school have either gone to Yale or Harvard or to the top school in their home state or region.

A DC school will be to your advantage only if you want to work in DC once you graduate (i.e.: work for a politician). If you want to be a politician, you will not be elected from DC. You will be elected from your state. That is where you should focus and continue building your network. Many Congressmen served in their state government (legislature, governor's office, etc.) before being elected to national office. Look at the backgrounds of those in your state's legislature. Chances are that they went to local schools. You want to build ties to your home state, not to DC.

I should also add that open ambition is often a big turn-off for many voters.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:35 pm

just go to whichever school is gonna give you more debt. in the event you become a politician, you'll be on my side (aka debt forgiveness)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rdawkins28

Bronze

Post by rdawkins28 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:35 pm

brianiac wrote:some stuff...
Heh... on one hand I feel sorry for you since this is pretty much TLS at its finest. Anyone who disagrees with the hive is tarred and feathered.

On the other hand, coming here and asking what you asked is like Obama going to a tea party convention and asking Palin if she liked Obamacare or gun-control more.

Much amusement.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:37 pm

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm

brianiac wrote:
InTheHouse wrote:
MidwestLifer wrote:Best part of this whole thread: kid proclaims himself to be a "hard worker" but apparently didn't work hard enough at either his GPA or LSAT to get into GW...
This is the part that cracks me up the most about people who feel like they should have no trouble transferring.

Also, for someone hoping to run for office as a Republican, OP's path makes little sense. Education? Experience? Seriously, what made you think these things matter in Republican primaries anymore? Get rich or get a gig out-crazying other people on the Tea Party circuit. Either route should work.

FWIW, state flagship is your best bet.
I'm looking into the state flagship option. But why do you think I'm a Republican? I'm not saying I'm not, but why do you think that?
You sounds like one? Also, what about the recent history suggests that education and relevant experience matter in Republican primaries anyway? If boobs like Yoho, Gohmert, Angle, (Christine) O'Donnell can get nominated, so can you. Get rich or get on wingnut radio/TV. Those are probably better bets to get where you want to go.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm

sublime wrote:
dardardelight wrote:Rick lazio is probably the biggest success story regarding American law and a career in politics. It's much better to plan to be a D.A in your home county than to set a solo private practice... especially if you're dedicated to "public service". You'd need incredible ties in your local politics to have a strong chance, I'd think.

I'm faced with a similar decision as you right now and I'm targeting gov jobs. If you network really hard at GW, write for a journal, and network like cray-- you'd have a shot at a job on the hill or a d.a position or DOJ clerkship, etc.

Just realize that merely going to school in dc doesn't do much. You need to build a strength, a niche, get top grades, and network like crazy. If you do very well at GW, you'd be in a similar position as doing really well at gtown.

Yea, I would also second the DA/Prosecutor over solo practitioner route. Fr whatever reason, especially in flyovers, people love DA's.
They are putting those criminals in jail and keeping the community safe. Obvs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm

sublime wrote:Fr whatever reason, especially in flyovers, people love DA's.
if you lock up the non-whites the flyover folk are generally happy to put you in charge

afrothunder

New

Post by afrothunder » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:49 pm

There are 3 current members of Congress who went to GW law. You'd probably have better chances from your state's flagship (see article below), though those would also be minuscule.

Source: http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0116163509

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 pm

brianiac wrote:I have to go to class now, I'll check in later, but please everyone do me a favor. I'm not interested in hearing about how the 20th best school in the country isn't prestigious enough for you, I'm not interested in retaking since it won't make any difference anyways. I'm really looking for pros/cons about these schools, can you please focus on that? Are there any advantages to William and Mary over George Washington? Are there other schools relatively near D.C. that I should look into? Let's stay on topic people!
Your plan is retarded. I realize you're an undergrad planning a congressional campaign who anticipates maybe getting into GW, so you obviously know what's up, but at least consider that you might be wrong.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Don't listen to the haters OP, Joe Biden went to Syracuse Law and now he's vice president. Everyone on this site is just a hater and negative because they don't have the nuts to pursue their dreams and they all are blinded by prestige. Good luck, follow your dreams!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

georgej

Gold

Post by georgej » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:46 pm

William and Mary is the best for politics by a long shot. Their programs really focus on preparing you for political debates, and the professors are cued in to the critical legal issues underlying the most important policy decisions needed to be made in the years ahead. If you keep your nose to the grindstone, you can make great connections that will make politics a cinch. It's so good to see someone who wants to be the leadership this country needs. Ignore the haters, your only guide should be the bright, shining face of brianiac staring back at you when you look in the mirror. Look at that face deeply and passionately. Feel the contours of your powerful jaw. Touch your chest and let your hands wander down your body-- your beautiful, powerful body. Only you! Only you can be the change the world needs. Follow destiny, go to William and Mary Law School.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Haven't read the thread but did anyone suggest the OP go to Harvard?

OP-Just go to Harvard if you want to be a politician so bad

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:52 pm

rdawkins28 wrote:
brianiac wrote:some stuff...
Heh... on one hand I feel sorry for you since this is pretty much TLS at its finest. Anyone who disagrees with the hive is tarred and feathered.

On the other hand, coming here and asking what you asked is like Obama going to a tea party convention and asking Palin if she liked Obamacare or gun-control more.

Much amusement.
His plan is objectively idiotic. Not only that, but he's being willfully dense and he's an arrogant jerk. Hard to feel sorry about the turd sandwich he's about to gobble up.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:04 pm

just lol at the tls hivemind. american has a 44% full time jd job score, those are just the lawyers. the rest probably have great jobs that having a law degree helped them get. op if you want to be a politician in your home state for the state government there is no better place to go to than dc because that is where the federal government is.

sometimes i think that tls honestly believes that no one should go to law school unless they want to be a lawyer

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm

brianiac wrote:I think I'll get into GW because I have decent numbers, not going to share them but I do have a GPA that is above their median and I was in the top 20% on the LSAT.
So you got a 160, which for a lot of people not on TLS is a good score. However, the median at GW is a 167, putting you far below that. Know your audience: the average reported LSAT score on this site is a 172.

A question that hasn't been asked yet: why do you want to be a politician? To be honest, your stubborn refusal for reasonable advice on this thread so far is the exact reason why I cannot stand politics in this country.

This has been said before, but OP seemed to have missed it: politicians didn't go to law school for the sake of becoming a politician; they went to law school, became a lawyer, and then went into politics.

And again, why can't you take a gap year? Being a K-JD will not make you at all marketable for a political campaign. What experience will you be able to tout during your election? Grow up, get a job where you can grow your leadership skills for a year or two, re-take the LSAT, and go to a school that is worthy of your ~3.7x GPA.

What state do you live in? Are your state politicians even full time employees? In many states, they are part time.

As many others have said, this plan is not well thought out at all.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 pm

hope OP's class ends soon

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Jim Jones wrote:just lol at the tls hivemind. american has a 44% full time jd job score, those are just the lawyers. the rest probably have great jobs that having a law degree helped them get. op if you want to be a politician in your home state for the state government there is no better place to go to than dc because that is where the federal government is.

sometimes i think that tls honestly believes that no one should go to law school unless they want to be a lawyer
Underemployment score is also 28%.

And yes, most (including me) believe that unless you are planning on becoming a lawyer, or doing a job that requires a JD, law school is a waste of time and money. There are plenty of people (some pointed out by OP himself) who are in the House and Senate without JD's, and if he's going to run for state government, it is far from necessary. Hell, many state government politicians aren't even full time. They are part-time politicians who have to go back to their real job most of the year, so they better have a degree in something they actually want to use.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brianiac

New

Post by brianiac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:18 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:No you're not. You've been receiving input this whole time and resoundingly refusing to hear it. Your plan is not good. Your choices aren't good. You very well may not get into GW. American IS a dumpster fire. And taking a gap year IS any option. It's always an option.
I'm not refusing to hear it. I have my own reasons for not wanting to take a gap year, why is that such a ridiculous premise?
rdawkins28 wrote:Agree. Also consider if the LS would have any negative or positive impact on your potential voters. Probably doesn't matter for them most part. For example, Harvard would probably help any where. But if you're from Louisiana, few voters knows about W&M, but they sure would like you a little more if you went to LSU. And since you're going solo anyway, it hardly matters where you go for the most part (existing connections would hire you based on trust, Joe-blow off the street wouldn't know City University of New York School of Law from New York Law School from New York University School of Law).
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your insight.
bjsesq wrote:Guys, I have a question. I'm thinking about eating either dogshit or catshit and then taking a career in getting pegged. Which one should I eat that will give me the best shot at this career? DON'T TELL ME NOT TO DO ANY OF IT, MY FUCKING MIND IS MADE UP.
Okay. Wow. I don't know what I did to upset you, but I think my request for information was reasonable. Going to the 20th best law school in the country, in Washington D.C, a place where I want to make political connections, is not "eating dogshit". I think this says more about you than it does about me.
romothesavior wrote:Your LSAT score is bad, your law school choices are terrible, and your life plan (going to a school like American in order to come back home and run for office) is really, really stupid.

You clearly think you have it all figured out, so don't come here to ask for our opinion.
romothesavior wrote:His plan is objectively idiotic. Not only that, but he's being willfully dense and he's an arrogant jerk. Hard to feel sorry about the turd sandwich he's about to gobble up.
This is the sort of unthinking, reflexive reaction that gives this website its richly deserved reputation as an elitist circlejerk. It is completely reasonable to ask posters to remain on-topic and not derail the thread with incessant calls of "RETAKE". To be so completely dismissive of a poster because they don't operate under the same shared assumptions as a vocal and entrenched hivemind is bad enough; the fact that you are a moderator, whose role ought to be to encourage constructive discussion of the topic rather than allow it to devolve into a dogpile of identical and unresponsive opinions makes me question how the moderators for this board are chosen and what exactly qualifies you to be one. If the goal is to create a community where users shout each other down with the same reheated, myopic arguments day after day, where no one need question the substance of their posts as long as it hews to a prestige-lensed and one-dimensional orthodoxy, mission accomplished.
CounselorNebby wrote:This thread is amazing.

OP, go to American at sticker. It's named after America, so you'll be set on running for president.
Please leave my thread.
sublime wrote:Mentioning Walker and Reagan. Being (it seems like) from a rural state (that doesn't have its own George Washington). Being pretty anti ELITIST EDUCATION. Oh, and you fully believe the bootstraps myth.
Okay, I HAPPEN to be a Republican, but that's a silly rationale.
Ron Don Volante wrote:If OP isn't a troll, though I seriously doubt he is not, he is pretty certainly the dumbest 0L we've had this cycle.
Please leave my thread.
dardardelight wrote:Rick lazio is probably the biggest success story regarding American law and a career in politics. It's much better to plan to be a D.A in your home county than to set a solo private practice... especially if you're dedicated to "public service". You'd need incredible ties in your local politics to have a strong chance, I'd think.

Thank you for this excellent feedback! I've never thought of being a D.A. That's a very interesting proposition. Lazio is a great man, I'd do well to follow in his footsteps. I do have strong ties to local political leaders, so that could really help. I'm not afraid to network really hard and write for a journal while I'm in law school; I think that's exactly the kind of thing I would excel in!
Aeon wrote:Taking the question asked at face value, OP, I'm going to agree with those who suggested going to your home state's flagship law school. Most Congressmen and Senators who went to law school have either gone to Yale or Harvard or to the top school in their home state or region.

A DC school will be to your advantage only if you want to work in DC once you graduate (i.e.: work for a politician). If you want to be a politician, you will not be elected from DC. You will be elected from your state. That is where you should focus and continue building your network. Many Congressmen served in their state government (legislature, governor's office, etc.) before being elected to national office. Look at the backgrounds of those in your state's legislature. Chances are that they went to local schools. You want to build ties to your home state, not to DC.

I should also add that open ambition is often a big turn-off for many voters.
Thank you for this feedback. I know I really need to maintain my strong ties to my home state, I'm definitely looking into the state flagship option.
JohannDeMann wrote:just go to whichever school is gonna give you more debt. in the event you become a politician, you'll be on my side (aka debt forgiveness)
I don't really believe in that, sorry.
InTheHouse wrote:You sounds like one? Also, what about the recent history suggests that education and relevant experience matter in Republican primaries anyway? If boobs like Yoho, Gohmert, Angle, (Christine) O'Donnell can get nominated, so can you. Get rich or get on wingnut radio/TV. Those are probably better bets to get where you want to go.
I actually want to learn about the law though. The decision to go to law school is not 100% career-focused; I also have an interest in the subject.
afrothunder wrote:There are 3 current members of Congress who went to GW law. You'd probably have better chances from your state's flagship (see article below), though those would also be minuscule.

Source: http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0116163509
That's very interesting. Thank you for the link.
TheSpanishMain wrote:Your plan is retarded. I realize you're an undergrad planning a congressional campaign who anticipates maybe getting into GW, so you obviously know what's up, but at least consider that you might be wrong.
I have considered that I might be wrong. Have you?
Jim Jones wrote:Don't listen to the haters OP, Joe Biden went to Syracuse Law and now he's vice president. Everyone on this site is just a hater and negative because they don't have the nuts to pursue their dreams and they all are blinded by prestige. Good luck, follow your dreams!
I'm sensing that this might be sarcastic, but since I'm a nice guy who gives people the benefit of the doubt, thank you for your feedback.
georgej wrote:William and Mary is the best for politics by a long shot. Their programs really focus on preparing you for political debates, and the professors are cued in to the critical legal issues underlying the most important policy decisions needed to be made in the years ahead. If you keep your nose to the grindstone, you can make great connections that will make politics a cinch. It's so good to see someone who wants to be the leadership this country needs. Ignore the haters, your only guide should be the bright, shining face of brianiac staring back at you when you look in the mirror. Look at that face deeply and passionately. Feel the contours of your powerful jaw. Touch your chest and let your hands wander down your body-- your beautiful, powerful body. Only you! Only you can be the change the world needs. Follow destiny, go to William and Mary Law School.
Thank you for your feedback. But GW doesn't have comparable programs?

To those of you who have been giving me real feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to actually answer my question. I'm getting a lot of good information in this thread. To those of you intent on derailing this with talk of LSAT and taking a gap year, please find someone else to harass, thank you.

Gold

Post by 052220152 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:21 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:
brianiac wrote:I think I'll get into GW because I have decent numbers, not going to share them but I do have a GPA that is above their median and I was in the top 20% on the LSAT.
So you got a 160, which for a lot of people not on TLS is a good score. However, the median at GW is a 167, putting you far below that. Know your audience: the average reported LSAT score on this site is a 172.

A question that hasn't been asked yet: why do you want to be a politician? To be honest, your stubborn refusal for reasonable advice on this thread so far is the exact reason why I cannot stand politics in this country.

This has been said before, but OP seemed to have missed it: politicians didn't go to law school for the sake of becoming a politician; they went to law school, became a lawyer, and then went into politics.

And again, why can't you take a gap year? Being a K-JD will not make you at all marketable for a political campaign. What experience will you be able to tout during your election? Grow up, get a job where you can grow your leadership skills for a year or two, re-take the LSAT, and go to a school that is worthy of your ~3.7x GPA.

What state do you live in? Are your state politicians even full time employees? In many states, they are part time.

As many others have said, this plan is not well thought out at all.
look, op doesnt have to explain himself to you. hes got reasons for not being able to retake and not being able to take a gap year. so what if he goes to a school that isnt prestigious by tls standards, im sure he will be fine and one day be a great politician. he might have a little bit more debt, but im sure he will be fine.

I just came across this quote on the internet and i think its fitting here:

"Autonomy as a part of the power process may not be necessary for every individual. But most people need a greater or lesser degree of autonomy in working toward their goals. Their efforts must be undertaken on their own initiative and must be under their own direction and control. Yet most people do not have to exert this initiative, direction and control as single individuals. It is usually enough to act as a member of a SMALL group. Thus if half a dozen people discuss a goal among themselves and make a successful joint effort to attain that goal, their need for the power process will be served. But if they work under rigid orders handed down from above that leave them no room for autonomous decision and initiative, then their need for the power process will not be served. The same is true when decisions are made on a collective bases if the group making the collective decision is so large that the role of each individual is insignificant."

remember, you are an individual op.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Still haven't read the thread yet but I'm pretty sure this was the correct answer:
BigZuck wrote:Just go to Harvard if you want to be a politician so bad

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Lololol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”