Hamilton/Vanderbilt/Mordecai vs H/S/C with outside grants Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lefthandofdarkness

New

Hamilton/Vanderbilt/Mordecai vs H/S/C with outside grants

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:43 pm

Last edited by lefthandofdarkness on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Hamilton/Vanderbilt/Mordecai vs H/S/C with outside grants

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Chicago is obviously out without a full ride but all of the others are defensible. I'd probably go with Harvard or Stanford.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm

This is one of the rare times I would probably pick Harvard over a full ride the rest of the T-6 (minus Yale). You literally don't have one single bad option though--wow.

Enjoy
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy16

Bronze

Post by Indy16 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Last edited by Indy16 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:10 pm

these are all very good options, of course.

H/S @80k total is godly though. i would take one of those.

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks, guys! What are some pluses Harvard has over Stanford, putting aside a preference for going to school on the east coast? And what makes H/S worth $70-80K more than Columbia or NYU?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:11 pm

lefthandofdarkness wrote:Thanks, guys! What are some pluses Harvard has over Stanford, putting aside a preference for going to school on the east coast? And what makes H/S worth $70-80K more than Columbia or NYU?
the name Harvard
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:18 pm

runinthefront wrote:
lefthandofdarkness wrote:Thanks, guys! What are some pluses Harvard has over Stanford, putting aside a preference for going to school on the east coast?
the name Harvard
lefthandofdarkness wrote:And what makes H/S worth $70-80K more than Columbia or NYU?
access to the most competitive clerkships, academia, and generally having an easier go of things.

that last part is significant imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lashley

New

Post by lashley » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:23 pm

If you are committed to PI then a Vanderbilt > Hamilton in my opinion. It seems like there is more institutional support for PI at NYU.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:24 pm

...If you ever choose to leave the legal world, the name Harvard (and Stanford, Yale, Columbia) will take you much farther in layman's land than NYU or Chicago will. I think that's worth the extra 80k, but it's all relative.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:26 pm

lashley wrote:If you are committed to PI then a Vanderbilt > Hamilton in my opinion. It seems like there is more institutional support for PI at NYU.
This is an honest question, but I always wonder:

What PI jobs are easier to get from NYU than from Columbia? Does the CSO at NYU just know of more PI opportunities, or are PI organizations actively seeking NYU grads over Columbia grads? If both schools are equal in cost (effectively zero........wow, once again. Wow OP.) , why not take the 'prestige route?'

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:27 pm

runinthefront wrote:
lefthandofdarkness wrote:Thanks, guys! What are some pluses Harvard has over Stanford, putting aside a preference for going to school on the east coast? And what makes H/S worth $70-80K more than Columbia or NYU?
the name Harvard
this is stupid

Congratulations on wonderful options OP.

Harvard and Stanford are different schools with different strengths and programming. People will tell you, "Harvard is a larger student body, so more courses, faculty, student organizations, clinical work, more international, its on a semester system, it has a larger range of grades, it feeds more predominantly in New York," ect.; "Stanford is smaller, which means less overall resources but more personal, less anonymous, closer faculty access per student leading to more immediate clerkship opportunities, feeds more into California (although this is not to undersell its nationwide reach)", ect. At that price differential it's more about soft factors and you really have to see for yourself.

Both provide some opportunities to a larger slice of the class than Columbia or NYU (a few more people will clerk, a few more people will go to slightly fancier firms or DOJ honors), but it's mostly overlap. That being said, $70-80K is a very comfortable debt level and I think taking Harvard or Stanford for the extra money can be justified. Strictly, those schools aren't *worth* that much money over CLS by any particular objective criteria, but I'd probably go to Stanford here anyway and that's entirely personal. It depends on your goals, geographic preferences and just how debt free you want to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:30 pm

jbagelboy you don't believe that the Harvard name is worth $70k in debtload?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 pm

runinthefront wrote:jbagelboy you don't believe that the Harvard name is worth $70k in debtload?
first, hell no. what is a name? You can have lots of fancy names on your resume. The only people who are going to see them and make any important decision will know exactly what they mean behind some facade of lay impression. why would anyone else who might not understand the substance of the name know or matter?

second, you were responding to "What makes harvard worth more than stanford," which was a $5k debt load. I acknowledge the substantive opportunities that might be available to some of the class at harvard and not another school are worth $70k, or easily more. But I still don't think some vague signaling to an indescribable constituency is worth that when you can point to any specific opportunity I can get from one school and not the other.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:42 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
runinthefront wrote:jbagelboy you don't believe that the Harvard name is worth $70k in debtload?
first, hell no. what is a name? You can have lots of fancy names on your resume. The only people who are going to see them and make any important decision will know exactly what they mean behind some facade of lay impression. why would anyone else who might not understand the substance of the name know or matter?

second, you were responding to "What makes harvard worth more than stanford," which was a $5k debt load. And I still don't think some vague signaling to an indescribable constituency is worth that when you can point to any specific opportunity I can get from one school and not the other.
ah. no, I wasn't clear. I was responding to H/S over NYU/Columbia. I think Stanford would be worth $80k but I'm not familiar with the lay prestige outside of the US (and I'm under the impression that it's not nearly as high as H/Y in the part of the east coast where I'm from)

I think that if OP finds himself/herself wanting to exit law in its entirety/work overseas, the Harvard name is worth $80k. I don't understand--doesn't your argument that more substantive opportunities slash the larger slice of the pie lend credence to the argument that the name Harvard holds more weight? Why else would employers pull deeper from the Harvard class?

I mean, this is all my opinion on the matter, but OP literally cannot end up in any bad position. he/she has made it

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:01 pm

runinthefront wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

second, you were responding to "What makes harvard worth more than stanford," which was a $5k debt load. And I still don't think some vague signaling to an indescribable constituency is worth that when you can point to any specific opportunity I can get from one school and not the other.
ah. no, I wasn't clear. I was responding to H/S over NYU/Columbia. I think Stanford would be worth $80k but I'm not familiar with the lay prestige outside of the US (and I'm under the impression that it's not nearly as high as H/Y in the part of the east coast where I'm from)

I think that if OP finds himself/herself wanting to exit law in its entirety/work overseas, the Harvard name is worth $80k. I don't understand--doesn't your argument that more substantive opportunities slash the larger slice of the pie lend credence to the argument that the name Harvard holds more weight? Why else would employers pull deeper from the Harvard class?

I mean, this is all my opinion on the matter, but OP literally cannot end up in any bad position. he/she has made it
this might just be a semantic difference. it depends on how careless we are about what "the name" signals here. To the extent that Harvard helps its students get the jobs they want through its extensive network and long standing relationships with certain employers such as firms, judges, government agencies and non-profits, who are more willing to interview and offer positions to Harvard Law students with certain grades and credentials than students at another school (Stanford and Columbia are very similar here, I mean a very different school), then yes "the name" is worth quite a lot.

If you are just talking about what going to Harvard signals to someone about you in the abstract, having "the name" on your resume or saying it, with no connection to a substantive difference, then no, I find this of very little value. To me, when you say "the name Harvard" in isolation as a justification for borrowing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars from the federal government, to be repaid at high interest over many years -- I say this at risk of repetition to keep us in perspective -- it means the latter. What I'm saying is, don't get hung up on names and signaling, this "lay prestige" you keep referencing. Talk about what degrees have to offer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:32 pm

This is one of the rare situations where I think it makes sense to choose the debt
I would pick H

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:12 pm

OP you should create a poll. Your poll should look like the following:

I choose NYU/Columbia (I am currently paying 1,000 or more in student loans per month)
I choose Harvard/Yale (I am currently paying 1,000 or more in student loans per month)
I choose NYU/Columbia (I have never had to pay back student loan debt)
I choose Harvard/Yale(I have never had to pay back student loan debt)

People act like 75-80k is not a lot of money. Is it a good value to attend Harvard/Yale for this amount of money? Yes, a hell of a deal. But it is NOT worth paying this when you can go for free to freaking Columbia or NYU.

75-80k is about 1K per month for the next 10 years. Going to Harvard is cool and all but next time you go to the grocery store or get gas or take a vacation to Hawaii or go to the movies, you will not be able to submit your Harvard degree as a form of payment. They only except cash money.

You said you are interested in PI OP. How about this. Go to Columbia/NYU and use the extra 80k you would have spent on Harvard/Yale degree and donate it to your favorite PI org. This would have a better impact in the world than paying for some Harvard Prof to remodel their basement with your tuition dollars.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:44 pm

pattonthicke wrote:OP you should create a poll. Your poll should look like the following:

I choose NYU/Columbia (I am currently paying 1,000 or more in student loans per month)
I choose Harvard/Yale (I am currently paying 1,000 or more in student loans per month)
I choose NYU/Columbia (I have never had to pay back student loan debt)
I choose Harvard/Yale(I have never had to pay back student loan debt)

People act like 75-80k is not a lot of money. Is it a good value to attend Harvard/Yale for this amount of money? Yes, a hell of a deal. But it is NOT worth paying this when you can go for free to freaking Columbia or NYU.

75-80k is about 1K per month for the next 10 years. Going to Harvard is cool and all but next time you go to the grocery store or get gas or take a vacation to Hawaii or go to the movies, you will not be able to submit your Harvard degree as a form of payment. They only except cash money.

You said you are interested in PI OP. How about this. Go to Columbia/NYU and use the extra 80k you would have spent on Harvard/Yale degree and donate it to your favorite PI org. This would have a better impact in the world than paying for some Harvard Prof to remodel their basement with your tuition dollars.
I had more debt than that and no, over 10 years with a hys degree, I don't think it's a lot of money. If you are pretty set on PI, this is easy: to go HS and don' look back. LRAPs make the effective COA identical.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 pm

abl wrote: If you are pretty set on PI, this is easy: to go HS and don' look back. LRAPs make the effective COA identical.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "effective" but no, it's not identical. And I'm someone who'd take Harvard or Stanford. But let's not kid ourselves.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 pm

This should obviously be a very very very small portion of consideration, but you could factor in that a passed up hamilton/vanderbilt means one more person (without the 180,000 outside grant) has it available to them. While Harvard and Stanford are pretty easy to justify with the 180,000.
Having said that, I would still go with Columbia.

Also, I do not know how much of this you have to disclose, but is there any chance at some need based aid from Harvard/Stanford?

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:00 pm

HLS for no tuition is the easy answer here when you finish 1L with mediocre grades at Columbia/NYU. But as others said, it largely depends on what you actually want to do after law school.

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm

BizBro wrote:HLS for no tuition is the easy answer here when you finish 1L with mediocre grades at Columbia/NYU. But as others said, it largely depends on what you actually want to do after law school.
Are you grouping Stanford in with Harvard here or do you think Harvard is the easy answer even over Stanford?
Auxilio wrote:This should obviously be a very very very small portion of consideration, but you could factor in that a passed up hamilton/vanderbilt means one more person (without the 180,000 outside grant) has it available to them. While Harvard and Stanford are pretty easy to justify with the 180,000.
Having said that, I would still go with Columbia.

Also, I do not know how much of this you have to disclose, but is there any chance at some need based aid from Harvard/Stanford?
Putting aside the obvious ethical issues with claiming financial hardship when I have a large grant and others don't, the Need Access clearly asks about outside grants for 2015-2016. There's wiggle-room because the amount of the grant is not a fixed amount (it's based on how much I need after my chosen school makes its offer) but I don't imagine I'll get any aid from HS once they see it there. I think I can expect some aid from my parents, but right now I'm not sure exactly how much.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 pm

runinthefront wrote:...If you ever choose to leave the legal world, the name Harvard (and Stanford, Yale, Columbia) will take you much farther in layman's land than NYU or Chicago will. I think that's worth the extra 80k, but it's all relative.
Lol this is dumb.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”