Hamilton VS Harvard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
forza
Posts: 2779
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby forza » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

MistakenGenius wrote:On the other hand, this choice depends entirely on your career goals. A lot of these posts are just parroting the dumbass TLS hivemind. Firms in New York LOVE Columbia. However, contrary to the hive's belief, Columbia is NOT a national degree, and you may well struggle if you're not at the top of your class if you don't want NYC (and who the hell does?) If you say Columbia in the Southeast, you may well get confused with grads from South Carolina. If you say it in the midwest, then Missouri comes into play. Westerners might be vaguely aware of the existence of Columbia, but you'll find you don't do nearly as well as your counterparts of their elite schools. Columbia is highly regional, but it benefits from being the best school in its region, which happens to host the most Biglaw hiring.


What the fuck? No. I assure you that nobody in the South or Midwest will confuse Columbia with South Carolina or Missouri. The name doesn't have the cachet of Harvard, sure, but don't be a dolt.

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby tlsapp2017 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Go to Columbia. This should be an easy decision. Hamilton is literally the best possible outcome of law school admissions. Congrats!

As far as your questions/concerns: I have no clue if the Hamilton on your resume is as prestigious or more prestigious than an HLS degree. What I do know is that Columbia will allow you to get an job that you want to get (with the possible exception of certain academia jobs depending on how you do, but that doesn't seem relevant in your case). I would say that in general CLS's PI resources are underrated. Obviously BigLaw is still the name of the game, because CLS is legitimately as good if not better than any other law school at getting its graduates great BigLaw positions. But if you're interested in pursuing public interest, you'll have the resources at Columbia.

As far as 1L year being more stressful - 1L will be difficult wherever you go, and I really believe that it's mostly what you make of it. Anecdotally, I have definitely been at lot less stressed out (and have worked less hard) as a 1L than one of my best friends who is currently a 1L at Yale. I don't have any good friends who are 1L's at HLS, but I can imagine that it's similar.

I chose CLS over Harvard for significantly less money, and couldn't be happier with my decision. Living in New York is amazing, housing is fantastic, and the school/professors are really damn good.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Last edited by tlsapp2017 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:05 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:Go to Columbia. This should be an easy decision. Hamilton is literally the best possible outcome of law school admissions. Congrats!


Ruby is about 45 thousand dollars better

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby jrc223 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:07 pm

yeah but then you have to go to uchicago

jk

or am i

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby tlsapp2017 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:Go to Columbia. This should be an easy decision. Hamilton is literally the best possible outcome of law school admissions. Congrats!


Ruby is about 45 thousand dollars better


Because of COL? Is it really that much?

jrc223
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby jrc223 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:10 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:Go to Columbia. This should be an easy decision. Hamilton is literally the best possible outcome of law school admissions. Congrats!


Ruby is about 45 thousand dollars better


Because of COL? Is it really that much?


I think the Ruby comes with a 15k stipend per year

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Hamilton VS Harvard

Postby tlsapp2017 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:12 pm

jrc223 wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:Go to Columbia. This should be an easy decision. Hamilton is literally the best possible outcome of law school admissions. Congrats!


Ruby is about 45 thousand dollars better


Because of COL? Is it really that much?


I think the Ruby comes with a 15k stipend per year


Oh wow. I had no idea - that's really cool! I agree that you could make an argument that the Ruby is better than the Hamilton in any case, but at that point it's mostly about personal preferences.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry4bfast and 3 guests