Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jasmine li
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 am

Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby jasmine li » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:45 pm

I am an international student. If I wanna go to law firm in US after graduation, which one is better?

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby Username123 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:55 pm

jasmine li wrote:I am an international student. If I wanna go to law firm in US after graduation, which one is better?


Are those amounts (129,000 & 75,000) the total COA or the scholarships you've been offered? If just the scholarships, provide the total COA.

User avatar
BrazilBandit
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby BrazilBandit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 pm

We don't know your credentials, but if K-JD I would suggest T-14 so that you can increase your chances of BigLaw and H1-B sponsorship

User avatar
UnderTheLaw
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby UnderTheLaw » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 pm

I would follow the money in this situation.

I also think you should consider the idea of taking the LSAT again and reaching even higher than you are now.

ub3r
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby ub3r » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Not to be presumptuous or pretentious, but based on the first post, OP might not be familiar with some of the TLS jargon being used in this thread.


COA = cost of attendance. How much money will it cost you to live there and go to school there, not just tuition

K-JD = essentially someone who is entering law school without having taken a break from school since they began kindergarten

T-14 = pretty common abbreviation, but it means the top 14 schools in the country

BigLaw = really large law firms which typically pay more and are typically harder to get into


Again, really sorry if the first post was just lazy grammar, but it didn't seem like it was written by someone with high-familiarity with a lot of the slang and abbreviations here (not to mention it was a new user's first post).

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:20 pm

ub3r wrote:BigLaw = really large law firms which typically pay more and are typically harder to get into
Nope. Big firms have predictable hiring patterns and methods; essentially, if you get the rights grades at the right school you get a job. Everyone wants to work at a cushy midsized firm in a cool city, so most of them grow their ranks from biglaw laterals and pick fresh associates from the top of the class at local schools. Not readily attainable. Small firms typically pay no more than 60K to fresh associates and only hire near/after bar passage, and you're typically hired for factors other than grades (so it's less predictable).

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby downbeat14 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:23 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ub3r
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby ub3r » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
ub3r wrote:BigLaw = really large law firms which typically pay more and are typically harder to get into
Nope. Big firms have predictable hiring patterns and methods; essentially, if you get the rights grades at the right school you get a job. Everyone wants to work at a cushy midsized firm in a cool city, so most of them grow their ranks from biglaw laterals and pick fresh associates from the top of the class at local schools. Not readily attainable. Small firms typically pay no more than 60K to fresh associates and only hire near/after bar passage, and you're typically hired for factors other than grades (so it's less predictable).

Cool, thanks man.

As soon as I made my post I was filled with the ominous feeling that I was wrong about some of the terms and had just outed myself. Glad it was just the one error. :lol:

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 am

No worries I've done that like 700ish times

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: Emory 129000 or Gw 75000

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:No worries I've done that like 700ish times


So true




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests