Small schools v. large schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Drowninmyowntears

Small schools v. large schools

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:08 am

Hey people,

Just wondering what people have been thinking about in deciding between schools sizes. Is that a factor people even consider at all? I like the idea of a more personal experience at a small school, but at the same time, a larger school potentially has more resources to offer...

anyone have any thoughts at all on this?

ymmv

Re: Small schools v. large schools

Postby ymmv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:05 am

Doesn't matter. There's not going to be a "resources" advantage at big schools, whatever that means. Employment stats are what you care about.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 am

School/class size matters but it ranks far, far below placement stats, COA, and location. If you have two schools that are otherwise tied in the other more important categories, then sure, use size as a considerstion.

I went to a big undergrad and I wanted to get the small school/class size experience this time. I'm glad I considered it as a factor once the more important stuff was sorted out.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 am

small school = less people = more drama.

Also less selection for "study buddies"

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:32 am

BankruptMe wrote:small school = less people = more drama.

This makes no sense. Even at a large school you will be split into small sections. It's not like Harvard or GW are cramming 800 people into a single classroom.

logdog

Postby logdog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 am

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am

Drama is what you make of it. I liked knowing who pretty much all my classmates were.

(but I agree that this is only something to consider after everything else is equal, way below all the other considerations.)

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Drama is what you make of it. I liked knowing who pretty much all my classmates were.

(but I agree that this is only something to consider after everything else is equal, way below all the other considerations.)

I agree. I like being at a smaller school for this reason.

Class size is not totally irrelevant, but it shouldn't be a major consideration.

Arad

Postby Arad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Large School = Larger alumni network

Obviously large schools have their disadvantages, but from a long term perspective, that's the only thing that matters to me.

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm

[Transferred from a relatively small schools (180 1L class, <40 people per secton) to a very large school (600 people per year, sometimes 120-150 in individual classes)]

There are definitely different pros and cons to both, and at different times in the process you will feel them. The drama factor is a very real and very bad part about going to a small school, but that definitely isn't a reason to pick one over the other.

I think the best part about going to a small school, and one which may have some long term effects, is the ability to actually know the professors. If you are the type of person who goes to office hours and has a lot of questions, it will be easier to develop a relationship in a smaller community. I've definitely felt at a little bit of a disadvantage w/r/t clerkship recommendations being a 2L in a new environment with close to 2000 other students.

This is the only real disadvantage to going to a large school. Otherwise, i think more students = more tuition + more alumni = more endowment = more events and opportunities on and off campus. Most of the long-term factors lean towards going to a big school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”