Iowa Vs Cardozo with Gi Bill/Yellow Ribbon $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Iowa or Cardozo?

Iowa
100%
Cardozo
No votes

Total votes: 7

FourtyFour

Iowa Vs Cardozo with Gi Bill/Yellow Ribbon $$

Postby FourtyFour » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 am

Last edited by FourtyFour on Sat May 21, 2016 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

JFO1833

Re: Iowa Vs Cardozo with Gi Bill/Yellow Ribbon $$

Postby JFO1833 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:20 am

First, thank you for your service!!!

retaking wouldn't help much with my GPA being dragged down by community college grades from a few years back before I went to Syracuse

With your GPA nearly every law school is in play with a high enough LSAT score. You shouldn't let your GPA dictate if you retake or not, you should decide based on whether or not you are happy with the available options.

If you get into Iowa I would take it over these other options, I believe it is the best school of the bunch. Also cost of living will be really low there making up (in large part) for the difference in living stipend.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:39 am

You should still retake. Having a full ride to both of these schools is not a bad option, but it's still far from your best if your LSAT is a 157. Even with a 3.26, you can get T14 (especially with veteran status), or at the very least a very solid T1, and with the Yellow Ribbon program you won't have to worry about paying sticker. I don't think Iowa is strong enough for Illinois connections, and I don't think Cardozo gives you enough of a chance of becoming a lawyer to make three years of your life (and all the opportunity costs) worth it. Best of luck!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:42 am

If I were in your shoes I would do everything I could to go to UVA

FourtyFour

Postby FourtyFour » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am

Last edited by FourtyFour on Sat May 21, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am

FourtyFour wrote:I just registered for the June LSAT, considering I took it cold last time except for like 10 minutes skimming a guide my roommate let me borrow.......I think there might be room for improvement! Thanks for the advice!

If you got a 157 without studying, then a few months of studying could easily get you in the upper 160s. Good choice to retake and good luck

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:28 am

moonman157 wrote:You should still retake. Having a full ride to both of these schools is not a bad option, but it's still far from your best if your LSAT is a 157. Even with a 3.26, you can get T14 (especially with veteran status), or at the very least a very solid T1, and with the Yellow Ribbon program you won't have to worry about paying sticker. I don't think Iowa is strong enough for Illinois connections, and I don't think Cardozo gives you enough of a chance of becoming a lawyer to make three years of your life (and all the opportunity costs) worth it. Best of luck!

I agree with you about the GPA and retaking for a better school, but Iowa places well in other regions despite its rank, plus it has low unemployment and a comparatively high FC placement % for its peers.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... tion/2013/

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 am

FourtyFour wrote:I just registered for the June LSAT, considering I took it cold last time except for like 10 minutes skimming a guide my roommate let me borrow.......I think there might be room for improvement! Thanks for the advice!

Great decision, and best of luck! There are a lot of great options to help you study, including a lot of information and guides on this website.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:43 am

Smart move.
As an aside, I'm drooling over that NYC stipend.

FourtyFour

Postby FourtyFour » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Last edited by FourtyFour on Sat May 21, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:14 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:04 pm

grats on making the wise decision to retake

i'm going to respond to the op question anyways for future readers

if you don't have ties to ny or a desire to work there, i can't think of a single reason to choose cardozo over iowa

dozo used to have a pretty good reputation in ny. when i was starting to look at schools, a lot of older attorneys spoke very highly of dozo. the fact it was a "tier 1", whatever that means, probably helped fuel that perception

these days dozo is basically on par with brooklyn and st johns. ny is a "strong" market, but it's still rough sledding for most area grads (a lot of schools, outside of the real bottom-feeders, have been slow to cut class sizes. for the most part, the bump in 2013 employment was limited to bl+fc, most ny schools didn't see much of a change in overall employment score)

amazingly, dozo is still getting by on its former prestige. usnwr still puts it a full tier above st johns, and tls' own article on ny schools does the same, despite the two schools having virtually identical employment outcomes outside of dozo's 5% higher bl score. in fact, this perception is so pervasive that multiple students transferred into dozo from st johns last year. since we have data showing outcomes are substantially the same, i think it's safe to say dozo is riding high on its former glory, leading to higher reputational scores and thus higher rankings, corroborating 0Ls' incorrect perception of the school

all this is to say, you probably shouldn't go
not saying there's never a situation where one should go
but if i had to make a general rule that would be the right advice in most cases, it would be "don't go"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:39 pm

You are without a doubt T14 material. Study for a few months and you will likely improve 10+ points. With your military benefits, you owe it to yourself to get into the best school possible.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Excellent decision. For any veterans reading this in the future there is no group of people better situated to take advantage of a retake as those with GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon benefits, particularly if you have a low GPA.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Yellow Ribbon will pay all of your tuition at any public school, right? If that's the case, with your desire to work in the midwest, I would make Michigan your ultimate goal. If you fall short of that, that's OK. With your goals, there is nothing wrong with going to Iowa for free.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:40 pm

Good life decision. It is figuratively stealing and literally wasting taxpayer money to go to Iowa on the GI bill with no ties and a cold LSAT score.

eta... your GPA won't keep you out of more then 5 or 6 schools at an absolute maximum, and the number may be as low as 0.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”