School Culture at UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sdgdg35

New

School Culture at UVA

Post by sdgdg35 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:29 pm

So I'm strongly considering UVA. However, I have heard that part of the culture involves alcohol. I don't drink. Will this affect me socially?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: School Culture at UVA

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:32 pm

I would try one of the law schools whose culture doesn't involve alcohol.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:35 pm

sdgdg35 wrote:So I'm strongly considering UVA. However, I have heard that part of the culture involves alcohol. I don't drink. Will this affect me socially?
it is going to affect you socially at any law school that is not BYU and at pretty much any private sector job.

but this should in no way be a factor for choosing a law school.

Lions1913

Bronze

Post by Lions1913 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Last edited by Lions1913 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:42 pm

which part

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lions1913

Bronze

Post by Lions1913 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Last edited by Lions1913 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Lions1913 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:which part
"but this should in no way be a factor for choosing a law school."

Of course it should. Culture makes a huge difference in people's success.

At UVA, the drinking culture is stronger or bigger than at other schools, meaning there is less room for a non-drinking culture. If you are a non-drinker, it would be wiser to go where there is more room for non-drinkers.

Go somewhere where you have a greater chance of fitting ingetting a job.
But really, though- I would think that by the time you're old enough to be in law school, you're old enough to have enough experience interacting with other human beings to how to act in social situations where you don't drink and everyone else does. Get a soda/lemonade/yoohoo and interact with people. If/when they get too drunk for your liking, go home.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Lions1913 wrote:

At UVA, the drinking culture is stronger or bigger than at other schools, meaning there is less room for a non-drinking culture. If you are a non-drinker, it would be wiser to go where there is more room for non-drinkers.

Go somewhere where you have a greater chance of fitting in.
next time when you're calling out bad advice you should, like, give the reasoning right away.

Of course culture is important. But it's only a relevant consideration when you're tied with another school in the actually important respects (ie geography, placement power, COA). Being concerned about a drinking culture is not going to tip the scales when we're talking about law schools, as every school has a drinking culture.

I believe UT (where I go) is traditionally thought of as more of a drunkard school. I have two mormon classmates who fit right in and are enjoying their experience. One has expressed dismay over not fitting in as far as drinking events go, but he totally killed first semester, so I don't think he's too mad.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Lions1913 wrote:

are u trolling or is this serious
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:26 pm

sdgdg35 wrote:So I'm strongly considering UVA. However, I have heard that part of the culture involves alcohol. I don't drink. Will this affect me socially?
This would not be an issue at all (you can easily avoid a few of the drinking events during 1L). In fact, many people do not drink, and there are lots of other things to do in C-ville.

UVA is a great/fun place to go to law school and the drinking is not the reason.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 pm

You won't be ostracized for not drinking.

Charlottesville is not a big city though, so I think a better question is to think about what you do enjoy doing and ask whether there will be opportunities to do that here and communities to do it with. If you're into outdoorsy stuff, board/video games, watching sports, religious stuff, etc, I'm sure you'll find a community here. If your idea of fun is hitting up museums and operas, this may not be the best place for you (I'm even a little disappointed in the live music scene. It exists, but pretty weak for a college town).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:03 am

why would that matter? you can just order a soda at a bar or if you're antisocial you dont have to go out anyway

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:19 am

First, many people here do not drink. One of our biggest feeder schools is BYU. I think we actually have one of the, if not the, biggest Mormon student bodies outside of BYU for a law school. If not drinking was an issue here or if the drinking was so out of control I don't think that would be the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 am

Lions1913 wrote:

OP, ignore the above poster (or at least that post)

The "culture" at UVA includes going out on bar review nights (like every law school) and Friday nights (like every law school), and playing softball. A majority of people do not do all 3, even 2, every week. Huge stretches of time (i.e exams) people don't really go out at all. There are plenty of people who hardly ever go out, and nobody cares because people are adults. I would not really factor in "culture" to a LS decision. Worry about employment numbers, and if you are comparing peer schools, worry about geographic location and what is best for you personally.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 am

Br3v wrote:The "culture" at UVA includes going out on bar review nights (like every law school) and Friday nights (like every law school), and playing softball.
This is the same thing you would get at any T14 law school, just heavier on the softball.

OP: Law schools heavily encourage a drinking culture. Most events involve drinking. I've seen people get drunk at ASW's. Barrister's Ball is usually a shitshow. If it's something that bothers you, then you might have a problem in the legal profession generally. But if you just don't do it (totally OK) then it really shouldn't be a factor.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:40 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Br3v wrote:The "culture" at UVA includes going out on bar review nights (like every law school) and Friday nights (like every law school), and playing softball.
This is the same thing you would get at any T14 law school, just heavier on the softball.
The "culture" at UVA includes going out on bar review nights (like every law school) and Friday nights (like every law school), and playing softball.

Fred Norris

Bronze

Post by Fred Norris » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:48 am

You posted about this already:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p8337612

I say this with kindness, but from what I gather, you really are not very well socialized to begin with. Nobody past 8th grade gives a shit if you partake with them in their "extracurricular" activities.

This is the kind of question someone would ask when they are trying to backwards rationalize why their social life was less than satisfying.

In your previous post you blame not being involved in grek life. Greek life is a result of being social, not a cause.

It comes down to you and the value you offer other people.

Your logic is like saying "I'm not gay, so I probably won't have good time in [your given gay cultural center in the USA]. People aren't going to socialize with me because I don't have one thing in common with them"

You need a reality check: your line of reasoning is terrible. Also you seem to cut people down to one dimensional cartoons. Even if people at UVA enjoy drinking, its not all they do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”