Why is Harvard Law School "on the rise"?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RunnerRunner

Re: Why is Harvard Law School "on the rise"?

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Hey OP, looks like you are taking some serious fire haha, but I'll try to respond. I think what you may be referring to are some quality of life improvements Harvard made (relatively) recently for the student body. Some people feel that when they enacted grade reform they were making a move to reduce the "cutthroat competition" among students. I have a friend there who says she thinks quality of life is pretty solid, and much less stressful than life there is depicted in things like "1L" by Scott Turow (pre-reform). I doubt they will overtake Yale, but perhaps that is where you got the "on the rise" impression.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:28 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Hey OP, looks like you are taking some serious fire haha, but I'll try to respond. I think what you may be referring to are some quality of life improvements Harvard made (relatively) recently for the student body. Some people feel that when they enacted grade reform they were making a move to reduce the "cutthroat competition" among students. I have a friend there who says she thinks quality of life is pretty solid, and much less stressful than life there is depicted in things like "1L" by Scott Turow (pre-reform). I doubt they will overtake Yale, but perhaps that is where you got the "on the rise" impression.

None of that really relates to something being on the rise.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
RunnerRunner wrote:Hey OP, looks like you are taking some serious fire haha, but I'll try to respond. I think what you may be referring to are some quality of life improvements Harvard made (relatively) recently for the student body. Some people feel that when they enacted grade reform they were making a move to reduce the "cutthroat competition" among students. I have a friend there who says she thinks quality of life is pretty solid, and much less stressful than life there is depicted in things like "1L" by Scott Turow (pre-reform). I doubt they will overtake Yale, but perhaps that is where you got the "on the rise" impression.

Correct if OP is referring to rankings only. If "on the rise" is just taken to mean "making improvements" however, it does.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

ballcaps wrote:who has said this?

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:56 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Have to agree. Sure, it's great Harvard is trying to better their students' quality of life. And I would say the grade reform was one of the best moves they've made, but it doesn't translate to their entire school being "on the rise." Making improvements doesn't count as being on the rise. Especially when these improvements have no bearing on the actual education received there. Every single school works to make improvements every year. That doesn't mean every school is on the rise.

That's a fair point. To be honest I just hate to see people receive the type of backlash OP was receiving for asking questions on here, and thought someone should try to treat it like a real question.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Harvard has terrible people who attend the school.

No dog in this fight, but says the fucking Chicago student. You will never meet a set of more self-important jackasses with clear inferiority complexes than that school.

But OP, I second that. I've never heard anyone say Harvard is "on the rise." It's #2 and pretty clearly a great school (if a bit oversized). Where is there for it to go?

Nah HLS students are much worse.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:54 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Have to agree. Sure, it's great Harvard is trying to better their students' quality of life. And I would say the grade reform was one of the best moves they've made, but it doesn't translate to their entire school being "on the rise." Making improvements doesn't count as being on the rise. Especially when these improvements have no bearing on the actual education received there. Every single school works to make improvements every year. That doesn't mean every school is on the rise.

That's a fair point. To be honest I just hate to see people receive the type of backlash OP was receiving for asking questions on here, and thought someone should try to treat it like a real question.

The OP said "Hey guys, people are saying this thing, how come they are saying this thing?"

However, no one is saying that thing.

How should people respond other than "Actually dude, no one is saying that thing."

I mean, how can you explain why people are saying a thing if they aren't actually saying that thing?

(this ignores the absurdity of someone asking if Harvard Law School is going to improve)

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:24 pm

TBF guys he said he saw this elsewhere on the internet too, and a search for "Harvard law on the rise" determines that the Boston Globe's Drake Bennett said it.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas ... ?page=full

Mike

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:27 pm

140 trolling

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:05 pm

hdunlop wrote:TBF guys he said he saw this elsewhere on the internet too, and a search for "Harvard law on the rise" determines that the Boston Globe's Drake Bennett said it.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas ... ?page=full

Mike

Of course, the above was in 2008. (Sorry to be literal if that was your point!)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Like a 12-year-old's dick.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”