Michigan vs Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ticklemesilly

Michigan vs Duke

Postby ticklemesilly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:11 pm

All things equal (assuming you get the same scholarship money), and not knowing whether or not you want big law or PI, where would you go?

Hand

Re: Michigan vs Duke

Postby Hand » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:13 pm

While those humid, 100 degree NC summers are fairly miserable, I would think they are not as bad as being snowed in in MI. Ergo, Duke.

PhilippeStandingOnIt

Postby PhilippeStandingOnIt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 pm

I'd go to Michigan because their law quad reminds me of Harry Potter.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:45 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:All things equal (assuming you get the same scholarship money), and not knowing whether or not you want big law or PI, where would you go?

Where do you want to work?

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:All things equal (assuming you get the same scholarship money), and not knowing whether or not you want big law or PI, where would you go?

Northern CA (Bay Area), Atlanta, or Washington D.C. All advice greatly appreciated.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:11 pm

ticklemesilly wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

Northern CA (Bay Area), Atlanta, or Washington D.C. All advice greatly appreciated.

I assume Bay Area is going to be equally difficult from both. Duke would give you a better shot at Atlanta. Not sure about Washington. Maybe slight nod to Duke? I do think Duke has overall stronger employment prospects though. Would probably go to Duke, unless you visited both and really disliked Durham/loved AA.

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
ticklemesilly wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:

I assume Bay Area is going to be equally difficult from both. Duke would give you a better shot at Atlanta. Not sure about Washington. Maybe slight nod to Duke? I do think Duke has overall stronger employment prospects though. Would probably go to Duke, unless you visited both and really disliked Durham/loved AA.

Okay, thanks! Haven't gotten into Duke (yet, hopefully).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Duke.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Where are you from? And if you worked in biglaw, do you have any idea what kind of practice area you would want to be in? If you're not in biglaw do you have any idea what kind of practice area you want to be in? How bad would it be if after looking at 1L grades you decided you had to focus on getting a job in New York?

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Nomo wrote:Where are you from? And if you worked in biglaw, do you have any idea what kind of practice area you would want to be in? If you're not in biglaw do you have any idea what kind of practice area you want to be in? How bad would it be if after looking at 1L grades you decided you had to focus on getting a job in New York?

I'm on the West Coast. I'm not sure what I'd do if I worked in big law although right now I'm heavily leaning to PI. I that could change later but right now that's my preference. I suppose if I worked in big law I'd like to do corporate litigation (but definitely not in New York). My friend does that now (although he graduated from Stanford so he had his pick of jobs) and he likes it.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Michigan has a strong Bay Area alumni network and a solid/express focus on PI (not quite NYU status but it's there). I don't know if Duke does as well. Something you should obviously look into as you make up your mind about the Bay and PI work in general. I assume Duke places better in Atlanta/the South, but other than Duke's better biglaw placement in general, I would be surprised if either school has much of an edge in DC.

Assuming all things are equal, I might choose Michigan again because Ann Arbor is pretty liberal/fun and I don't like North Carolina, but I think Duke indisputably has an edge in employment outcomes. Not a T6 edge, obviously, but an appreciable one.

nordi

Postby nordi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

I think you've got to visit the schools to make a choice. The schools are very close in employment outcomes. Michigan sends a few more people into PI and government work, while Duke sends a handful more to firms. It should come down to the intangibles and where you feel more at home.

lawschoolbound94

Postby lawschoolbound94 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:34 am

I would go to whichever is cheaper. They are peer schools.

I'm biased though, and would pick Michigan because I lived in Michigan for awhile, and love the state dearly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”