Berkeley vs. UVA for NYC Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Smoking Gunner

Berkeley vs. UVA for NYC Biglaw

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Last edited by Smoking Gunner on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dipper

Re: Berkeley vs. UVA for NYC Biglaw

Postby Dipper » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

Smoking Gunner

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Last edited by Smoking Gunner on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

swampman

Postby swampman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:22 pm

They're close enough that you should make your decision based on cost of attendance or where you think you would be happier.

qwerty125 wrote: Also 16% of those jobs are university-funded so I think those numbers are a little misleading. .
Given that Berkeley has 8% unemployed and 8% school funded, not sure what your point is except that UVA is a better place to be bottom 8%.

Smoking Gunner

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:26 pm

swampman wrote:They're close enough that you should make your decision based on cost of attendance or where you think you would be happier.

qwerty125 wrote: Also 16% of those jobs are university-funded so I think those numbers are a little misleading. .
Given that Berkeley has 8% unemployed and 8% school funded, not sure what your point is except that UVA is a better place to be bottom 8%.

my point was just that I think that 95% employment number is slightly more inflated than Berkeley's 86.7%.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Go off of whichever is less expensive (I have a feeling that will be UVA).
If basically equal COA, visit both and pick the one you like more.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Dirigo wrote:Go off of whichever is less expensive (I have a feeling that will be UVA).
If basically equal COA, visit both and pick the one you like more.

This.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Virginia.

I'm guessing stats was not your strong suit!

OP: I also vote for whichever is cheaper. btw: it is really easy to obtain Cal residency for 2L & 3L, although the discount is not that much.

Smoking Gunner

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Virginia.

I'm guessing stats was not your strong suit!

OP: I also vote for whichever is cheaper. btw: it is really easy to obtain Cal residency for 2L & 3L, although the discount is not that much.

UVA's definitely cheaper, I'm just not particularly interested in living in the middle of nowhere (though I've heard Charlottesville is nice). On the other hand, if UVA really is going to increase my chances for NYC (i.e. the stats aren't just a representation of self-selection, but are actually indicative of a boost to UVA students over Berkeley students, and the partners I've talked to aren't representative of most NYC firms) then I would be willing to stick it out for 3 years. Basically I really like Berkeley's location over UVA, but I'm willing to sacrifice location for 3 years if it means a better chance at my ideal location after graduation.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:59 pm

qwerty125 wrote:
UVA's definitely cheaper, I'm just not particularly interested in living in the middle of nowhere (though I've heard Charlottesville is nice). On the other hand, if UVA really is going to increase my chances for NYC (i.e. the stats aren't just a representation of self-selection, but are actually indicative of a boost to UVA students over Berkeley students, and the partners I've talked to aren't representative of most NYC firms) then I would be willing to stick it out for 3 years. Basically I really like Berkeley's location over UVA, but I'm willing to sacrifice location for 3 years if it means a better chance at my ideal location after graduation.

Go to Berkeley then. No reason to spend three years of your life somewhere that you don't want to be. UVA won't increase your chances for NYC law.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Doesn't matter.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:22 pm

Berkeley and UVA are pretty universally considered peer schools, neither one has a leg-up on the other in NYC. If cost isn't a factor, just pick the school you like more based on location, fit, school culture, etc. It sounds like you'd much rather go to Berkeley so I don't think there's much of a choice here for you. I would suggest visiting both schools to be sure though. Although, this is a bit premature as you're still waiting to hear back from NYU and CLS where you'd rather attend anyways.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 pm

UVA is a demonstrably better bargain, but they're more or less peers and you really seem to prefer Berkeley, so just do that.

Caveat - if you have the numbers for UVA you are probably competitive for Penn. Are they involved here? Because P > the MVB Squad

Return to “Choosing a Law School”