USC vs CORNELL vs Georgetown vs LMU $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?!

USC
15%
UCLA
19%
Georgetown
8%
Cornell
58%

Total votes: 26

pineappleman

USC vs CORNELL vs Georgetown vs LMU $$$

Postby pineappleman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:25 am

Full ride scholarship to LMU, but haven't heard back on most scholarships yet...but here are my stats

167, 3.61
My family lives below poverty line, so while I know law schools don't give too much need-based aid, I know I'll receive at least SOME from private schools like Cornell...

I want to stay in California if possible (still waiting on UCLA decision), but am willing to go out of state for school if it means better prospects for the future. Ideally, I'd still want to come back to california and work, but I'm not leaving other job markets out 100%, although California is, and always will be the goal. Where should I consider going?

romothesavior

Re: USC vs CORNELL vs Georgetown vs LMU $$$

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:10 am

What are your career goals? How many times have you taken the LSAT?

Unfortunately, you're in that range where you're looking at big scholarship money to bad schools (only half of LMU grads land full time lawyering jobs within nine months) or pretty good schools at insane levels of debt.

You probably ought to retake the LSAT.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:50 am

It's hard to say without scholarship figures, but since California is the goal, then I think UCLA or USC will be your best options. Probably more potential for money at USC.

Romo is right on the weird middle ground you're in stats-wise (I empathize) but you shouldn't settle for Loyola.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:00 am

You should be able to get 100-120k at a minimum from USC/UCLA. No reason to consider LMU. Make sure to negotiate hard once all your scholarships are in and in the meantime sign up for a June retake.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:16 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:You should be able to get 100-120k at a minimum from USC/UCLA. No reason to consider LMU. Make sure to negotiate hard once all your scholarships are in and in the meantime sign up for a June retake.

Good call. I'm still up to speed on the employment data, but I've been away from the admissions numbers for quite a few years and they're much different now than five years ago.

If OP can get that kind of money from USC/UCLA, that would be a much better deal than LMU for free. Still though, that's a ton of debt. Retake for a handful of points is TCR.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:25 am

Yeah applications have tanked in recent years and with them LSAT medians. Fortunately the drop shows no signs of slowing. OP needs to remember this and keep in mind that schools will pay heavily for an LSAT at or above the target median. Even now a 167 does the trick at USC and UCLA, although another point or two will force those two to have to pay even more to get him away from good money in the T-14. Even if the score doesn't improve on a retake he should not settle for anything less than 100k from USC or UCLA, but I'd look to do quite a bit better than that because as romo suggested even 100k leaves you with probably 150k debt when repayment starts. Failing that give the LSAT another shot next year and try again with applications dropping even further.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 am

If you don't get at least 100k/year from USC or UCLA, sit out the cycle and retake.

Can you live with your parents in Los Angeles (albeit poverty line and whatnot) just to save on housing costs?

NYCFAN1

Postby NYCFAN1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm

figure out your total cost of attendance, then post

scholarship speculation is useless

HalfStudent

Postby HalfStudent » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:51 pm

I think you will get pretty good money from UCLA/USC.

lawschoolbound94

Postby lawschoolbound94 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:13 am

USC and UCLA is the best choices.

Georgetown is not going to have anything on USC or UCLA, or worth going to. They are the regional schools, and Georgetown is Harvard, Yale, etc so i would go with USC or UCLA because of local reputation and they are great choices.

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 am

I agree with the posters who said UCLA/USC. Rumor has it if you tell USC about your aid offer from UCLA they will usually match the offer and up it another 10 to 15K. Can't speak from experience but it wouldn't hurt to try. Just make sure you are really okay with staying in CA because you're mobility will be limited at a school outside the T13.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 am

lawschoolbound94 wrote:USC and UCLA is the best choices.

Georgetown is not going to have anything on USC or UCLA, or worth going to. They are the regional schools, and Georgetown is Harvard, Yale, etc so i would go with USC or UCLA because of local reputation and they are great choices.

I don't understand wat this means.

lsatsohard

Postby lsatsohard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 am

Winston1984 wrote:

I don't understand wat this means.

Nobody does

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 am

Thank you for that :lol:

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:03 pm

USC/UCLA seem like your best choices, but I'd only go if you can limit your total debt to maybe $100K. Beyond that, it's not worth the risk.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”