Likelihood of California firm after HLS vs SLS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
almondjoy

Re: Likelihood of California firm after HLS vs SLS?

Postby almondjoy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm

I was in somewhat of a similar situation as you. I was born and raised in CA (albeit SoCal), went to college there etc., and decided to go to the east coast for law school just as a change of scenario/broaden my horizons whatever. I'm at CCN so its not the same as Harvard obviously but it seems that if you have ties to CA, and make it clear that you're dead-set on going back, it isn't really that difficult to do. Also, it's really neat to see what actual seasons look like lol

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:35 pm

This has to be the greatest problem anyone could face. Congrats on your choices. :mrgreen:

As someone who is a Bay Area native who didn't leave until going to Massachusetts for undergrad, largely because I wanted to get away from the only place I'd ever known, I can say that it probably wasn't the right choice for me. After college I came straight back to the Bay Area, realizing that the people, weather, and culture is the one I love the best. Except now I have to work a little harder to find people (and employers) who respect my school as much as New Englanders do (but this is more because lol small liberal arts and not really an issue if you go to Harvard). And, perhaps most importantly, almost none of my friends from college live near me. I have so many contacts and close relations who I'm lucky if I see once every few years. I know law school is all business and stuff, but to me it would be a little sad to have the majority of your friends ending up somewhere far away from you. And I know Stanford and Harvard (and Yale, for that one guy) send graduates all over the place, but obviously more Stanford grads end up in CA than do Harvard or Yale grads.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't know about the Bay, but I have several friends that work/worked Big Law in L.A. and they tell me H pretty much dominates at their firms. Bay area Big Law may be different but I still think you'll be set. Palo Alto/SF is a pretty great place to be, though.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:06 pm

eh that's probably just bc H is a degree mill.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:32 am

It won't matter much. If you have ties and go to one of these top programs, you'll get a job. You'll need competitive grades at either school for the handful of firms that care in CA. Stanford might have an edge in elite boutique (e.g. Keker Van Nest) placement, but most of that occurs post-clerkship regardless.

Go based on which school you like better and which winds up cheaper. The schools are pretty different in many respects besides placement power - class size, semester v quarter, interdisciplinary research, clinical and journal requirements, weather, ect. These should be factors you consider when you visit

flomotion

Postby flomotion » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Ooer, thank you all so much for these helpful comments. I will be going to both ASWs and I'm sure that'll give me the "gut feeling" I'm looking for in making a decision. I think you're all right-- finding a job back here might not be the issue, but the fact that I would have a much tighter network in CA after SLS is pretty important. I'll keep you apprised of my choices here in case someone else finds this in the future in a similar situation!

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Someone who went to Berkeley for undergrad and who has lived/worked for years in SF is not going to have a hard time landing a firm job in the Bay Area out of HLS.

If your goal is to get a firm job in California, both SLS and HLS are fine given your ties to the state. Go to whichever one you like more.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

if you go to stanford can you live with your parents and save bux?

AOT

Postby AOT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Change of scenery doesn't sound like a small thing to me. I gather (0L here so y'know) it's not that easy to move regions once you've actually started working as a lawyer. Using law school as a chance to move somewhere for three years other than the place you're likely to end up is really reasonable when you're looking at similarly ranked schools. Staying in the same place your entire life would be godawful, no idea why people do it

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 pm

yea thats fine and most ppls advice in this thread has been some variation of "doesnt matter, go wherever you want"

im just saying you should visit both first bc u might find that the "scenery" at hls sux

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm at HLS everyone I know that bid CA got CA, even peeps with "lackluster" grades.

kara121

Postby kara121 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:02 pm

It will be very easy to get a California firm from Harvard, especially with your ties.

I am a rising 2L at Harvard with average grades and no California ties with 3+ offers from CA firms. Most HLS people bid NY/DC but pretty much everyone I know bidding CA firms did fine during on-campus interviews and callbacks.

Good Luck with your decision :)

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:18 am

lc39 wrote:
foamborn wrote:
lc39 wrote:
I guess I can't really understand the new thing is though. I've never lived anywhere but here. Also Palo Alto is not a great area (pretty much generic suburbia with insanely high COL) except for the fantastic weather.

You're right that I'm waffling for insignificant reasons though and the novelty of being on the east coast will probably wear off quickly.

yeah, that's a good point. it's hard to understand what u're getting unless u're there. but i still think as far as living conditions go it's pretty clear which is preferable. i wish i had lived in norcal all my life. i guess part of why i'm posting these things is cuz i'd like to shift the conversation in the other direction. i'm similarly choosing between y & s and basically wanna hear the arguments for taking s over y.

I know a lot of people IRL who have made that choice (s over y) so I'll PM you some of their responses in a bit.

I chose S over Y (after being deposited at Y). My decision was heavily based on strength of joint degree, so YMMV. Feel free to PM with questions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”