UCLA vs GWU vs UCI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I Attend?

UCLA
17%
UC Irvine
17%
GWU
17%
Wait for Georgetown
8%
Wait for Berkeley
25%
Other
17%

Total votes: 12

HansenC

UCLA vs GWU vs UCI

Postby HansenC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been accepted to UCLA, UC Irvine, and George Washington Law and I am unsure where to attend.
I plan to pursue intellectual property law and/or business law. I know that I want to be in DC or in Cali (which is good given my options).
I got a 165 on my LSAT and have 3.5 GPA in Engineering.

Scholarships:
UCLA nothing offered yet, just got accepted a few days ago.
UCI $50,000 per year (Anyone know their potential rating?)
GWU $20,000 per year.

Also accepted to UC Davis and University of Nebraska (my instate). Dinged by UPenn (as expected).
I know which I am leaning towards, but I am wondering what everyone has to say and any advice from alumni would be amazing. I also haven't heard back from Georgetown or Berkeley, but not too confident on being accepted or getting a scholarship to either.

So should I accept one of these offers (which one?) or wait to hear from GULC and Berkeley?

Ron Don Volante

Re: UCLA vs GWU vs UCI

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 pm

HansenC wrote:Hello everyone,
I have been accepted to UCLA, UC Irvine, and George Washington Law and I am unsure where to attend.
I plan to pursue intellectual property law and/or business law. I know that I want to be in DC or in Cali (which is good given my options).
I got a 165 on my LSAT and have 3.5 GPA in Engineering.

Scholarships:
UCLA nothing offered yet, just got accepted a few days ago.
UCI $50,000 per year (Anyone know their potential rating?)
GWU $20,000 per year.

Also accepted to UC Davis and University of Nebraska (my instate). Dinged by UPenn (as expected).
I know which I am leaning towards, but I am wondering what everyone has to say and any advice from alumni would be amazing. I also haven't heard back from Georgetown or Berkeley, but not too confident on being accepted or getting a scholarship to either.

So should I accept one of these offers (which one?) or wait to hear from GULC and Berkeley?

Unfortunately, none of these options are very good for your goals. UCLA without a substantial scholarship is simply unjustifiable. Even for an IP kid, > 150K COA at GWU is not an advisable investment. UCI is fine with a full ride if you want to work in the immediate area and have ties to the area. If you're from Nebraska, and appear to probably want a job that requires a start at a bigger firm, I don't think that's a good idea. If you get into GTTTown, you're going to be looking at sticker -- again, an essentially unjustifiable move. Not going to get into Berk.

Either going to have to change your goals, retake, or take an unjustifiable and extremely risky debt load.

If I were you, I'd put my degree to use for a few years and get a job, then retake for a good score and think about this again in a couple years.

BigZuck

Re: UCLA vs GWU vs UCI

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:40 pm

I think that unless you get a substantial scholarship to UCLA, working as an Engineer would be much, much better for your future than going to law school

Return to “Choosing a Law School”