negotiating UVA scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
erinnoel

negotiating UVA scholarship?

Postby erinnoel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:34 pm

is a 75k scholarship from UVA good for my numbers? i have a 3.74 and a 171. should i even ask for more or do they not negotiate at all? i feel bad asking but more money would really help. obviously i'm not going to ask now, but i'm just wondering what you all think....

erinnoel

Re: negotiating UVA scholarship?

Postby erinnoel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:39 pm

sorry if this doesn't seem relevant to the forum, but i am thinking that i will probably choose to go to UVA if i can get more money/even if i can't, so that's why i put it here

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 pm

It's a buyer's market. Definitely negotiate.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 pm

yes, definitely negotiate, but you'll need some leverage to maximize outcome.

any other potential offers?

erinnoel

Postby erinnoel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

ballcaps wrote:yes, definitely negotiate, but you'll need some leverage to maximize outcome.

so far i've gotten 75k from Michigan, haven't heard about money from Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, etc. and 120k at George Washington. I guess I would try to bump up my offer from Michigan first because i raised my GPA significantly since they awarded me that, and then come to UVA with that? i don't know if my GW offer would even be relevant to UVA since they're not peers? i'm not really sure how this works

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 pm

erinnoel wrote:
ballcaps wrote:yes, definitely negotiate, but you'll need some leverage to maximize outcome.

so far i've gotten 75k from Michigan, haven't heard about money from Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, etc. and 120k at George Washington. I guess I would try to bump up my offer from Michigan first because i raised my GPA significantly since they awarded me that, and then come to UVA with that? i don't know if my GW offer would even be relevant to UVA since they're not peers? i'm not really sure how this works

hmm. someone else will need to chime in on the GW situation, but you're right: they're not peers, which makes it less likely UVA will care.

i would wait until receiving all offers. then, assuming UVA is your #1 choice, i'd write a clear and sincere email that describes:

1) your deep and abiding love for UVA;
2) your serious, if not dire, financial situation; and
3) the other, hopefully better offers you've received.

if no other t14 comes through with a >75k offer, i'd go ahead and include GW's.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”