Seattle U vs Hastings vs Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zeda

Seattle U vs Hastings vs Cardozo

Postby zeda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 pm

Hey guys,
Need some input or I'll go insane trying to explain things to "advisers" who are not knowledgeable on statistics and all that.

I'm from Seattle and have a pretty solid professional network here. I've been out of business school for almost 3 years now and work for a a major company here in Seattle.

I got 25k at Seattle U with a top 50% stipulation. 20k at Cardozo with top 20% stipulation. Waiting on information from Hastings but by the looks of it, it'll probably be around 20k as well judging by past years. I'm waitlisted at Boston College for now.

I'm interested in working with developing businesses, mostly startups. I have a background in that and is a big passion for me. So I think I want to stay on the West Coast since a lot of that goodness happens here as well as my professional network backing me up on this coast.

What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm looking into retaking the LSAT and sitting out another year. However based on current situation, I'd like your input. I don't know how much better I can really do so this may be it for me.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Seattle U vs Hastings vs Cardozo

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Why do you want to do this? Sounds like you've got a pretty good thing going on now.

zeda

Postby zeda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Why do you want to do this? Sounds like you've got a pretty good thing going on now.

Because working for a conglomerate company is not the least bit satisfying. Law school is not my ticket to success, it's going to be a supplement. I've always wanted to become an attorney, an MBA doesn't do much in the work that I do now. I want to work contracts at a higher value and higher responsibility level. In order to do that, even in my current position, we always have to reach out to the legal department for support when things get interesting, and I'm only interested in those challenging contracts. There's positions at my company that require a JD.

zeda

Postby zeda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:24 pm

zeda wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:Why do you want to do this? Sounds like you've got a pretty good thing going on now.

Because working for a conglomerate company is not the least bit satisfying. Law school is not my ticket to success, it's going to be a supplement. I've always wanted to become an attorney, an MBA doesn't do much in the work that I do now. I want to work contracts at a higher value and higher responsibility level. In order to do that, even in my current position, we always have to reach out to the legal department for support when things get interesting, and I'm only interested in those challenging contracts. There's positions at my company that require a JD.

that's sort of the reasoning behind leaving my current position. I really want to be working with developing companies and if I was to try to work with my current education and experience, I'd hit a wall pretty quickly as the expertise that is needed is really a legal degree and experience in that specifically.

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:39 pm

If you're determined to go to law school...

Retake the LSAT, get offered a full ride next year to Seattle's PT program and see if you can stay at your job while you pursue your degree.

The other options will put you in a great deal of debt and leave you with less than ideal job prospects.

Btw, are you sure your 'Dozo scholly isn't top 80%? That's what my full scholly offer is and their retention numbers are around 90%.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:40 pm

All right but just remember we're talking about schools where half the kids will never get a job, and where the ones that do are lucky to break 50K. Money obviously isn't everything, but it's going to be extremely difficult to justify the opportunity cost here. Even with a retake (what you should do) with better options, it's going to be tough to justify.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm

This is a rare situation where part time might work. Would your company be willing to pay part (or all) of your law school expenses?

I wouldn't go to any of those schools, at those prices, with those scholarship stipulations. Their employment numbers aren't very good. And the cost is just too high. The only way I'd take one of those options is if an employer is making a financial commitment to your legal degree.

(Also, if you're not aware of it, you should look into "section stacking." Schools with scholarship stipulations have been known to stack many students with scholarships into the same section, guaranteeing that at least some of them will lose their scholarship.)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:45 pm

At those prices, absolutely none of the above. Seattle might not be a terrible option if you could go for free with no stipulations attached. Retake and reapply.

Also, it sounds like you need to make sure a JD is necessary for what you want to do. Getting a law degree is usually a bad investment if you don't plan to practice law.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Getting a law degree is usually a bad investment if you don't plan to practice law.

zeda

Postby zeda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 pm

welp that was pointless.

forget it folks!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:07 pm

This could maybe make sense to me if you're trying to move up the ladder in your current industry and it's free (either a full ride or employer paying)

If you would need to rely on the placement power of any of these schools and/or it was not free and/or you would be quitting your current job then this would probably be a disastrously bad idea. These law schools are not good.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:09 pm

zeda wrote:welp that was pointless.
forget it folks!

You're getting good answers to your question. Isn't that the point?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:13 pm

zeda wrote:welp that was pointless.

forget it folks!

How was this pointless? You asked for input and got it. None of these schools make sense at the listed price points. Given your goals, Seattle might make some sense if you could get a full ride or get your current employer to pay for it. But paying a lot for any of these schools is a bad idea, especially since it doesn't sound like you want to practice law in a traditional sense.

Nobody here is going to tell you to get a Hastings or a Cardozo JD to go along with your MBA so you can work in business in Seattle. The responses you've gotten have been on-point. Don't complain because it's not what you want to hear.

UnderTheLaw

Postby UnderTheLaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:How was this pointless?

UnderTheLaw

Postby UnderTheLaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Seattle might make some sense if you could get a full ride .

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 pm

zeda wrote:Hey guys,
Need some input or I'll go insane trying to explain things to "advisers" who are not knowledgeable on statistics and all that.

I'm from Seattle and have a pretty solid professional network here. I've been out of business school for almost 3 years now and work for a a major company here in Seattle.

I got 25k at Seattle U with a top 50% stipulation. 20k at Cardozo with top 20% stipulation. Waiting on information from Hastings but by the looks of it, it'll probably be around 20k as well judging by past years. I'm waitlisted at Boston College for now.

I'm interested in working with developing businesses, mostly startups. I have a background in that and is a big passion for me. So I think I want to stay on the West Coast since a lot of that goodness happens here as well as my professional network backing me up on this coast.

What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm looking into retaking the LSAT and sitting out another year. However based on current situation, I'd like your input. I don't know how much better I can really do so this may be it for me.

what in the fuck are you thinking. why piss away a very solid job chasing something very very rare. you want to work in developing startups? you gotta go law school 3 years, corp biglaw 3 years, and then hope to find an inhouse position. plus, you aren't like to get biglaw out of any of the above. keep your good job and try to get involved more in what you want to do by networking and taking on projects. developing businesses within startups is still doable on the business side with an MBA.

Okie25

Postby Okie25 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Gotta retake bro

zeda

Postby zeda » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:09 pm

ok opinions noted, going to wait for Boston College waitlist and will retake if needed.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:12 pm

zeda wrote:ok opinions noted, going to wait for Boston College waitlist and will retake if needed.

Uhhh, Boston College admission off the waitlist isn't a winning choice. Boston College isn't on the extremely short list of schools that may be worth paying sticker for.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Boston College off the waitlist (sticker) is literally suicidal. We're talking > 250K in debt for pretty marginal job prospects. Best case scenario is bad.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Info about your current salary and why you don't lile the job is relevant. Legal work requires a lot of paper pushing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”