Engineer-to-IP Lawyer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thebobs1987

Re: Engineer-to-IP Lawyer

Postby thebobs1987 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 pm

KuchKuch wrote:Chemical Engineer with 4 years experience in oil/gas and renewable energies industries. I am interested in pursuing IP Law, specifically new technologies and entrepreneurial companies, though open to continuing working in the oil and gas industry. I don't have much desire to do big law and my end goal is to grow a customer database and work for myself. I have a unique situation in that my husband, who is a Chemical Engineer as well, is pursuing IP Law as well. We are going for joint acceptances at all schools.

Reasons for pursuing law school: when looking for a career you should consider your Life/Work Balance, Compensation, and How much you have to Travel. With engineering all three suck. What I am looking for in Law is to satisfy two of those three.

Having been a working professional and also having to handle undergrad debt, I understand what I want out of my next career and the financial implications of law school. What I am struggling with is how much do the rankings mean and basically any input on the schools we have currently gotten into.

Stats: 3.2 gpa, 162 LSAT

Schools we are debating, with financial info and views:

University of Colorado (#43): Both Accepted, love Colorado, with scholarships total tuition would be : $62,200 (me), $102,258 (husband)

University of Indiana (#29): Both Accepted, unsure about living in Indiana, with scholarships total tuition would be : $76,790 (me), $121,791 (husband)

University of North Carolina (#31): Both Accepted, Open to living in North Carolina but don't want to end up in DC, with scholarships total tuition would be : $40,214 (me), $85,214 (husband)

Washington University (#18): Husband Waitlisted, I am in. I think this is our trump school but unsure with the amount of debt. We would be happy staying in the midwest, total tuition would be : $155,306 (me), $155,306 (husband)

So what is the best course to ensure jobs post graduation and put us on the right foot for our legal careers? Any input is welcomed except those who say were stupid to be going into law. I've done the research, I've done the financial calculations, I know what its all about.

I have had a lot of friends that were engineers and then went to law school and nearly all have gotten good paying jobs. I know some say that patent law might be slowing down soon, but I haven't seen it with big law hiring at my school where patent people that are well below median are getting big law at a school where less than 25% of the rest of the school gets it. With that said, one of my best friends was ChemE and is now doing patent lit at a V20 and could not be more miserable. He travels a decent amount and works non-stop. Pay is good but he would rather get fired. You both need to retake just to lower the COA because that debt load will force you to do big law for several years even if you hate it. And it will ruin you guys financially if you both don't get big law.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:15 pm

KuchKuch wrote:
So what is the best course to ensure jobs post graduation and put us on the right foot for our legal careers? Any input is welcomed except those who say were stupid to be going into law. I've done the research, I've done the financial calculations, I know what its all about.

well, if you and your husband are set on going, then choose the cheapest option, because none of those school will ensure jobs post graduation. GL.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:53 am

You're going to be unhappy if you go to law school, but you've already made up your mind. So just do whatever the hell you want to do. It's your life. Why do you care whether or not a bunch of people on the internet pat you on the back for going to law school? If you've done enough research to be 100% sure that law school is the right decision, you don't need any advice regarding which school to go to. Going to law school is what you do when you can't think of something useful to do with your life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”