How important is the location of the law school you attend?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
emilymoore04

How important is the location of the law school you attend?

Postby emilymoore04 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 am

I'm starting to look at various law schools. I won't be applying until next Fall, but my undergraduate advisor has suggested that I make a list of top schools I'd like to attend. I'm concerned about how much location matters when picking the right law school. Everyone has told me that the most important part about picking a law school is making sure that you go to a school in the area you'd like to work in. I'd like to be a lawyer on the East Coast, preferably in NYC. With my GPA/LSAT Score, I am able to look into NYU & Columbia as options. However, I'm also looking into attending Northwestern. This is because, financially, it would be easier to attend NU. Would going to Northwestern jeopardize my chances of eventually landing a job on the East Coast?

RZ5646

Re: How important is the location of the law school you attend?

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:49 am

Top schools are supposed to have national placement.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:51 am

No

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 am

No, and it's probably easier to get biglaw in NYC from NU than in Chicago anyways

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:55 am

Take the money and run.

mccllln2

Postby mccllln2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 am

emilymoore04 wrote:I'm starting to look at various law schools. I won't be applying until next Fall, but my undergraduate advisor has suggested that I make a list of top schools I'd like to attend. I'm concerned about how much location matters when picking the right law school. Everyone has told me that the most important part about picking a law school is making sure that you go to a school in the area you'd like to work in. I'd like to be a lawyer on the East Coast, preferably in NYC. With my GPA/LSAT Score, I am able to look into NYU & Columbia as options. However, I'm also looking into attending Northwestern. This is because, financially, it would be easier to attend NU. Would going to Northwestern jeopardize my chances of eventually landing a job on the East Coast?

NY is the deepest market, so doing well at any T14 school is going to give you a decent shot there. That being said NYU/Columbia is going to give you a leg up. You'll have to take into account scholarships, career goals etc. Basically just apply broadly and see how it shakes out.

js1663

Postby js1663 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:05 am

emilymoore04 wrote:I'm starting to look at various law schools. I won't be applying until next Fall, but my undergraduate advisor has suggested that I make a list of top schools I'd like to attend. I'm concerned about how much location matters when picking the right law school. Everyone has told me that the most important part about picking a law school is making sure that you go to a school in the area you'd like to work in. I'd like to be a lawyer on the East Coast, preferably in NYC. With my GPA/LSAT Score, I am able to look into NYU & Columbia as options. However, I'm also looking into attending Northwestern. This is because, financially, it would be easier to attend NU. Would going to Northwestern jeopardize my chances of eventually landing a job on the East Coast?

Pretty much what everyone else said. The T14 distinction is generally considered to be for the schools that, unlike the others carry weight and place graduates well all over the country, not just in their region (so basically the 14 schools are the exception to the rule your pre-law advisor told you about).

With that said, NYC placement is like everyone else said - all the top schools place well there, including Northwestern which places 21% in NYC (versus 36% in Illinois, a difference but not as crazy as schools like Columbia and NYU which place 63-66% in NYC and 6-10% in the 2nd place location). Other schools such as Columbia and NYU do place much larger percentages there but you'll have a shot from any of the options you've listed.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:06 am

When you get out of like the T14 the location really is crucial. When you're not talking probably T6, it still needs to be an important consideration. If your primary goal is to be in a particular secondary or local market, though, proximity to that market might be the most important consideration.

But to answer your particular question: Northwestern with good money won't put you in a bad situation at all for getting back to the east coast (so long as east coast means NYC or DC). Depending on how much money NYU/Columbia would offer, it's very possibly a better option.

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:13 am

Take the t14 with the most money. Remake this thread when you have acceptances and $ offers to compare.

edit: Actually, I take this back. I would not go to law school even with a full ride to t6 if I could go back in time.
Last edited by BizBro on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:33 am

heres someone with all their ducks in a row - limitless options and tls is like yeah girl go to law school. meanwhile some guy on the verge of being homeless and tls is like dont go yyou fucking idiot, retake while being a hobo.
the fuck is wrong with you psychos. dont go to law school.

edit - to answer your question it doesnt matter at all. nyc will take any robot human they can crush the life blood of and bill out 2400-2600 hours before you walk in after year 1 or 2 if you are lucky and give your 2 weeks notice and noone blinks an eye.
Last edited by JohannDeMann on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 am

:lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”