Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I attend UNH at Full-tuition (renewable after 1L with 3.0GPA)?

Yes, attend this fall. You'll likely be able to renew.
15%
No, do something else.
56%
No opinion / Was gonna say retake
28%

Total votes: 39

StarDust89

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am

Last edited by StarDust89 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:26 am

Dirigo wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:please explain to us how a jd is flexible, especially from a T95

Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

Which research positions require a JD? Genuinely curious, but calling b.s.

Sure, here's an example for Policy Researcher with a nonprofit called Solutions for Progress. I'm interested.
http://www.solutionsforprogress.com/wp- ... osting.pdf

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 am

lol at you not blindly supporting unh
you have to go out of your way to get to some of the numbers you posted
i like how you didn't include the most relevant numbers because they looked worse for unh
and substituted them with numbers that are incomplete or useless without context
very deceitful

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:28 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:please explain to us how a jd is flexible, especially from a T95

Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

Which research positions require a JD? Genuinely curious, but calling b.s.

Sure, here's an example for Policy Researcher with a nonprofit called Solutions for Progress. I'm interested.
http://www.solutionsforprogress.com/wp- ... osting.pdf

That doesn't require a JD though. Give us an example of a JD position you want that requires a JD.

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:29 am

schmelling wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:It sounds like law school isn't for you. Have you looked into graduate programs that might be more relevant to your career goals?

https://msfs.georgetown.edu

Haha, yes I have actually! And you may be right. In fact I had all but scraped law school after my inability to increase my score. But I was hoping to hear what people thought about this letter I received from UNH today. Sadly, the conversation became very confrontational and that wasn't my intention.

I touched on these masters a bit in my initial post and my concern with them is that I would be finishing a two year degree in a market that really does not have a lot of demand. My biggest fear is that with this costly masters my options would be equally limited coming out. The skillset it develops applies to select career tracks, such as FSO, and given the low chances of obtaining that position, it would really be a considerable risk to bank on it. The law degree, as unpopular as this may sound, is indeed more versatile.

the problem is that in law the jobs may be more numerous, but so is the pool of qualified candidates. all of the concerns you cited for this masters could equally apply to law school.

Schmelling, fair enough, appreciate your input! But would this mean that the numbers on LST are inaccurate? Or maybe I'm not interpreting them correctly? LST reports that 70% of 2013 graduates were employed and that unemployment was only 15%. How to make sense of these figures fairly? By the way, I am not blindly supporting UNH here. Heck I'm not even from NH! My main interest is my future wellbeing. But I do want to understand how you come to your judgment.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:29 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:30 am

follow your dreams op!

not really, but sorta

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:34 am

You get those kind of jobs by being buddies w the powers that be, and if it's a legit org, you need to be supremely credentialed; unh is not going to help w either. Why would they want some rando fresh grad from a school they've never heard of?

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:43 am

Dirigo, my claim was that a JD is more "flexible" because it would allow me to do jobs that would require either an MA or JD to do, such as positions related to research/analysis, as well as jobs that require only a JD, such as public interest work. It was in response to RDV who wanted me to explain why I thought a JD was more flexible. Then you requested that I find a research position that required a JD, which wasn't really my point to begin with, but I did my best to satisfy you. Now you want me to find a research position that exclusively requires a JD. I don't know, not sure why I'm being asked to do this, but maybe if I look hard enough I can find one. I'll let you know if I do. One that I seem to vaguely remember seeing was as an Investigative Analyst at the Office of the Inspector General.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:48 am

StarDust89 wrote:Dirigo, my claim was that a JD is more "flexible" because it would allow me to do jobs that would require either an MA or JD to do, such as positions related to research/analysis, as well as jobs that require only a JD, such as public interest work. It was in response to RDV who wanted me to explain why I thought a JD was more flexible. Then you requested that I find a research position that required a JD, which wasn't really my point to begin with, but I did my best to satisfy you. Now you want me to find a research position that exclusively requires a JD. I don't know, not sure why I'm being asked to do this, but maybe if I look hard enough I can find one. I'll let you know if I do. One that I seem to vaguely remember seeing was as an Investigative Analyst at the Office of the Inspector General.

Huh?
StarDust89 wrote:Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

I questioned you on something you clearly stated.
You're missing quite a few marbles.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:50 am

@stardust

yea i wonder why a forum full of law students/lawyers are asking you to back up your fantastical assertions about the legal job market

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 am

Dirigo wrote:You're missing quite a few marbles.

that's an understatement

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 am

leigh912198972 wrote:follow your dreams op!

not really, but sorta

Hi, I know you're only trying to bother with your sarcasm, but I'd still like to know what you mean by it.
I clicked on your profile and it looks like you're LUC '17? If that is Loyola University Chicago, why do you think attending that law school would help you achieve your dreams while UNH wouldn't help get me closer to mine?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:54 am

StarDust89 wrote:
not really, but sorta

Hi, I know you're only trying to bother with your sarcasm, but I'd still like to know what you mean by it.

Lolwut

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:57 am

Dirigo wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:Dirigo, my claim was that a JD is more "flexible" because it would allow me to do jobs that would require either an MA or JD to do, such as positions related to research/analysis, as well as jobs that require only a JD, such as public interest work. It was in response to RDV who wanted me to explain why I thought a JD was more flexible. Then you requested that I find a research position that required a JD, which wasn't really my point to begin with, but I did my best to satisfy you. Now you want me to find a research position that exclusively requires a JD. I don't know, not sure why I'm being asked to do this, but maybe if I look hard enough I can find one. I'll let you know if I do. One that I seem to vaguely remember seeing was as an Investigative Analyst at the Office of the Inspector General.

Huh?
StarDust89 wrote:Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

I questioned you on something you clearly stated.
You're missing quite a few marbles.

And I've answered by asserting my original position. I apologize if I can't defend a straw man which I never claimed. I did try my best to satisfy you, though.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:58 am

StarDust89 wrote:

not really, but sorta

I clicked on your profile and it looks like you're LUC '17? If that is Loyola University Chicago, why do you think attending that law school would help you achieve your dreams while UNH wouldn't help get me closer to mine?

Quoted before your edit.

It's not sarcasm at all, actually. My poasting style is that i make fun of myself all the fucking time but pretty much never make fun of other people.

I am luc '17.

I don't think that you going to UNH would NOT help you get to closer to your dreams.
Getting to your dreams is largely dependent on YOU and not your school. Of freaking course your school makes a difference in that, if we've learned anything from undergrad (at least I saw people discriminated against/raised up for their school in undergrad). It's even more so in law school.
That being said, I am a strong believer in following your dreams. BUT you have to have the right combination of 1) knowledge about what you want and how your plan will get you there, and 2) luck.

Just not totally convinced from what you're saying that you have #1. Maybe you do. I dont know you.

So, seriously....follow your dreams. Not really, but sorta....because you need other things too.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 am

impressive restraint leigh

op have you considered killing yourself?

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:05 am

leigh912198972 wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:

not really, but sorta

Quoted before your edit.

It's not sarcasm at all, actually. My poasting style is that i make fun of myself all the fucking time but pretty much never make fun of other people.

I am luc '17.

I don't think that you going to UNH would NOT help you get to closer to your dreams.
Getting to your dreams is largely dependent on YOU and not your school. Of freaking course your school makes a difference in that, if we've learned anything from undergrad (at least I saw people discriminated against/raised up for their school in undergrad). It's even more so in law school.
That being said, I am a strong believer in following your dreams. BUT you have to have the right combination of 1) knowledge about what you want and how your plan will get you there, and 2) luck.

Just not totally convinced from what you're saying that you have #1. Maybe you do. I dont know you.

So, seriously....follow your dreams. Not really, but sorta....because you need other things too.

Ah gotcha! My apologies for misinterpreting you! Unfortunately the confrontational tones here have me assuming the worst intentions! But thanks for encouragement. My reason for posting here is to learn from people, but I won't accept everything I hear to the contradiction of my own personal observations and interactions with people. Our view of the world is after all from a very limited personal perspective, which is why I agree with you on what it takes to get to where you want to be.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:08 am

Whoops thought you edited but it was just a partial quote by Dirigo

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 am

Post removed.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:09 am

@stardust

yes, don't listen to a forum full of law students and lawyers

i'm sure your own personal observations are much more accurate

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 am

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:16 am

lol yeah i think he's probably trolling too

but this has been a fun distraction from the memo i'm trying to avoid writing

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18 am

Brut wrote:@stardust

yes, don't listen to a forum full of law students and lawyers

i'm sure your own personal observations are much more accurate

Haha, well yes it's true, I tend to question opinions from individuals over the internet whose background and qualifications I have no knowledge of despite claims that the forum is full of law students and lawyers. Incidentally, which one of those are you? It would help me give your rude commentary a bit more credibility.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 am

Post removed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”