Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I attend UNH at Full-tuition (renewable after 1L with 3.0GPA)?

Yes, attend this fall. You'll likely be able to renew.
15%
No, do something else.
56%
No opinion / Was gonna say retake
28%

Total votes: 39

JohannDeMann

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 am

taking temp jobs isnt a solution to shit. law school is bad because one of the outcomes it leads to is temp jobs. so by taking one of these temp jobs OP is engaging in the worst case scenario already. might as well go to law school and take the risk. worst case scenario, you're back at square 1 where you are now. but like ive said - go to school in the stat you wanna be permanently

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Even if most FSOs have JDs, what experience did they have before getting those JDs, and where are those JDs from?

What people here are trying to tell you is that UNH is not a school that is going to send lots of people to the DOS. Either you have enough pertinent pre-law school experience and connections that the school you attend doesn't matter, or you go to a school with connections to DOS. I really doubt UNH is one of those schools.

I respectfully disagree with the statement that UNH is not a school that will send people to the DOS, at least insofar as the positions I'm interested in, which doesn't include their legal department. I form this opinion based on the knowledge and conversations I've had with people now working in the DOS and seeing where they have graduated from. UNH would be an acceptable institution, or at the very least would not harm my chances. As far as relevant experience, I' have had some.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am

It sounds like law school isn't for you. Have you looked into graduate programs that might be more relevant to your career goals?

https://msfs.georgetown.edu

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:38 am

Big Red wrote:you've only sent out 50 apps in 4 months?

Not great, I know, but I've also spent weeks at a time preparing for the few interviews I've had. One interview I had was three rounds, but was unable to attain the job after being flown in for the all day interviews. This was a consulting-type gig. I agree I should do better. I do take a lot of time to research and send a really good application before submitting though, tweaking the resume and cover letter, as well as all other required documents. A lot of positions now also require you to take lengthy GRE type exams and character fit exams as part of their weeding-out process. Companies are very dependent on automatic screening systems to weed out applicants and these computerized systems definitely penalize me for my lack of experience and technical skills because they grade you based on certain key words. This all sound like excuses, but it is a part of my every day reality.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 am

StarDust89 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Even if most FSOs have JDs, what experience did they have before getting those JDs, and where are those JDs from?

What people here are trying to tell you is that UNH is not a school that is going to send lots of people to the DOS. Either you have enough pertinent pre-law school experience and connections that the school you attend doesn't matter, or you go to a school with connections to DOS. I really doubt UNH is one of those schools.

I respectfully disagree with the statement that UNH is not a school that will send people to the DOS, at least insofar as the positions I'm interested in, which doesn't include their legal department. I form this opinion based on the knowledge and conversations I've had with people now working in the DOS and seeing where they have graduated from. UNH would be an acceptable institution, or at the very least would not harm my chances. As far as relevant experience, I' have had some.

You have experience insofar as the DOS would be interested in you, and the experience is so great the DOS will overlook that you went to a shitty law school (for your purposes), but, at the same time, you are completely unable to get a job that even tangentially relates to this experience? OK.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:41 am

StarDust89 wrote:

Then why the heck are you here?
You asked us if you should go to UNH and you're getting responses.
If you simply want affirmations and your ill-conceived plans to be rubber stamped, then go ask your mirror for advice.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:41 am

StarDust89 wrote:

You really don't get it. No one is saying UNH JD will preclude you from getting a DOS job. The point is that the UNH JD won't help you get that job. In fact, it'll probably hurt you because you will be competing against very impressive resumes where your UNH JD will be laughed at.

Enjoy the laughter, Stardust

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:43 am

@stardust

you need to stop making up things up
it's one thing to make bad decisions for yourself
it's an entirely different think to infect potentially hundreds of future readers of this thread with your stupid ideas

after i explained how your career goals were too narrow and difficult to achieve
you responded by explaining that 2% of applicants are hired in the position you're seeking
given the extraordinarily high risk of failure, you would have to be a world class moron to go to UNH
yet the more people try to point out these risks to you, the more steadfast you are in your belief that unh is an "acceptable institution" for your goals

you didn't do well on the lsat and now you're trying to rationalize going to a school that gives you virtually no shot at what you want
go ahead, do whatever you want
but don't come on tls seeking validation

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:45 am

Dirigo wrote:It sounds like law school isn't for you. Have you looked into graduate programs that might be more relevant to your career goals?

Haha, yes I have actually! And you may be right. In fact I had all but scraped law school after my inability to increase my score. But I was hoping to hear what people thought about this letter I received from UNH today. Sadly, the conversation became very confrontational and that wasn't my intention.

I touched on these masters a bit in my initial post and my concern with them is that I would be finishing a two year degree in a market that really does not have a lot of demand. My biggest fear is that with this costly masters my options would be equally limited coming out. The skillset it develops applies to select career tracks, such as FSO, and given the low chances of obtaining that position, it would really be a considerable risk to bank on it. The law degree, as unpopular as this may sound, is indeed more versatile.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:48 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Big Red wrote:you've only sent out 50 apps in 4 months?

Not great, I know, but I've also spent weeks at a time preparing for the few interviews I've had. One interview I had was three rounds, but was unable to attain the job after being flown in for the all day interviews. This was a consulting-type gig. I agree I should do better. I do take a lot of time to research and send a really good application before submitting though, tweaking the resume and cover letter, as well as all other required documents. A lot of positions now also require you to take lengthy GRE type exams and character fit exams as part of their weeding-out process. Companies are very dependent on automatic screening systems to weed out applicants and these computerized systems definitely penalize me for my lack of experience and technical skills because they grade you based on certain key words. This all sound like excuses, but it is a part of my every day reality.

they don't sound like excuses, they are excuses

you have excuses for why you're not retaking
you have excuses for why you don't want this job or that job
you have excuses for why you're not putting in serious effort on the employment search

grow up op

listen to the clear consensus in this thread
unh gives you almost no shot at your stated goals
you can keep dwelling on it, or you can take it on the chin, try to learn something instead of shouting everyone down, and either (a) readjust your goals, or (b) start finding a more viable path to achieve your current ones
Last edited by 03152016 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:49 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:50 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:It sounds like law school isn't for you. Have you looked into graduate programs that might be more relevant to your career goals?

Haha, yes I have actually! And you may be right. In fact I had all but scraped law school after my inability to increase my score. But I was hoping to hear what people thought about this letter I received from UNH today. Sadly, the conversation became very confrontational and that wasn't my intention.
I touched on these masters a bit in my initial post and my concern with them is that I would be finishing a two year degree in a market that really does not have a lot of demand. My biggest fear is that with this costly masters my options would be equally limited coming out. The skillset it develops applies to select career tracks, such as FSO, and given the low chances of obtaining that position, it would really be a considerable risk to bank on it. The law degree, as unpopular as this may sound, is indeed more versatile.

I think it's better to pursue a degree in the field rather than attend some random mediocre law school.
But it seems like you're seeing the light that your FSO goals aren't realistic coming from UNH.
What modest outcomes would you enjoy coming out of law school?
Do you actually want to become a lawyer? The whole notion that a law degree is super flexible is an antiquated boomerism.
Last edited by Rigo on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:50 am

Ramius wrote:Enjoy the slaughter, Stardust

FTFY

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:54 am

please explain to us how a jd is flexible, especially from a T95

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:54 am

I don't think changing your plans because a school that wants more applicants sent you a recruitment letter. Did you not realize before this that your GPA and LSAT would get you a full ride somewhere? Did it seem like a good idea before a law school reached out to you with it?

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:00 am

Dirigo wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:

Then why the heck are you here?
You asked us if you should go to UNH and you're getting responses.
If you simply want affirmations and your ill-conceived plans to be rubber stamped, then go ask your mirror for advice.

I wanted an opinion about whether it is advisable to go to UNH full tuition renewable.
But that doesn't mean I will accept every argument given against going to UNH, such as the argument that you cannot get a DOS job coming out of it. I disagree with that point, given my knowledge of where people who now have DOS Jobs went to school. I am simply interested in your opinions on UNH as a school on its own, not on perceived merits of it landing me a job at DOS, which is nevertheless a very narrow goal, if nothing else.
I presented some numbers about employment rates and other figures, and it looks to me that the figures do not look too bad. The majority of the people answering are against attending UNH, but very few people say what is so bad about it exactly, especially given the numbers, which I honestly do not think look bad unless I am misinterpreting them. If I am, I'd like to know how to better read these figures.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:02 am

it is also possible you'll become an astronaut after your stint at UNHLS

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

StarDust89

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:please explain to us how a jd is flexible, especially from a T95

Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 am

schmellin you srs w/ that tar

schmelling

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:13 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:please explain to us how a jd is flexible, especially from a T95

Well my thinking stems from my observation that many of the positions that I have been naturally interested in have required a JD. Even more positions that I've wanted to do have required either a MA or a JD. JD positions have required it exclusively, whereas MA positions would accept a JD degree. These have been positions more related to research/analysis, which I have liked. Maybe flexible isn't the right word. I don't know what their thinking would be, however, on UNH in specific. We can speculate, sure.

Which research positions require a JD? Genuinely curious, but calling b.s.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 am

StarDust89 wrote:

Yeah. No.

We can't stop you from doing this, but you can't say you weren't warned.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:16 am

StarDust89 wrote:I presented some numbers about employment rates and other figures, and it looks to me that the figures do not look too bad. The majority of the people answering are against attending UNH, but very few people say what is so bad about it exactly, especially given the numbers, which I honestly do not think look bad unless I am misinterpreting them. If I am, I'd like to know how to better read these figures.

many useless figures, just like in your first thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233545)
you included solos in your employment calculation
and included non-professional jobs in your FT
you included salaries even though the response rate was 44%

StarDust89 wrote:Talk about laser-like analysis. I can read too, you know, but I choose not to believe everything I read.

lol

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:

Yeah. No.

We can't stop you from doing this, but you can't say you weren't warned.

ya, he got all the right advice in his first thread
if he's going to be willfully dense there's not much we can do about it

Return to “Choosing a Law School”