Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I attend UNH at Full-tuition (renewable after 1L with 3.0GPA)?

Yes, attend this fall. You'll likely be able to renew.
19%
No, do something else.
52%
No opinion / Was gonna say retake
29%

Total votes: 42

Platinum

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 am

nah i don't think he's stem

also, is penn known for grade inflation?

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21 am

schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:lol yeah i think he's probably trolling too

but this has been a fun distraction from the memo i'm trying to avoid writing
i only just read all the way through the OP. this guy has a 3.87 in a STEM major from an ivy league school?!
Not stem.

It's a b.a. In social science

I'm mad at op for assuming I'm a jerk so I'm not letting him in my stem cool kids club

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:23 am

oh shit i didn't know you were stem leigh

you gonna do ip

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am

Brut wrote:oh shit i didn't know you were stem leigh

you gonna do ip
Yeeeeaaa!

Things are looking good despite me going to a T2, which is what irked me about op's response to me, but oh well

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 am

Brut wrote:nah i don't think he's stem

Nah, Penn deflates relative to the other ivies.

StarDust89

New

Post by StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:29 am

schmelling wrote:
Brut wrote:lol yeah i think he's probably trolling too

but this has been a fun distraction from the memo i'm trying to avoid writing
i only just read all the way through the OP. this guy has a 3.87 in a STEM major from an ivy league school?!
Yeah... this... this here is exactly why I can't really put so much stock and credibility into what I read here. Because when I read things like this, it's obvious you haven't read my post and are simply posting as an entrenched dogmatic person who simply wants to spew the same tired responses seen throughout this forum. Not sure what your agenda is, but it looks quite silly.

Where exactly did I say I was a STEM major? Why in the world would a STEM major with a 3.87 have trouble finding employment? Just that question alone should have made you stop and think. No, my friend, I am no STEM major; I just have a bachelor of arts, unfortunately.

You've been responding to me all this time but you "only just read all the way through the OP"? And didn't even manage to do it correctly, apparently.
This is becoming a waste of time.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 am

Ivy pedigree and you can't do anything better with your life than going to a TTT for sticker??? There must be something else going on here.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 am

RZ5646 wrote:Ivy pedigree and you can't do anything better with your life than going to a TTT for sticker??? There must be something else going on here.
Ok now you guys are just trying to run him out

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:34 am

leigh912198972 wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:Ivy pedigree and you can't do anything better with your life than going to a TTT for sticker??? There must be something else going on here.
Ok now you guys are just trying to run him out
Nah I'm genuinely curious what the deal is when this dude has a 3.87 from UPenn and apparently can't find a decent job. Thousands would kill for the opportunities he should have.

gamerish

Gold

Post removed...

Post by gamerish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:35 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 am, edited 6 times in total.

schmelling

Silver

Post removed.

Post by schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:38 am

StarDust89 wrote:Schmelling, fair enough, appreciate your input! But would this mean that the numbers on LST are inaccurate? Or maybe I'm not interpreting them correctly? LST reports that 70% of 2013 graduates were employed and that unemployment was only 15%. How to make sense of these figures fairly? By the way, I am not blindly supporting UNH here. Heck I'm not even from NH! My main interest is my future wellbeing. But I do want to understand how you come to your judgment.
The issue is what jobs those numbers represent. They are primarily going to be small to midlaw jobs or local government jobs in NH and maybe one of the surrounding or nearby states. 19% of those employed are in "business," some of which are labeled "JD preferred," but it's a broad category and could include a lot of jobs you don't need a JD to get. 20% of those employed are in firms of 2-10 lawyers, which are very small firms that won't pay much (or have anything to do with what DOS does). Only 4.7% are in firms of 501+ lawyers, which many here use as the cutoff for biglaw. Even if you consider 100+ to be biglaw, that's only 7% more of employed grads. So while the numbers overall may not be terrible, it depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want to stay in NH and work for a small firm or local government, then it could be a good option. If you know that you don't want to do that, it's not a great option. Not because no one ever does anything else, but because you can't count on being one of the few who does something else - you don't know how those people positioned themselves for their jobs, what pre-LS experience they had, what connections they had, etc. And you don't know how well you'll do once in school.

In the end you're the one who has to decide what risk is acceptable to you. The thing is, you've already pointed out that DOS isn't an easy job to get. If the school you attend doesn't matter, then that's fine, but the problem is that if you don't get that job, then you're looking at the small jobs in NH. At other schools, if you don't get the unicorn job you want, you have better remaining options, that will make it easier to move into something else in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StarDust89

New

Post by StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:40 am

Well I'm out, guys. It is late and I've spent way too much time on here today.
Despite my qualms with some of you, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to me, whatever your agenda may be.
I'm not sure if you can see the results of the poll but, in the interest of full disclosure, they showed the following results.

Yes = 0 people
No = 14 people
No Opinion = 4 people

For what it's worth, your opinions have influenced my decision, but not really for the right reasons.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Brut wrote:nah i don't think he's stem

Nah, Penn deflates relative to the other ivies.
hmm

well i guess that just goes to show you that grades don't always correlate with intelligence

@nony

yes, the "business label" is such bullshit
it's basically any gig where you need some professional training
and it includes exactly the kind of employment op is currently turning down
in fact, a friend of mine went back to the job she had before law school b/c she could not find legal employment
and how was she categorized in the 509? "business"

they really need to break that down into sub-categories

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:42 am

StarDust89 wrote:Well I'm out, guys. It is late and I've spent way too much time on here today.
Despite my qualms with some of you, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to me, whatever your agenda may be.
I'm not sure if you can see the results of the poll but, in the interest of full disclosure, they showed the following results.

Yes = 0 people
No = 14 people
No Opinion = 4 people

For what it's worth, your opinions have influenced my decision, but not really for the right reasons.
If you ever wanna talk about how regional schools affect peoples's goals and opportunities, PM me.
Good luck

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 am

yeah op feel free to pm me too
i feel like we really became good friends in the course of this thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:45 am

Brut wrote:yeah op feel free to pm me too
Brut I've loled a lot tonight bc of you so thx

StarDust89

New

Post by StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:Schmelling, fair enough, appreciate your input! But would this mean that the numbers on LST are inaccurate? Or maybe I'm not interpreting them correctly? LST reports that 70% of 2013 graduates were employed and that unemployment was only 15%. How to make sense of these figures fairly? By the way, I am not blindly supporting UNH here. Heck I'm not even from NH! My main interest is my future wellbeing. But I do want to understand how you come to your judgment.
The issue is what jobs those numbers represent. They are primarily going to be small to midlaw jobs or local government jobs in NH and maybe one of the surrounding or nearby states. 19% of those employed are in "business," some of which are labeled "JD preferred," but it's a broad category and could include a lot of jobs you don't need a JD to get. 20% of those employed are in firms of 2-10 lawyers, which are very small firms that won't pay much (or have anything to do with what DOS does). Only 4.7% are in firms of 501+ lawyers, which many here use as the cutoff for biglaw. Even if you consider 100+ to be biglaw, that's only 7% more of employed grads. So while the numbers overall may not be terrible, it depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want to stay in NH and work for a small firm or local government, then it could be a good option. If you know that you don't want to do that, it's not a great option. Not because no one ever does anything else, but because you can't count on being one of the few who does something else - you don't know how those people positioned themselves for their jobs, what pre-LS experience they had, what connections they had, etc. And you don't know how well you'll do once in school.

In the end you're the one who has to decide what risk is acceptable to you. The thing is, you've already pointed out that DOS isn't an easy job to get. If the school you attend doesn't matter, then that's fine, but the problem is that if you don't get that job, then you're looking at the small jobs in NH. At other schools, if you don't get the unicorn job you want, you have better remaining options, that will make it easier to move into something else in the future.
Hi, where have you been?? It took five pages of discussion to finally get to a well-reasoned answer! Thank you! I'm definitely glad you posted this. It cleared a lot of confusion for me in terms of what I was asking in my original post. Very useful.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 am

LJL. Good luck on your memo.

StarDust89

New

Post by StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:48 am

Haha, hey I have nothing against you and I hope this doesn't offend in the slightest, but I sincerely hope that law school and law students are not all like you, brute. ;)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:52 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Haha, hey I have nothing against you and I hope this doesn't offend in the slightest, but I sincerely hope that law school and law students are not all like you.
ya don't you worry dude
where you're headed, there definitely won't be many law students like me

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:20 am

StarDust89 wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:follow your dreams op!

not really, but sorta
Hi, I know you're only trying to bother with your sarcasm, but I'd still like to know what you mean by it.
I clicked on your profile and it looks like you're LUC '17? If that is Loyola University Chicago, why do you think attending that law school would help you achieve your dreams while UNH wouldn't help get me closer to mine?
The difference is she probably wants to work in Chicago and that was her best option at the table. If you can retake, you should. If you want to work in NH with modest goals, are out of retakes, and badly want to be a lawyer, I don't see why you shouldn't go. It's just your original post gives us a lot of question marks about those elements...one of such is you don't see yourself working in NH.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:08 pm

How this thread got to five pages is beyond me. You don't want to live/work in New Hampshire. So don't go to law school at UNH.

Simple as that.

Zero99

New

Post by Zero99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Only go to UNH if you are prepared to drop out if you lose your scholarship and you would be okay working for a small firm in NH or Boston, or NH state or local gov. If this doesn't sound like something you would do, don't go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”