Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I attend UNH at Full-tuition (renewable after 1L with 3.0GPA)?

Yes, attend this fall. You'll likely be able to renew.
6
15%
No, do something else.
22
56%
No opinion / Was gonna say retake
11
28%
 
Total votes: 39

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 pm

There was a period in my life where I gave the LSAT my sincere best effort, read numerous books, took an online course by 7sage (which I absolutely recommend), and had a sustained study schedule for over half a year. My score before and after remained at 158. I just wanted to make that clear before I get blasted with "retake".

So I gave up and decided to look for work, not wanting to spend too much time out of work since my last job experience. I live in Philadelphia, have a bachelor of arts from UPenn in a social science, 3.87 gpa, but 4 months into the job process and 50 applications later, I've only had one interview. I did not get the job, obviously. Although recruiters do call me daily to do some obscure accounting work in jobs that would pay me 35k on a one year contract. My options are quite bleak as of now. Surely, I'm doing something wrong in my approach, but numerous trips to my career counselor to review everything, attempts to network through linkedin, and other approaches have been fruitless so far. I know that eventually I might hit something, but it will likely not be optimal.

Every month that goes by and I'm unemployed, I feel the noose getting tighter around my neck. The pressure to take the next step in life is high at an all time high at this point. I cannot afford to lose more time being unemployed. And I know that I will invariably need to pursue an advanced degree in the future, but I'm not cut out for MBA and I don't believe the Masters I am interested in (International Affairs) would leave me much better off in terms of employment opportunity and salary two years down the road.

So here I am with this letter that came from UNH today (seems they got my information from LSAC) offering me "full tuition ... renewable in your second and third years." Renewable means being able to maintain above a 3.0 GPA at the end of first and second years. I have no idea how difficult that is to do at UNH, where out of state tuition is around 40k before factoring other living expenses. I also am not super excited about the prospect of living in Concord NH for 3 years and I have no desire to work in the area afterwards.

Here are some statistics from LST after their latest survey at UNH.
There were 107 law students graduating UNH in 2013.
81% of them had full time jobs, but only 69% had legal jobs. 50% of those employed full-time had secured jobs by graduation.
15% remain unemployed.
Overall employment score was 69%.
Underemployment score was 17%.

About 70% went into the private sector. 11.5% of those in firms with 100+ lawyers. 34% in firms with less than 100 lawyers. (yes I'm also confused about the math here.)
About 17% went in the public sector.
About 19% in "business"
Half in each of these sectors reported their salaries.
Private sector mean salaries were $103,000.
Public sector mean salaries were $48,000.

Location information on 2013 UNH grads shows that
32% work in NH.
12% work in MA.
6% work in DC.
I'm not sure where the other 50% work.

Usually, when I look at numbers like these for almost every other endeavor I would pull the trigger, even more so given the sticky situation I am in now. But TLSers tend to have a different mindset so I would love some input. Thanks in advance.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:04 pm

depends on goals

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Brut wrote:depends on goals


From what I hear, I don't really aspire to work in Big Law. It's not the lifestyle nor type of work that I crave. I believe I would enjoy working more in government, say Department of State, given my international relations background.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 pm

gotcha

ok so you shouldn't go to UNH then

that's basically an impossible job to get

i only know one person there, and she went to h

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:17 pm

Brut wrote:gotcha

ok so you shouldn't go to UNH then

that's basically an impossible job to get

i only know one person there, and she went to h


Sorry, you know one person where? UNH?
I'm not familiar with the lingo her so i dont know what "h" means.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 pm

at state

she went to harvard

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 pm

From the sounds of it you shouldn't really consider this unless you would be happy in New Hampshire for the foreseeable future. State Flagships can be easily defensible with low costs and a desire to be in that area, but you already said you think being in Concord, NH would be rough.

Don't ignore the grade requirement either, depending on the school a 3.0 may be east to hit or it may be more of a crapshoot. Its always best to get scholarships that only require good standing.

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 pm

Brut wrote:at state

she went to harvard


So wait, I have to nitpick this a little bit. Are you saying that working for State is impossible after graduating UNH because you only know one person that's done it and this person went to Harvard? Just trying to understand your train of thought here... I don't think that's a very good reason to give. But if there's something more substantial behind your opinion, I'd like to hear it!

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:From the sounds of it you shouldn't really consider this unless you would be happy in New Hampshire for the foreseeable future. State Flagships can be easily defensible with low costs and a desire to be in that area, but you already said you think being in Concord, NH would be rough.

Don't ignore the grade requirement either, depending on the school a 3.0 may be east to hit or it may be more of a crapshoot. Its always best to get scholarships that only require good standing.


Thanks for the help! Do you think that if I negotiate terms to require only good standing, this would be a defensible decision despite me not wanting to be in Concord, NH after graduation?

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 pm

StarDust89 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:From the sounds of it you shouldn't really consider this unless you would be happy in New Hampshire for the foreseeable future. State Flagships can be easily defensible with low costs and a desire to be in that area, but you already said you think being in Concord, NH would be rough.

Don't ignore the grade requirement either, depending on the school a 3.0 may be east to hit or it may be more of a crapshoot. Its always best to get scholarships that only require good standing.


Thanks for the help! Do you think that if I negotiate terms to require only good standing, this would be a defensible decision despite me not wanting to be in Concord, NH after graduation?


No. You only go to a "regional" or state flagship if you want to be in that state/region. Get a full ride to New Mexico and you want to work in Albuquerque and its a great option. Get a full ride to New Mexico and you want to work in New York City, it would be a bad choice. Its all about matching your goals with the realistic opportunities a school offers.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 pm

I get that you're in a tough spot right now, but, honestly, getting a UNH law degree is going to decrease your employability. Biting the bullet on a field you're not crazy about for 35K a year is not the end of the world, and it's probably a better route than going to a middle-of-the-road law school in a region you don't want to be in. You're not going to be able to expect getting a job that pays more than like 60K out of UNH (mean salaries are extremely misleading), and as a young Penn grad, you're going to be making more than that by the time you would graduate LS if you pick a field and grow in it for a few years.

I get that you probably find law more interesting than your current options, and money isn't everything, but I'd at least try out a job for a few years first. Law schools at this range will always be available to you with that GPA, and, honestly, it's not crazy to think that LS admissions are going to become a legitimately more holistic process in the next half decade. A dude with your UG pedigree shouldn't settle here.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 pm

StarDust89 wrote:
Brut wrote:at state

she went to harvard


So wait, I have to nitpick this a little bit. Are you saying that working for State is impossible after graduating UNH because you only know one person that's done it and this person went to Harvard? Just trying to understand your train of thought here... I don't think that's a very good reason to give. But if there's something more substantial behind your opinion, I'd like to hear it!

no

i stated that it's an impossible job to get as a fact, not as an argument i was supporting with an anecdote
the fact that state is virtually impossible to get is widely known, and you can find ample support for that with even the slightest amount of research
i assumed you had some awareness of that because you said it's your goal, but apparently not

i then followed this fact up with a personal anecdote, because that's something that people often do when conveying information

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Department of state is simply not going to happen from UNH law. There is no way. Go work on the hill now as a not lawyer?

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:53 pm

Brut wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:
Brut wrote:at state

she went to harvard


So wait, I have to nitpick this a little bit. Are you saying that working for State is impossible after graduating UNH because you only know one person that's done it and this person went to Harvard? Just trying to understand your train of thought here... I don't think that's a very good reason to give. But if there's something more substantial behind your opinion, I'd like to hear it!

no

i stated that it's an impossible job to get as a fact, not as an argument i was supporting with an anecdote
the fact that state is virtually impossible to get is widely known, and you can find ample support for that with even the slightest amount of research
i assumed you had some awareness of that because you said it's your goal, but apparently not

i then followed this fact up with a personal anecdote, because that's something that people often do when conveying information


Well I think you assumed I would work there as a lawyer, and not say, as a Foreign Service Officer, which would also require an advanced degree, the law degree being the most popular for the profession. I have no information about working in their law department, but it's not the only job at DOS that requires a JD. A program analyst, for example, is another position at DOS that requires an advanced degree, such as a JD. Multiple descriptions at USA Jobs confirm this. I'm surprised to hear how opinionated you are given all these assumptions. Thanks for explaining what anecdote means.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ramius » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 pm

StarDust89 wrote:
Brut wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:
Brut wrote:at state

she went to harvard


So wait, I have to nitpick this a little bit. Are you saying that working for State is impossible after graduating UNH because you only know one person that's done it and this person went to Harvard? Just trying to understand your train of thought here... I don't think that's a very good reason to give. But if there's something more substantial behind your opinion, I'd like to hear it!

no

i stated that it's an impossible job to get as a fact, not as an argument i was supporting with an anecdote
the fact that state is virtually impossible to get is widely known, and you can find ample support for that with even the slightest amount of research
i assumed you had some awareness of that because you said it's your goal, but apparently not

i then followed this fact up with a personal anecdote, because that's something that people often do when conveying information


Well I think you assumed I would work there as a lawyer, and not say, as a Foreign Service Officer, which would also require an advanced degree, the law degree being the most popular for the profession. I have no information about working in their law department, but it's not the only job at DOS that requires a JD. A program analyst, for example, is another position at DOS that requires an advanced degree, such as a JD. Multiple descriptions at USA Jobs confirm this. I'm surprised to hear how opinionated you are given all these assumptions. Thanks for explaining what anecdote means.


You're right, going after State jobs that aren't limited by requiring a JD are way more attainable than those pesky jobs that require you have a JD. Your JD from UNH will undoubtedly separate you from the PhDs applying for the exact same job not needing your illustrious JD.

You're missing Brut's point in a massively impressive way.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby chuckbass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:00 am

If you go to UNH, you're basically throwing away the value of your Penn degree

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:04 am

Oh I didn't realize OP was a douche. Good luck! Follow your dreams.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 am

StarDust89 wrote:Well I think you assumed I would work there as a lawyer, and not say, as a Foreign Service Officer, which would also require an advanced degree, the law degree being the most popular for the profession.


http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process-printable wrote:Please note that we require no specific education level, academic major, or proficiency in a foreign language for appointment as a Foreign Service Officer.


i can tell you've really done your homework
nothing can get past your thorough research and laser-like analysis

ChuckHouston
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby ChuckHouston » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:21 am

Very strange flame.

StarDust89
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby StarDust89 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 am

Brut wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:Well I think you assumed I would work there as a lawyer, and not say, as a Foreign Service Officer, which would also require an advanced degree, the law degree being the most popular for the profession.


http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process-printable wrote:Please note that we require no specific education level, academic major, or proficiency in a foreign language for appointment as a Foreign Service Officer.


i can tell you've really done your homework
nothing can get past your thorough research and laser-like analysis


Have done the research. 25000 people apply FSO every year with with less than 2% entering. The chances of being accepted without an advance degree are slim to none. Since this is a little out of left field for you, maybe I can give a more familiar comparison. You may not be required to have a 165+ LSAT to get into Yale, but you are very strongly advised to get above that score if you hope to attend. Talk about laser-like analysis. I can read too, you know, but I choose not to believe everything I read.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby chuckbass » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:33 am

Then get a different graduate degree that would actually be useful for the positions you're looking for

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:39 am

StarDust89 wrote:
Brut wrote:
StarDust89 wrote:Well I think you assumed I would work there as a lawyer, and not say, as a Foreign Service Officer, which would also require an advanced degree, the law degree being the most popular for the profession.


http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process-printable wrote:Please note that we require no specific education level, academic major, or proficiency in a foreign language for appointment as a Foreign Service Officer.


i can tell you've really done your homework
nothing can get past your thorough research and laser-like analysis


Have done the research. 25000 people apply FSO every year with with less than 2% entering. The chances of being accepted without an advance degree are slim to none. Since this is a little out of left field for you, maybe I can give a more familiar comparison. You may not be required to have a 165+ LSAT to get into Yale, but you are very strongly advised to get above that score if you hope to attend. Talk about laser-like analysis. I can read too, you know, but I choose not to believe everything I read.



Doesn't believe statistics. Should end well.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby 03152016 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:40 am

retard wrote:Have done the research. 25000 people apply FSO every year with with less than 2% entering. The chances of being accepted without an advance degree are slim to none. Since this is a little out of left field for you, maybe I can give a more familiar comparison. You may not be required to have a 165+ LSAT to get into Yale, but you are very strongly advised to get above that score if you hope to attend. Talk about laser-like analysis. I can read too, you know, but I choose not to believe everything I read.

lol what are you talking about you retard

how does it help your case that 2% of FSO applicants enter?

do you not understand that your stat strongly corroborates my overall argument

no offense, but this is getting embarrassing
if you're really having this much trouble understanding such simple concepts, you're not going to last one day in law school

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Full tuition at UNH (rank 93)?

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am

Brut wrote:
retard wrote:Have done the research. 25000 people apply FSO every year with with less than 2% entering. The chances of being accepted without an advance degree are slim to none. Since this is a little out of left field for you, maybe I can give a more familiar comparison. You may not be required to have a 165+ LSAT to get into Yale, but you are very strongly advised to get above that score if you hope to attend. Talk about laser-like analysis. I can read too, you know, but I choose not to believe everything I read.

lol what are you talking about you retard

how does it help your case that 2% of FSO applicants enter?

do you not understand that your stat strongly corroborates my overall argument

no offense, but this is getting embarrassing
if you're really having this much trouble understanding such simple concepts, you're not going to last one day in law school


Image




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], hwwong and 3 guests