UH v UIUC v UCI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:58 am

UIUC
16
73%
UH
1
5%
UCI
5
23%
 
Total votes: 22

parisian
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:45 pm

UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby parisian » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:58 am

Hi guys,

Currently I'm deciding btw the offers of:

-UIUC with COA $81k
-UH $90k
-UCI $153k

I am interested in Biglaw and wouldn't mind the location; I know these options aren't ideal but I won't retake. Any insights would be truly appreciated. UCI seems to send 1/3 of their class to clerkship/biglaw, which is like the highest of these 3. UIUC with their placement, COA and relative ranking of the 3 seems to be the best deal but I am a bit concerned about the cold weather.

Many thanks!
Last edited by parisian on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby KMart » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 am

You say you don't mind location but then complain about Chicago's cold. Find where you want to work and choose that school (I'd choose U of I).

allamerican73
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby allamerican73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:38 am

Not voting because you are going about this decision backwards...you need to figure out where you want to live and then proceed accordingly. These are three Regional schools and you need to (conservatively) assume that you will graduate in the middle of the class. In addition, frankly, I'm not even sure what "UH" is...Houston? If so, probably not portable outside of the Houston Metro area.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby thebobs1987 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:50 am

Yeah, first decide where you would be happy practicing law. Then you say you're interested in big law, but UIUC is the best of them and still only 1/4 of students there get it. Would you be content making more like 60k? If not, retake. If you are ok, then probably UIUC

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51 am

None are good options for true big law. Also, did you just throw darts at a map when you decided to apply?

If you are willing to be more flexible in your goals, UIUC is your best option. You could get big law from UIUC, but be prepared to be okay doing something else.

Sounds like you know retaking is the best option but refuse to do it.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11946
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am

Of these three, UIUC.
However, you need to be fine with more modest outcomes. Biglaw is possible from UIUC, but certainly not probable. If you're truly biglaw or bust, then you need to retake.

User avatar
Dr. Nefario
Posts: 2364
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Dr. Nefario » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:02 pm

UH isn't work 80K unless you're from Texas. Even if you are from Texas, UT grads and T14 scoop up most of the Houston/Austin/San Antonio BigLaw jobs from my understanding. UIUC at least gives you a 1/4 shot at BigLaw if you can work your butt off. It would really help to know your full stats: career goals outside of BigLaw since none of these are extremely likely to land you there, how you will be financing these bills, your LSAT w/ number of takes, and your GPA.

But if you are completely unwilling to take, without any more information UIUC would probably be the best option.

ETA: just know there seem to be a LARGE portion of kids who go to UIUC hoping to gun for Chicago BigLaw so you'll probably be flooded with competition.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:52 pm

you need to decide which markets you're targeting before you set out schools like this. you also need a backup career plan if you land outside top 20% and biglaw isn't possible for you.

regardless, UCI at $150K+ should be eliminated from consideration

Okie25
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Okie25 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 pm

If cold weather is an issue, go to Houston.

Gotta retake for big law though.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:21 pm

parisian wrote:I am interested in Biglaw [...] but I won't retake.


I'm digging this new breed of LSAT-belligerence. Last cycle was "I can't retake for personal reasons which I can't tell you about" and the cycle before was "I can't retake because I can't afford to take time off after undergrad." It's nice to not have to play games.

thebobs1987
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby thebobs1987 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:you need to decide which markets you're targeting before you set out schools like this. you also need a backup career plan if you land outside top 20% and biglaw isn't possible for you.

regardless, UCI at $150K+ should be eliminated from consideration


Yes, definitely ignore the people picking UCI on the poll. You would likely be committing financial suicide going there at that COA

User avatar
Pumpkin-Duke of Pie
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:you need to decide which markets you're targeting before you set out schools like this. you also need a backup career plan if you land outside top 20% and biglaw isn't possible for you.

regardless, UCI at $150K+ should be eliminated from consideration


And if you do have a backup career plan and can't get more money from either school (aside from COA), maybe just do that instead. You'll probably be happier in the long run.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:42 pm

parisian wrote:I am interested in Biglaw and wouldn't mind the location; I know these options aren't ideal but I won't retake.

lol

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby The Dark Shepard » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 pm

Well if you refuse to make the best decision, the best advice I can give is to minimize your debt and go to either UH or UIUC. I'd say UIUC is a "better" bet. But you might hate Illinois the state.

Wingtip88
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Wingtip88 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:54 am

Do your prospective debt calculations include the interest that will build upon your loans while you are in school? Just curious.

Chicago (where I'm from) got 82 inches of snow last year. I personally put a few thousand dollars of repairs into my car thanks to our ignominious potholes and an unfortunate incident involving an icy street and a roadway median. Granted, last winter was an exceptional one and nobody was happy with it. But still, If cold ain't your thing, don't plan on a life in Chicago.

Finally, you said
parisian wrote:I am interested in Biglaw and wouldn't mind the location; I know these options aren't ideal but I won't retake.


So you are "interested" in earning $160,000 a year, but would otherwise settle for $40-60,000 a year on the 2/3 chance Biglaw doesn't work out? Have you researched the different kinds of work lawyers do at different kinds of firms (and at different ends of the earning spectrum?)

You don't appear to have researched law school well enough to make a truly informed decision at this point. No offense.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:03 am

twenty wrote:
parisian wrote:I am interested in Biglaw [...] but I won't retake.


I'm digging this new breed of LSAT-belligerence. Last cycle was "I can't retake for personal reasons which I can't tell you about" and the cycle before was "I can't retake because I can't afford to take time off after undergrad." It's nice to not have to play games.


lol

User avatar
Chevron Deference
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 am

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby Chevron Deference » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 am

UIUC

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2208
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby jingosaur » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:46 am

Paul Campos wrote:Why do people post these threads? (Not a rhetorical question). It's like someone walking into an AA meeting and asking whether he should drink a fifth of vodka or gin.

Don't tell me to stay sober because I've already decided to get wasted tonight. Also I'll be driving.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:56 am

jingosaur wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:Why do people post these threads? (Not a rhetorical question). It's like someone walking into an AA meeting and asking whether he should drink a fifth of vodka or gin.

Don't tell me to stay sober because I've already decided to get wasted tonight. Also I'll be driving.


why would you quote a hypocritical boomer who couldnt hack it as a lawyer as a way to prove youre right?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UH v UIUC v UCI

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:44 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:Why do people post these threads? (Not a rhetorical question). It's like someone walking into an AA meeting and asking whether he should drink a fifth of vodka or gin.

Don't tell me to stay sober because I've already decided to get wasted tonight. Also I'll be driving.


why would you quote a hypocritical boomer who couldnt hack it as a lawyer as a way to prove youre right?


considering it's way more difficult to become a tenured law professor than "a lawyer" in the pastoralizing sense you're referring to, the "couldn't hack it" argument lacks a lot of force. Most practicing attorneys would love to be law profs.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pozzo and 2 guests