ww

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lawballz19

ww

Postby Lawballz19 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:33 am

nm
Last edited by Lawballz19 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Re: Mercer Law vs Emory Law

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 am

You're almost certainly not going to get a big firm Atlanta job from Mercer. There's also a 40% chance you'll never get a job from Mercer.

But Emory at sticker is suicidal.

Change your goals, find another career path, or retake.

Lawballz19

ww

Postby Lawballz19 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 am

nm
Last edited by Lawballz19 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

universityof

Postby universityof » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am

Did you apply to UGA? (Especially if you're in-state) It's a way cheaper path to Atlanta than Emory

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Lawballz19 wrote:Bonus question: How well does Emory place into Atlanta biglaw (or private sector in general) compared to UGA?

Search around this or the Legal Employment threads. Some posters familiar with the GA market have posted about the differences between Emory and GA recently. Short answer seems to be that Georgia is just as good an option, and much cheaper, if you want a prestigious job in Georgia (Emory has better reach up in Yankee land).

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Neither, but certainly not Emory. Taking on that much debt is crazy.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:53 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Lawballz19 wrote:Bonus question: How well does Emory place into Atlanta biglaw (or private sector in general) compared to UGA?

Emory - 25.7% BL + FC score
UGA - 18.4% BL + FC score

UGA has an unbelievably high federal clerkship %. For the last few years it's been consistently above 7%.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 pm

UGA has to be the right answer for you. I guess I could see Mercer for free if you were just joining up with the family firm in Macon. Stay far far away from Emory. My SO is a practicing BigLaw attorney in Atlanta (UGA grad), and I've met several Emory grads though her doing doc review or trying to make a way in some non-legal non-profit while servicing sticker loans.

Suicide is no exaggeration.

Lawballz19

mmm

Postby Lawballz19 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:01 pm

nm
Last edited by Lawballz19 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:06 pm

If you're eligible for in-state tuition, then Georgia is easily the better choice.

Emory may have better biglaw placement, but that may be partially due to the fact that many UGa students want to return to their Georgia hometowns while many Emory students from the Northeast only seek big city employment.

P.S. Avoid Mercer unless on full tuition scholarship & headed for the family law firm.

transferror

Postby transferror » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 pm

You're obviously in state, so there's no way for UGA (20k tuition + fees) and Emory (50k) to be the same COA, even if you have family in ATL. Going to UGA at the in-state rate is basically the same as getting a 30k/year scholarship to Emory, plus COL in Athens is cheaper than ATL.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:09 pm

If both UGa & Emory cost the same, then visit both & decide since the schools' cultures are quite different & job placement opportunities are similiar.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Neither of these two options are worth it.

UGA wouldn't be a bad option but ideally you should retake and reapply.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Lawballz19 wrote:which school would be a better choice for biglaw

Come on, bro. I already answered this very clearly above with the stats.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Lawballz19 wrote:Biglaw would be amazing, but my main goal is to do business litigation or corporate law.

"Biglaw would be amazing, but my main goal is biglaw."

You truly need to retake. If your stats are below median, what makes you think you're going to be in the top 25% at Emory to even stand a chance at landing a desirable outcome?
Atlanta is such a (relatively) small biglaw market that it's hard to land even coming from Duke or UVA. You need to be okay with much more modest outcomes than Atlanta biglaw.

Why aren't UGA or Georgia State on the table? It's weird for your choices to either be T20 at sticker or a straight up TTT.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Dirigo wrote:"Biglaw would be amazing, but my main goal is biglaw."

which is why OP needs to really educate himself/herself on the realities of the legal profession before any decisions are made. Mercer at that price is actually not a terrible decision if you weren't trying to get biglaw. First thing OP should do is see if biglaw is what they really want to get into

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:08 am

Young Marino wrote:

which is why OP needs to really educate himself/herself on the realities of the legal profession before any decisions are made. Mercer at that price is actually not a terrible decision if you weren't trying to get biglaw. First thing OP should do is see if biglaw is what they really want to get into

Right I don't know why anyone would want to be a corporate slave

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Young Marino wrote:

Right I don't know why anyone would want to be a corporate slave

You just have to ask yourself how much selling your life is worth in terns of a dollar amount.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 am

Lawballz19 wrote:Thanks for the responses! Hypothetically, If UGA and Emory were the same COA for me, which school would be a better choice for biglaw and specifically corporate law or business litigation? Also, if anyone has more comparative information about the two schools, I would love to hear it.

I can't imagine how they would have the same CoA. I know several people at UGA who say that it has great placement in Atlanta, and I can say as a fact that it has better placement everywhere else in Georgia hands down. I'm from Georgia and every lawyer I know either went to UGA or wish they had, including those from Emory. Also, don't attend Mercer unless you are happy working in non-Atlanta Georgia.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

atlanta is one of the hardest markets to crack.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm

cc78 wrote:UGA has to be the right answer for you. I guess I could see Mercer for free if you were just joining up with the family firm in Macon. Stay far far away from Emory. My SO is a practicing BigLaw attorney in Atlanta (UGA grad), and I've met several Emory grads though her doing doc review or trying to make a way in some non-legal non-profit while servicing sticker loans.

Suicide is no exaggeration.

Eh, I think doc review is a possibility at either Emory or UGA. Your SO probably did much better at UGA than the Emory people did at Emory. Top 10% at either is probably about the same possibility for big law. I really don't see that much difference between the two schools, except that at Emory you can extern in Atlanta during the year (and UGA might have more alums in Atlanta). If the cost is the same, I would pick (and did pick) Emory. If my SO wasn't in Atlanta though, I may have chosen UGA. I really don't think you can go wrong at either if you aren't paying a lot (besides the whole terrible economy thing). You just have to realize that doing poorly at either school is bad news.

In response to OP, DO NOT take Emory at full price. Absolutely not worth it. I don't think I can overstate how bad that would be. And don't take Mercer if you want biglaw.

I would retake and go to UGA or Emory. Or since it doesn't seem like you need to stay Atlanta during school, try for duke/vandy/uva.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:40 pm

I went to Mercer on scholarship over schools ranked/priced similar to Emory. Graduated about 5 years ago. Happy to answer questions. I agree an applicant's best option is almost always to retake. That being said, I think Mercer at $30K is better than Emory at $150K. You're paying 1/5th the cost and getting better than 1/5th chance for the "good" employment outcomes. Emory's overall employment score is artificially inflated by the fact that it hires 20% of its own graduates for (very likely) short-term, low-paying jobs. When I was in law school, you would have needed about top 15-20% grades to get interviews for Atlanta biglaw from Mercer, unless you are diverse or have IP background. I assume you would need similar grades now. You obviously can't expect biglaw going in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”