NYU vs. Cornell vs. UVA vs. UT vs. Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

NYU (sticker)
12%
Cornell (sticker)
4%
UT ($36,352 scholarship)
8%
UVA ($30,000 scholarship)
75%
Emory ($30,000 scholarship)
1%

Total votes: 75

Rigo

Re: NYU vs. Cornell vs. UVA vs. UT vs. Emory

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Cilia wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Tell all the schools, but particularly UT, about the UVA scholly and ask if they are able to offer additional money.

Yeah..I'm just wondering if I should do this now or wait til I know what the financial packages will be for sure. I don't want them to think I'm overzealous or something

It's a buyer's market. Schools want you. Don't be a timid pushover.

UVA is the obvious choice as is, but I expect Cornell to come in with a very strong offer. It could very likely be better than UVA's.

UT just doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the other stronger options (and eventual options) on the table.

Cross Emory off. That option shouldn't even be entertained.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 pm

I wouldn't start negotiating until mid March at the earliest

Are you from TX? If you aren't then that's an easy way to eliminate them from contention. Even if you are from TX UVA is easily worth 30K more if you just want to do the big law drone thing.

Emory is donezo unless they randomly give you a Woody. Arguably even then they are donezo.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:25 pm

Zuck I'm sure there are adcomms at schools other than Emory who would give OP a woody

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:42 am

BigZuck wrote:I wouldn't start negotiating until mid March at the earliest

Are you from TX? If you aren't then that's an easy way to eliminate them from contention. Even if you are from TX UVA is easily worth 30K more if you just want to do the big law drone thing.

Emory is donezo unless they randomly give you a Woody. Arguably even then they are donezo.

not from texas. but at the event I went to there were a lot of dc alums and the dean talked a lot about their reach in nyc. honestly though I'll probably end up trying to go back to new england (where I'm from originally). that's where I think I want to live after I get my jd. maybe I should send in my bu app and see if I can pull a nicer scholarship?

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 am

Dirigo wrote:
Cilia wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:Tell all the schools, but particularly UT, about the UVA scholly and ask if they are able to offer additional money.

Yeah..I'm just wondering if I should do this now or wait til I know what the financial packages will be for sure. I don't want them to think I'm overzealous or something

It's a buyer's market. Schools want you. Don't be a timid pushover.

UVA is the obvious choice as is, but I expect Cornell to come in with a very strong offer. It could very likely be better than UVA's.

UT just doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the other stronger options (and eventual options) on the table.

Cross Emory off. That option shouldn't even be entertained.

Yeah, if the offer doesn't change, I don't think I can justify going to emory. a cornell offer would be glorious. and there seems to be a consensus here that uva is worth the extra money over UT. just to clarify though, UT is less expensive than uva to begin with, so with the scholarship I would have significantly less debt. that's the main reason it's still an option for me

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 am

Cilia wrote: maybe I should send in my bu app and see if I can pull a nicer scholarship?

If you want biglaw as an option, 90k from Virginia probably beats a full-ride from BU.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Rankings don't matter; job placement does matter.

am I wrong to assume there's a direct correlation..?

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 am

hairbear7 wrote:
Cilia wrote: maybe I should send in my bu app and see if I can pull a nicer scholarship?

If you want biglaw as an option, 90k from Virginia probably beats a full-ride from BU.

Really? wow. I would have a difficult time turning down a full ride from any reputable school, if I could do it at all honestly. the idea of hundreds of thousands in debt terrifies me.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Cilia wrote:
hairbear7 wrote:

Really? wow. I would have a difficult time turning down a full ride from any reputable school, if I could do it at all honestly. the idea of hundreds of thousands in debt terrifies me.

I mean it depends on the individual. You just have to assess your willingness to take on debt and calculate how much you want to pay for a better chance at your career goals. UVA places 50% of its grads into big law and 13% into clerkships while BU is 24% and 2.5%

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:01 pm

Cilia wrote:
hairbear7 wrote:

But see that's the thing about 90k scholarships...

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:07 pm

hairbear7 wrote:

100%.
I see no reason to apply to BU unless you couldn't bare to live anywhere else in the country other than Boston. Even then, Cornell/NYU/UVA would be better if you have Boston ties.

OP, you have great options here and at the end of the cycle, I have no doubt your options will be even more amazing. Wait for the rest of the T13 to come back to you with scholarships. I'd say it's pretty likely you'll be able to negotiate a T13 up to a full ride if you aren't offered a fully initially (I bet Cornell will shell out for you).

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:51 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Go to whichever school ends up being the cheapest between UVA, NYU, and Cornell unless they all end up being relatively close in price. If that ends up happening and you want to work/live in NY go to one of NYU or Cornell. If you have no location preference and they end up costing the same I would lean NYU as I believe they have a better LRAP than the other two , their curve is structured better than UVA's, and it's better on the margins to give yourself more access to NYC firms sense there are more of them and they give a bigger boost to NYU.

Yeah..I'm thinking I want to work and live in New England but I want to have options.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Cilia wrote:

not from texas. but at the event I went to there were a lot of dc alums and the dean talked a lot about their reach in nyc. honestly though I'll probably end up trying to go back to new england (where I'm from originally). that's where I think I want to live after I get my jd. maybe I should send in my bu app and see if I can pull a nicer scholarship?

I go to UT. I like our Dean.

I still wouldn't make a habit of believing law dean sales pitches. We do much better in NYC than I expected. It's still not easy to get big law from UT and it is definitely tough to get it on the east coast.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:16 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Cilia wrote:
cron1834 wrote:If you're a straight admit at NYU, you're going to get some money from Cornell. That will likely be the best choice, but as others have said you need to wait for offers, negotiate, and then decide.

I guess I just never assumed cornell would give $ just because I got into NYU. that's interesting. I'll wait and see.

That assumption would be mistaken; I take it the suggestion is that there's a common cause here - if your numbers are good enough to get you into nyu, they should be good enough for decent $$ at cornell

Well my numbers are decent but not out of this world..I was a splitter. I think a combination of factors helped me get into these schools..I'm starting to think the admissions process is less "numbers-oriented" than some people say..but that's probably a discussion for another post. But I'll try to negotiate anyway in 1-2 months

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Cilia wrote:

I go to UT. I like our Dean.

I still wouldn't make a habit of believing law dean sales pitches. We do much better in NYC than I expected. It's still not easy to get big law from UT and it is definitely tough to get it on the east coast.

hmm..good to know. And I was more so convinced by the turn out from the alumni. on the other hand, a lot of them graduated when tuition was less than $1,000 per semester...

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Come back when the numbers are actually final. Right now it's UVA, and it's not even close. Of course, things will change. But just for fun, if UVA stays at 90k I would want these numbers for the other schools to jump into contention:

40 - 60k at NYU
100-120k at Cornell
120k+ at UT (preferably with a desire for Texas)

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:19 pm

while my numbers would differ, i agree with the notion that it's not as simple as "just go wherever is cheapest"

it's easy to give that advice, but there are a host of other relevant factors like placement, portability, lifestyle, etc that op should consider

but no need to drill down just yet, let's get some real numbers first

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:29 pm

Yeah what Brut said. Given OP's career and location preferences (post-grad), Cornell may make more sense than UVA.
It's all just conjecture at this point though.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:14 pm

Dog wrote:Come back when the numbers are actually final. Right now it's UVA, and it's not even close. Of course, things will change. But just for fun, if UVA stays at 90k I would want these numbers for the other schools to jump into contention:

40 - 60k at NYU
100-120k at Cornell

well with the in-state tuition they offered plus scholarship $, my ut offer is already at like $147k (total over 4 years). so I guess that makes it a contender already. I'm definitely gonna hold out for nyu and cornell though..hopefully their offer something somewhere in the ballpark you listed!

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Cilia wrote:well with the in-state tuition they offered plus scholarship $, my ut offer is already at like $147k (total over 4 years).

4 years? Am I missing something? Joint degree? Typo?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:25 pm

if you're trying to get to new england and want pi with the option of biglaw, i'm not super convinced ut is a great option

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Cilia wrote:
Dog wrote:Come back when the numbers are actually final. Right now it's UVA, and it's not even close. Of course, things will change. But just for fun, if UVA stays at 90k I would want these numbers for the other schools to jump into contention:

40 - 60k at NYU
100-120k at Cornell

well with the in-state tuition they offered plus scholarship $, my ut offer is already at like $147k (total over 4 years). so I guess that makes it a contender already. I'm definitely gonna hold out for nyu and cornell though..hopefully their offer something somewhere in the ballpark you listed!

UT is something like 80k cheaper total than UVA. If you were interested in Texas, I think that would easily be your best offer. However, it looks like you aren't. If you want to go back to the Northeast, obviously the schools there get a bigger bump. NYU probably gets an additional bump if you want PI.

Cilia

Postby Cilia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Cilia wrote:well with the in-state tuition they offered plus scholarship $, my ut offer is already at like $147k (total over 4 years).

no sorry, typo. 3 years. they offered in-state tuition (which I didn't know was a thing if you're not actually in-state, so that was cool) and then offered 20k per year in scholarship after that. so the offer is about 36k per year for 3 years, and about 147k in total.
Last edited by Cilia on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Cilia wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

no sorry, 3 years. they offered in-state tuition (which I didn't know was a thing if you're not actually in-state, so that was cool) and then offered 20k per year in scholarship after that. so the offer is about 36k per year for 3 years, and about 147k in total.

You're doing your math wrong.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:40 pm

I might just be dumb but I don't know how anyone can easily figure out how much each school costs considering the OP has not done or shared any debt calculations

Return to “Choosing a Law School”