Pepperdine (full) U of Arizona (full) or UCI (90k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rigo

Re: Pepperdine (full) U of Arizona (full) or UCI (90k)

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Yeah we're all assuming little to no debt because:
rtbrah wrote:My parents are gonna cover my cost of attendance and these 3 seem to have the similar COA numbers.

Did you really just mean COL (cost of living) rather than COA (cost of attendance)? Are they covering tuition and fees or just room and board?

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:12 am

My parents are gonna cover everything except tuition

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:21 am

I would do Pepperdine with the full ride provided you fit in with or at least can tolerate the very conservative atmosphere there. Most law schools lean left, and Pepperdine is definitely NOT one of them.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:55 am

Because of the unique nature of your deal with your parents, I think Pepperdine looks like right call, even if you get into UCLA or USC. The job prospects are much better at those schools, but your debt would be ~$150,000 compared to $0, correct?

Your worst case scenario at Pepperdine is being unable to find a legal job but being no worse off financially. Your worst case scenario at UCLA or USC is being unable to find a legal job (lower odds than at Pepperdine, but still a real possibility) and having soul crushing debt.

I guess this also depends on what your non-legal career prospects are currently. I often forget that factor when giving this sort of advice, because mine were nil.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:03 am

Pepper dine is not a good law school. retake.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 am

rtbrah wrote:My parents are gonna cover everything except tuition

HUGE difference between COL and COA. Still retake. LS admissions are ~99% LSAT and GPA, one of which is fixed (assumes graduation) the other variable. I wish I had your GPA, nothing I can do about it now; but there is something you can do about your LSAT.

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Thank you guys so much for your responses <3 I'm probably going to pepperdine because i dont feel like usc/ucla would be worth the cost. Lieut Kaffee you summed it up exactly, i feel like i dont have as much to lose by going to pepperdine and the legal market is just too unstable for me to sit out another year, raise my lsat by 2 or 4 points and still have to take out over 100k in loans for school. i dont think my parents would be willing to support me if i sit out another cycle, cause im in my mid 20s.
@ticklemesilly i've been reading about how conservative pepperdine is, but i think i can handle it :D

the only thing is, i feel as though going to U of Arizona would be a better outcome because not only does it have a lower cost of attendance, U of A is one of only 3 law schools, so from the outside looking in, it looks like arizona's legal market has less saturation and U of Arizona would be prestigious enough for the jobs available

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:52 pm

rtbrah wrote:the only thing is, i feel as though going to U of Arizona would be a better outcome because not only does it have a lower cost of attendance, U of A is one of only 3 law schools, so from the outside looking in, it looks like arizona's legal market has less saturation and U of Arizona would be prestigious enough for the jobs available

Arizona has far fewer jobs than Southern California. Not sure why COA matters given a full ride at both schools and parents covering costs.

Also, with 2-3 more points you'd get close to a full ride at USC. You can probably snag that if you retake in June.

cannonball89

Postby cannonball89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:if ur parents are paying you'd be an absolute moron to not retake for three more points and go to USC

Or better yet, why not just retake for 10 more points then go to Harvard? I mean, come on, if we are just going to sit here making things up, why not retake for 16 more points and get a perfect 180? Wouldn't it be worth delaying a year for THAT?

Seriously though, I can't be the only one tired of Volante and his nonsense. I can only imagine he posts so often because simply uttering the word retake gives him an erection.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:10 pm

cannonball89 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:if ur parents are paying you'd be an absolute moron to not retake for three more points and go to USC

Or better yet, why not just retake for 10 more points then go to Harvard? I mean, come on, if we are just going to sit here making things up, why not retake for 16 more points and get a perfect 180? Wouldn't it be worth delaying a year for THAT?
Seriously though, I can't be the only one tired of Volante and his nonsense. I can only imagine he posts so often because simply uttering the word retake gives him an erection.

Ron's advice is pretty solid. You're just dumb.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:11 pm

cannonball89 wrote:

he just doesn't like to see suckers shoot themselves in the foot because they are unwilling to retake a 4 hr test. you will find this sentiment to be shared by many around here. enjoy.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:15 pm

cannonball89 wrote:

Right...cause 3 points is the same as 10 which is the same as 16...

I too get tired of the constant retake mentality, but in this case it really seems like even the score variation/band from test to test could help him better fulfill his life goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”