Pepperdine (full) U of Arizona (full) or UCI (90k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rtbrah

Pepperdine (full) U of Arizona (full) or UCI (90k)

Postby rtbrah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 am

hey guys it looks like these three schools are gonna be my most likely options (still waiting on ucla/usc), and i need your help picking and understanding scholarship stipulations. My parents are gonna cover my cost of attendance and these 3 seem to have the similar COA numbers.

Pepperdine is gonna be a full ride and i have ties to los angeles, which is where i would hope to work. Im from orange county which brings UCI in to play. They've offered me 90k over 3 years, and im not sure if they're open to negotiation. I dont know their expected ranking so do you guys think i could leverage my other scholarships for more money? Finally I've been accepted to U of Arizona and ASU both with full rides, but U of A's scholarship stip says "good academic standing, as calculated at the end of each year of study". Then it says "all merit based scholarships were retained if the recipient remained in the top 90%"... so does this mean i just have to avoid being in the bottom 10 percent of the class in order to keep my scholarship? I'm comfortable with the idea of working and living in arizona because of how saturated the socal market is.

P.S i know about LST and the aba jobs data
Last edited by rtbrah on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

ticklemesilly

Re: Pepperdine (full) U of A (full) or UCI (90k)

Postby ticklemesilly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:52 am

rtbrah wrote:hey guys it looks like these three schools are gonna be my most likely options (still waiting on ucla/usc), and i need your help picking and understanding scholarship stipulations. My parents are gonna cover my cost of attendance and these 3 seem to have the similar COA numbers.

Pepperdine is gonna be a full ride and i have ties to los angeles, which is where i would hope to work. Im from orange county which brings UCI in to play. They've offered me 90k over 3 years, and im not sure if they're open to negotiation. I dont know their expected ranking so do you guys think i could leverage my other scholarships for more money? Finally I've been accepted to U of A and ASU both with full rides, but U of A's scholarship stip says "good academic standing, as calculated at the end of each year of study". Then it says "all merit based scholarships were retained if the recipient remained in the top 90%"... so does this mean i just have to avoid being in the bottom 10 percent of the class in order to keep my scholarship? I'm comfortable with the idea of working and living in arizona because of how saturated the socal market is.

I would wait on USC, then negotiate a large scholarship using University of Alabama's offer. They are ranked similarly so if you could squeeze a full ride out of USC that would be great (provided you want to stay in SoCal.)

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:54 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 am

ticklemesilly wrote:
rtbrah wrote:hey guys it looks like these three schools are gonna be my most likely options (still waiting on ucla/usc), and i need your help picking and understanding scholarship stipulations. My parents are gonna cover my cost of attendance and these 3 seem to have the similar COA numbers.

Pepperdine is gonna be a full ride and i have ties to los angeles, which is where i would hope to work. Im from orange county which brings UCI in to play. They've offered me 90k over 3 years, and im not sure if they're open to negotiation. I dont know their expected ranking so do you guys think i could leverage my other scholarships for more money? Finally I've been accepted to U of A and ASU both with full rides, but U of A's scholarship stip says "good academic standing, as calculated at the end of each year of study". Then it says "all merit based scholarships were retained if the recipient remained in the top 90%"... so does this mean i just have to avoid being in the bottom 10 percent of the class in order to keep my scholarship? I'm comfortable with the idea of working and living in arizona because of how saturated the socal market is.

I would wait on USC, then negotiate a large scholarship using University of Alabama's offer. They are ranked similarly so if you could squeeze a full ride out of USC that would be great (provided you want to stay in SoCal.)

ahh u of A meant university of Arizona not alabama haha my bad

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 am

gamerish wrote:GPA, LSAT, URM status, career prospects, parent's budget for COA

3.8 164 non urm, parents will cover as much as needed

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:46 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 am, edited 6 times in total.

DaRascal

Re: Pepperdine (full) U of Arizona (full) or UCI (90k)

Postby DaRascal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:51 am

Arizona for sure out of these options!

sesto elemento

Postby sesto elemento » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:57 am

gamerish wrote:Then you should study and retake for T14, especially with that GPA.

Yeah you definitely need to retake with gpa.

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 am

sesto elemento wrote:
gamerish wrote:Then you should study and retake for T14, especially with that GPA.

the thing is, i feel burnt out from studying for the lsat. i've taken it like 3 times and this is my second time applying, i have this feeling of wanting to move forward with life

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 am

DaRascal wrote:Arizona for sure out of these options!

i'm leaning towards arizona as of right now hahah i enjoy ur threads btw

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 am

I don't see the point in going to Arizona. There are way too many grads trying for that market, and you'll inevitably want to come back to CA and have a much tougher time doing so from either AZ school. I'd look to graduate as close to debt free as possible from either of Pepperdine or UCI.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 pm

DaRascal wrote:Arizona for sure out of these options!

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:32 pm

retake

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:retake

If your parents are willing to foot the bill no matter what, at least get yourself in at UCLA or USC; that'll probably require 2-3 more points on the LSAT (but you might get lucky, who knows)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:38 pm

Negotiate with Irvine.
That actually seems like the best option of the three since your parents are paying. Living at home (is that an option?) would save you a lot of money that couldn't be saved at the other two.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:40 pm

if ur parents are paying you'd be an absolute moron to not retake for three more points and go to USC

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:49 pm

You've taken it like 3 times? So you're out of retakes? That's going to change what people tell you here

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:09 pm

Big Red wrote:You've taken it like 3 times? So you're out of retakes? That's going to change what people tell you here

No it's not. Work and save money until you can retake again, is TCR.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
Big Red wrote:You've taken it like 3 times? So you're out of retakes? That's going to change what people tell you here

No it's not. Work and save money until you can retake again, is TCR.

I stand corrected

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:52 pm

rtbrah wrote:
sesto elemento wrote:

the thing is, i feel burnt out from studying for the lsat. i've taken it like 3 times and this is my second time applying, i have this feeling of wanting to move forward with life

What makes you think law school exams won't burn you out too then?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:14 pm

How did you prepare for each of the three LSAT sittings ? Did you achieve much improvement ?

Somewhat depends upon whether you prefer to live in Arizona or in California, but the best course of action is to work for a year while prepping for a fourth LSAT sitting if you feel that you can improve your top score of 164. Nevertheless, while improving your score should result in a couple of T-14 options, the issue might then become whether to take a full-tuition scholarship to a non-T-14 or to incur substantial debt at a lower T-14.

P.S. Law school location is important for several reasons. My remark above considered internships & externships during the school year which often lead to job offers.

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Dirigo wrote:Negotiate with Irvine.
That actually seems like the best option of the three since your parents are paying. Living at home (is that an option?) would save you a lot of money that couldn't be saved at the other two.

when would be a good time to start negotiating? irvine doesnt have a ranking so would pepperdine and U of Arizona's offers be good enough to ask for more money?

rtbrah

Postby rtbrah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:39 pm

gamerish wrote:

I'd tell him to get a job or something until another take opens up.

With 4 more points on his LSAT he's looking at:

Doing something else while studying for a year is worth the huge leap in employment prospects.

I think i've maxed out my lsat potential. I've looked at materials from powerscore including the bibles, took a kaplan class last cycle and a blueprint one before this cycle's sept 2014 test. im not sure theres much i can do, also wouldnt raising my score by like 2-3 points still leave me with a huge amount of debt at most t-14 schools? It seems like pepperdine and U of Arizona hold less risk in case i dont end up with a well paying legal job, whereas graduating from a t-14 school might leave me with soul crushing debt.

gamerish

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”