UChicago vs. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mal Reynolds

Re: UChicago vs. Columbia

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Canof09 wrote:
LawBron James wrote:So someone in the Columbia/NYU thread said something about Columbia not requiring professors to give B-'s, and someone said that this would actually be something worth considering.

From everything I've read about Chicago, they don't tend to be very lenient with grades (correct me if I'm wrong), so is this an actual, real factor that should be considered when choosing between these two schools?

At the end of the day though the employment numbers are so comparable so who really cares about that? I think it is pretty well documented that you are going to have an approximately equal opportunity to succeed at either school after graduation. Also our grading system is insane and from what I can tell nobody really understands what our (UChicago) grades mean anyway.

The people who matter understand.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:38 pm

realtalk:

does UChi even have a law revue show? what kind of scholarship do they put out?

this should be the only metric in choosing between law schools

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:45 pm

utahraptor wrote:realtalk:

Yes and it was great. It's called law school musical and i feel like that needs work.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
utahraptor wrote:realtalk:

Yes and it was great. It's called law school musical and i feel like that needs work.

More importantly, are you in it?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 pm

This thread is stupid. OP: If you feel like UChi is more prestigious than CLS, and if the COA is roughly the same, just go to UChi.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 pm

nah bagel but I enjoy it.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 pm

LawBron James wrote:So someone in the Columbia/NYU thread said something about Columbia not requiring professors to give B-'s, and someone said that this would actually be something worth considering.

From everything I've read about Chicago, they don't tend to be very lenient with grades (correct me if I'm wrong), so is this an actual, real factor that should be considered when choosing between these two schools?

I just made this point in the other thread but it's easier to do here since its actually about Chicago.

The fact that we have 174/175/176s (B--, B-, B if I had to letter them) on the curve (below that is some combination of very rare and requires dean approval to even give) enables professors to give more higher grades than they would otherwise. While a 182 here is an ~A+ elsewhere, professors also regularly give 183, 184 and in rare circumstances 185/186s (A++, A+++, etc.)

While that sounds overly complicated all you really need to know is that it drags up overall GPAs such that a lot more people than you think end up with a cumulative GPA that appears at or above median. It's advantageous for hiring imo but creates marginally more competition - the latter never really negative impacted me, the former helping me a great deal.

E- I will say I think this is a poor reason either direction to choose a school. The person who originally brought it up makes occasional good points but more often is of the doomsday prepper variety.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Apparently Chicago's complicated as fuck grading system also helps marginally with gov hiring. I have no idea if that's true or not though.

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Apparently Chicago's complicated as fuck grading system also helps marginally with gov hiring. I have no idea if that's true or not though.

Now that you've said this I'm going to grab onto it for dear life.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Canof09 wrote:
flockavelli wrote:Here is the thing, I did undergrad at Chicago, and so am powerfully disinclined to go back.

OP, I am a 1L at Chicago, and from what I can tell UChicago undergrad is a living hell. Every single undergrad I have ever come in contact with is super nerdy and doing undergrad here seems like one of the least enjoyable things possible. It is a vastly different experience at the law school. The majority of people at the law school are very social and love to have a good time. Don't assume that you will hate being at UChicago for law school just because you didn't love undergrad here.

Also, I don't know when you graduated but Hyde Park is really coming along and improving pretty rapidly. Within the past year we got two really good restaurants (actually good, not just Hyde Park good) that have opened up shop and it seems like there will be more to follow.

It will all become clearer when you go on the admitted student weekend visits in the spring, but I can tell you that I had the most fun on my Chicago visit and it was not close.

I went to UofC UG from 2007-2011 and am now a UofC 2L. Chose it over CLS with the same-ish money numbers.

Well, not really the same. The scholarship was actually slightly less here, but CoA difference more than made up for it. I'm in a one bedroom here that is half the price of the studio CLS was going to give me. Don't underestimate NYC cost of living if you haven't lived there. Anyway, more importantly: there is nothing you can want to do that either place will have a tangible advantage for, relative to the input of your personal motivation to work for whatever that thing is. CLS bros get clerkships and academia too, UofC bros get NYC biglaw. People make such a fuss over minute differences in peer schools I imagine as a way of thinking they'll have to do less work to land x "tier" of clerkship or firm or y market or z fellowship. When it's between UofC and CLS (and NYU), as all the other posters are saying, follow the money.

I agree 100% with canof that the undergrad and the law school are really different places. The law students are infinitely more normal than the undergrads. You'd hardly realize that you're in the world capital of social awkwardness if you only experience law school folk (for non-UofCers: that should tell you something about how horrific some of the people can be at the ugrad). Hyde park is different than it was a decade ago, but I don't think the overall vibe has really changed - it's still a weirdly gated-off neighborhood from the rest of the south side, and it's still super far from the actual fun stuff in the city.

If lay prestige is an important factor in your decision, don't listen to any of the good advice in the thread. Just skip straight to fellating yourself about an Ivy admission. I mean, once you've got that in the bag, do you even have to go?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:29 pm

UChi 2L

I'd just go wherever you like being better, provided that CoL ends up similar. To me living where you like to be is way more important than the hair splitting over which peer is slightly better than the other, but ymmv I guess.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”