Tulane Law vs LSU Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cva1992

New

Tulane Law vs LSU Law

Post by Cva1992 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:07 am

I am a Louisiana resident looking to practice maritime law in New Orleans, LA. Tulane is an enormously influential school for studying maritime law, and thus has remained one of my top choices for law school. However, after being accepted to both schools, LSU is the far cheaper option (full tuition), whereas Tulane has only offered me half tuition. My question would be this: is it worth paying the extra money to attend a school that specializes in maritime law, or should I take the cheaper road? Money isn't so much of an issue but I want to make sure it's worth it.
Thank you!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: Tulane Law vs LSU Law

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 am

Specialties truly do not matter. Idk the max scholarship Tulane offers, but with that GPA I think you gotta retake the LSAT. Get more from them. Half tuition plus COL in NOLA isn't worth it with that GPA. You should be gunning as high as you can on the LSAT. Don't settle with that score, please.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:34 am

Tulane easssssily. Never go to a law school that is strong in athletics because it is likely going to be severely lacking in terms of educational quality.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:04 am

DaRascal wrote:Tulane easssssily. Never go to a law school that is strong in athletics because it is likely going to be severely lacking in terms of educational quality.
What a stupid comment. There are plenty of schools which are strong in athletics and educational quality. How about Stanford, Duke, and Vanderbilt which just won the NCAA Baseball Championship.

For someone trying to work in Louisiana, its probably a better opportunity to go to LSU for a full instead of Tulane with a half scholarship. In reality he will likely hear that he should retake to get into a top tier school.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:09 am

DaRascal wrote:Tulane easssssily. Never go to a law school that is strong in athletics because it is likely going to be severely lacking in terms of educational quality.
OP, don't listen to this guy. He's gives the worst advice of any poster in the on-topic forums.

I don't know a ton about the Louisiana market, but based on the Law School Transparency data, LSU for free wins handily. Also, don't ever pick a school based on speciality rankings. Pick it based on job prospects and anticipated debt. And have you tried negotiating some extra dough from Tulane?

How many times have you taken the LSAT? What are your stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

compass

New

Post by compass » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:40 am

I agree with the advice in this thread. I spent a summer (in undergrad) at a firm in Louisiana and I asked the same question of the attorneys there, without any consideration for scholarships FWIW. The advice I got was to go to LSU because Tulane isn't worth the price difference.

Cva1992

New

Post by Cva1992 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am

The only reason I ask about specialties is because maritime law is such a big deal both in New Orleans and at Tulane Law. I understand that usually specialties don't matter, but I was wondering if anyone knew that they would matter in any way here. I haven't tried negotiating for more money yet; I'm really trying to see if it's worth it or if LSU is clearly the better pick.
Thanks for the replies so far!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

Cva1992 wrote:The only reason I ask about specialties is because maritime law is such a big deal both in New Orleans and at Tulane Law. I understand that usually specialties don't matter, but I was wondering if anyone knew that they would matter in any way here. I haven't tried negotiating for more money yet; I'm really trying to see if it's worth it or if LSU is clearly the better pick.
An almost 15% swing in FTLT legal employment isn't to be taken lightly. If you can't get Tulane to bump you up to full, then take the money at LSU and go gangbusters doing internships and working in maritime law, doing research for professors in that area, etc. Any work experience you can get is going to be much more valuable then some specialty ranking (which is determined on the basis for scholarship and how good a school is at self-promoting its scholarship anyway).

compass

New

Post by compass » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Cva1992 wrote:The only reason I ask about specialties is because maritime law is such a big deal both in New Orleans and at Tulane Law. I understand that usually specialties don't matter, but I was wondering if anyone knew that they would matter in any way here. I haven't tried negotiating for more money yet; I'm really trying to see if it's worth it or if LSU is clearly the better pick.
Why don't you look up the websites for some New Orleans firms you'd potentially be interested in and check out the bios for the younger attorneys? That might give you a better sense for whether Tulane's program actually matters for hiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 pm

With your GPA I have a difficult time believe Tulane wouldn't offer more with a better LSAT score

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:52 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
What a stupid comment.
You only say that because you're a TLS jock.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:16 am

Tulane is the one with the '90s website right?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:45 am

I would pick lsu even if it was the same price as tulane. Plus, lsu girls > tulane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:13 pm

A speciality ranking isn't worth that much debt.
Retake for a Tulane full ride (or at least negotiate with them now, leveraging your LSU fully).

Debt minimization should be your number one priority, so given these options, LSU seems like the most rational decision (barring retake).

xmking07

New

Post by xmking07 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Are you sure you want to stay in LA? I know their common law system is different from the rest of the states, and that the schools probably have some focus on it as opposed to the English common law. If so that could really make the bar exam harder for you having studied an entirely different system of law. If you wish to stay, go to LSU.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 pm

xmking07 wrote:Are you sure you want to stay in LA? I know their common law system is different from the rest of the states, and that the schools probably have some focus on it as opposed to the English common law. If so that could really make the bar exam harder for you having studied an entirely different system of law. If you wish to stay, go to LSU.

I have a friend who moved to Louisiana and is currently studying for their bar. She said the civil law system isn't that much different.

Okie25

New

Post by Okie25 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 pm

LSU

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”