I didn't like UF undergrad. Will I like UVA Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sdgdg35

I didn't like UF undergrad. Will I like UVA Law?

Postby sdgdg35 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 pm

I am an undergraduate student at UF about to graduate. As a whole, I do not look back fondly on my experiences at UF. While I did well academically, I felt very socially isolated throughout a great portion of my undergraduate career.
For the first two years I was extremely focused on academics, internships, and school clubs that I didn't really take the time to date or make a ton of friends.

By the time I got to my third year, I realized a huge division in the student body, those in Greek life and those who are not. I realized how much easier it was for those who were Greek to be social, to date, and and to get involved on campus. My social group is pretty nerdy and just likes to sit at home and watch movies and play video games. I've basically spent the last two years regretting not rushing a fraternity.

To this day, I've done my best to get involved, but I always felt like something was missing. I am also from a "northern" family (New York area that moved to South Florida), so I don't really assimilate well with the culture of Gainesville.

I got into UVA Law and am ecstatic. It is definitely the best law school I've been accepted to, and I feel compelled to attend. I'm just a little weary of repeating my undergraduate experience. I know UVA is also a southern school largely dominated by Greek life. Will my non-Greek experiences at UF make my social life more difficult?

I am extremely excited to go on my journey to become a lawyer and meet a whole bunch of like-minded people. Will I be able to do so easily at UVA Law?

(I also got into Georgetown Law and am wondering if that could potentially be a better option... in terms of job placement, class size, and ranking, I am definitely leaning towards UVA.)

chuckbass

Re: I didn't like UF undergrad. Will I like UVA Law?

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:36 pm

You probably wouldn't like to be an undergraduate at UVA, but law school is totally different. You'll be fine. Once you have all of your options, visit some of them.

/thread

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Gl and congrats
Most law students/lawyers would not like UF undergrad
Enjoy UVA

middlebear

Postby middlebear » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:05 pm

sdgdg35 wrote:I got into UVA Law and am ecstatic. It is definitely the best law school I've been accepted to, and I feel compelled to attend. I'm just a little weary of repeating my undergraduate experience. I know UVA is also a southern school largely dominated by Greek life. Will my non-Greek experiences at UF make my social life more difficult?

I am extremely excited to go on my journey to become a lawyer and meet a whole bunch of like-minded people. Will I be able to do so easily at UVA Law?

(I also got into Georgetown Law and am wondering if that could potentially be a better option… in terms of job placement, class size, and ranking, I am definitely leaning towards UVA.)

Don't pick GULC over UVA, and the employment problems that go with, because of undergrads you won't be around anyway.

Also, for my 2 cents, I am pretty much staying as far away from the South as possible, and I actually like Charlottesville. It's a nice town, near some really beautiful scenery, some great history (Monticello! and near DC), and the fact that it's a college town means you get things like more restaurants/etc. than you would normally in a town that size.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:08 pm

If you're worried about feeling socially isolated, UVA Law is without a doubt the best school you could choose -- I say this as a UVA 1L with lots of socially isolated 1L friends at other top schools.

Each of the sections are basically mini-frats, which you will automatically be a member of. And yes, there is definitely a southern-fratty vibe, lots of boat shoes and bow ties, but it's basically a collection of the nerdiest members of any given frat (and plenty of people who don't fit that mold at all). If you want to go out drinking, you will have people to go out drinking with, and no shortage of organized drinking events. If you want to play video games, board games, hit up a film fest, whatever you're into, you will find people in your section who are down.

I promise you it does not suck here and you will enjoy it as much as it is possible to enjoy law school. Go introduce yourself in the UVA Class of 2018 thread. I'm sure they also do not suck, and since they post here they are also probably the weirdest members of the class of 2018, so a fun place to start making friends.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:21 pm

^ Agree with the above poster. 1L at UVA--lots of nerdy, interesting people that love to have fun and study hard.

North

Postby North » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:47 pm

Go to UVA.

-- UVA 2L

TFALAWL

Postby TFALAWL » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 pm

UVA 2L. Making friends is very easy -- being in the law school is its own type of frat. I personally don't like UVA, but that is due to the fact that 1. C'ville is isolated 2. I'm a West-Coaster 3. I miss my friends from CA. I don't think any of my misgivings apply to you.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm a 3L at UVA and a former Gator whose parents are also from NY (though I was born and raised in South Florida), and I'll echo what some of the other posters have said here. Although Greek life is big in the undergrad here, it isn't a factor in the law school.

While I enjoyed my time at UF, I'd say my experience was pretty similar to yours - didn't join a frat and much preferred watching movies or playing videogames as opposed to going out to bars/clubs. With that in mind, I've loved my time at UVA. I've made more friends here than I did at UF and I'd say I definitely feel more like I'm a part of the community at UVA than I did at UF. In fact, I have a group of friends from my 1L section that set up routine game nights where they meet at one friend's apartment to play video and trivia games. Most of the people from my 1L section have gone to it at one time or another.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about my personal experience at UVA if you want to PM me. I'd also definitely suggest you come visit Charlottesville to get a feel for the vibe here, which I think is very different from the one in Gainesville.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Don't worry about the social stuff too much. Law school is a professional school. You're there to set yourself up to get a job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”