UVA vs Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bahexom

UVA vs Georgetown

Postby Bahexom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey all, need to choose between UVA (accepted) and Georgetown (waiting, only submitted application two weeks ago). I'm a FLEP (Army), so money isn't a consideration in my decision, other than maybe living expenses.

I know the biggest difference is probably location (college town vs. metro area) and I'm not sure which I would prefer to be honest. I believe that atmosphere is most important to me and hope to find out more while visiting both campuses in the next month.

My husband may be stationed at Fort Myer (Arlington), so that would be a consideration. He helps keep me sane, which would be crucial in law school, However, I won't choose GULC just for that reason, as UVA is only 2 hours away from Arlington.

What are people's overall thoughts and opinions on the two schools and what are the atmospheres that people have experienced at both?

DaRascal

Re: UVA vs Georgetown

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:08 pm

MVPB >>> DNCG

I went to UVA for undergrad and it's an amazing school!! Definitely pick UVA! Better law school, cheaper cost of living, and you can find all the beer you'll ever need around town. Georgetown will just turn you into some yuppie, sitcom caricature. UVA will let you be who you want to beeeeeee.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Bahexom wrote:I know the biggest difference is probably location (college town vs. metro area) and I'm not sure which I would prefer to be honest. I believe that atmosphere is most important to me and hope to find out more while visiting both campuses in the next month.

Nah, the biggest difference is employment outcomes, which are pretty terrible at GULC and not-so-terrible at UVA.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:13 pm

I'd say UVA in this case. The job placement is much better.

Arad

Postby Arad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:21 pm

LOL @ DaRascal.

I think the difference between the schools is negligible. UVA places better (without question) but I don't think their placement is that much better to make this an obvious decision. If I were in your shoes, I would pick based on which school/city you like the best.

UVA - Better placement/ranking/rep, small college town, beautiful campus, ungraded LRW, not too far from your husband

GULC - Good placement/ranking/rep, big city, networking advantage, proximity to your husband

I don't think either decision will haunt you in the long run. If you aren't getting the job from Georgetown, you ostensibly aren't getting it from UVA either.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Arad wrote:LOL @ DaRascal.

I think the difference between the schools is negligible. UVA places better (without question) but I don't think their placement is that much better to make this an obvious decision. If I were in your shoes, I would pick based on which school/city you like the best.

UVA - Better placement/ranking/rep, small college town, beautiful campus, ungraded LRW, not too far from your husband

GULC - Good placement/ranking/rep, big city, networking advantage, proximity to your husband

I don't think either decision will haunt you long run. If you aren't getting the job from Georgetown, you ostensibly aren't getting it from UVA.

*Is almost certainly a GULC student.*

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

UVA is generally regarded as a better school, but if your husband is stationed in Arlington, that may be a compelling enough reason to do Georgetown.

What are your career goals? I don't know much about FLEP. Are you expected to do JAG or continue on with the military after law school?
If you're on track to get the job you want no matter the school, then the advantages of UVA over Georgetown disappear.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Dirigo wrote:UVA is generally regarded as a better school, but if your husband is stationed in Arlington, that may be a compelling enough reason to do Georgetown.

What are your career goals? I don't know much about FLEP. Are you expected to do JAG or continue on with the military after law school?
If you're on track to get the job you want no matter the school, then the advantages of UVA over Georgetown disappear.

This is a good point.

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm

One thing that's been ignored, in addition to the significantly better reputation at UVA (GULC is the black sheep of the T14), is the class size, which affects a number of considerations.

Class sizes at GULC are huge (well over 500) and are medium to small-ish at UVA, more along the size of Univ. Chicago, Duke, Stanford, etc. This has a # of benefits in my opinion, from recruiting to Professor access and relationship building. Also, I have lived in D.C. and spent a lot of time in Charlottesville - the latter is probably my dream small town to live in, anywhere in the country, whereas D.C. can be fun but not to live in for many reasons you could guess.

Actually living in D.C. blows and is way overpriced; most live in VA or Maryland and commute in, whereas most GULC 1Ls, 2Ls, and even some 3Ls live in their shitty student housing, which everyone hates. If you want to live in a dorm again and have worse job prospects, by all means go to GULC.

But if your smart and have your schooling financed anyways, UVA is an OBVIOUS choice despite the posters above (who probably go to GULC).

hoepner33

Postby hoepner33 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:56 pm

Sent you a PM.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:03 pm

FlamingDragon wrote:One thing that's been ignored, in addition to the significantly better reputation at UVA (GULC is the black sheep of the T14), is the class size, which affects a number of considerations.
Class sizes at GULC are huge (well over 500) and are medium to small-ish at UVA, more along the size of Univ. Chicago, Duke, Stanford, etc. This has a # of benefits in my opinion, from recruiting to Professor access and relationship building.

While the class sizes are certainly different, you're exaggerating a bit.
Georgetown 580
UVA 307
Duke 221
Chicago 190
Stanford 179

Also, all 1Ls at every school are split into smaller sections so the access to professors argument isn't really a good one. Law school section sizes across schools are all pretty comparable.

Also, the choice isn't "OBVIOUS" here and your tangent about COL is odd since you're effectively arguing that her and her husband pay two rents in separate cities (assuming they both can't live on base in Arlington or have housing costs comped by the military.

As for worse job prospects, that may not really even apply here. OP hasn't expressed the desire to work in biglaw or anything.

foles

Postby foles » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

foles

Postby foles » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Somehow I didn't realize GULC accepted THAT many transfers. That is actually shameful.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:49 pm

Dirigo wrote:
As for worse job prospects, that may not really even apply here. OP hasn't expressed the desire to work in biglaw or anything.

OP is getting a lot of advice in this thread that doesn't necessarily apply because most people are missing the fact that she's a FLEP and answering as though she's a typical 22 year old k-jd who wants BigLaw.

There's no question that, in a vacuum, UVA is a better school. Here's the thing, though. Both are free to the OP, since the Army is paying for her to go. Both will lead to the exact same employment outcome: she'll be an Army JAG. Now, if she decides to get out of the military after a few years, it's probably still better to have UVA on her resume. But the school prestige factor will be diluted by the fact that she'll have several years of experience. The standard LST data really doesn't apply to her at all. With all that in mind, I don't think she'd be crazy to pick GULC so she can actually live with her husband, which is a big deal for military couples.

Full disclosure: I chose GULC over UVA because my wife is still active duty and I didn't want to live hours away from her again.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:55 pm

FLEP means that OP will become a JAG upon completion of law school and passing a bar- traditional job placement numbers won't be as big of a factor. With that being said, I would lean towards UVA over GULC but I don't think you could go wrong picking GULC for proximity to your hubby, simply liking the school/city more, or any of a number of reasons.

ETA: I didn't see Spanishmain's post while I was writing my post. He basically gave a longer and much better explanation of what I was trying to say.
Last edited by MarkfromWI on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:56 pm

I couldn't agree more, Spanish.
Thanks for confirming that FLEP does in fact lead to JAG.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Spanish's advice is clearly best. Glad there's people like him around.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 pm

U guyz, we frens

OP I'd try to nail down your husbands next duty station and go from there.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:26 pm

DaRascal wrote:MVPB >>> DNCG

again, for anyone browsing, no just no

DaRascal wrote:I went to UVA for undergrad and it's an amazing school!! Definitely pick UVA! Better law school, cheaper cost of living, and you can find all the beer you'll ever need around town. Georgetown will just turn you into some yuppie, sitcom caricature. UVA will let you be who you want to beeeeeee.

a glowing endorsement.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:30 pm

FlamingDragon wrote:One thing that's been ignored, in addition to the significantly better reputation at UVA (GULC is the black sheep of the T14), is the class size, which affects a number of considerations.

Class sizes at GULC are huge (well over 500) and are medium to small-ish at UVA, more along the size of Univ. Chicago, Duke, Stanford, etc. This has a # of benefits in my opinion, from recruiting to Professor access and relationship building. Also, I have lived in D.C. and spent a lot of time in Charlottesville - the latter is probably my dream small town to live in, anywhere in the country, whereas D.C. can be fun but not to live in for many reasons you could guess.

Actually living in D.C. blows and is way overpriced; most live in VA or Maryland and commute in, whereas most GULC 1Ls, 2Ls, and even some 3Ls live in their shitty student housing, which everyone hates. If you want to live in a dorm again and have worse job prospects, by all means go to GULC.

But if your smart and have your schooling financed anyways, UVA is an OBVIOUS choice despite the posters above (who probably go to GULC).

I'm sure OP would live in Nova WITH HER HUSBAND (single most important data point other than FLEP). But even if she wanted to live in DC, it doesn't "blow". This sounds like advice based solely on your life and not hers.

OP, there's nothing wrong with taking the metro to Union Station to walk over to GULC. You and 3k other people will be on the train. I don't even understand the concern with commuting but happy to answer any DMV living or transportation questions if you pick GULC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”