Please delete

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Please delete

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It always cracks me up how every time I see two people from St. Louis meet, they have to ask about where each other went to high school. It's apparently a BIG DEAL.

I was wearing a Cardinals hat in Midwestern City X at a mall one time. An older guy asked me if I was from St. Louis. I explained that no, I just went to law school there, I'm actually from Illinois and now lived in City X. The man ignored what I said, and was practically foaming at the mouth for me to stop talking. As soon as I did, he asked me, "So what high school did you go to?" As in, what St. Louis high school did I go to. He then talked my ear off about St. Louis and his high school.

It's that bad.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:40 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:41 pm

sublime wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I am not from Texas. My wife is. I had multiple screeners with Texas firms ask me where my wife went to high school.

Like which high school, or what area?

In StL, they expect the name of the highschool

What some people from here have told me (although a number disagree), is that it is a subtle way to gauge SES and Catholicism.

Oh sorry, yeah, I meant they ask me which specific high school. Then they talk to me about high school.

It's weird.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:47 pm

sublime wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I am not from Texas. My wife is. I had multiple screeners with Texas firms ask me where my wife went to high school.

Like which high school, or what area?

In StL, they expect the name of the highschool

What some people from here have told me (although a number disagree), is that it is a subtle way to gauge SES and Catholicism.

It absolutely is. It's an old money, who does your daddy know kind of city. It's the most insular, borderline hostile to outsiders place I've ever been in the US.

I love it for a lot of reasons, but their attitude is really harmful to the city.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:54 pm

do the different schools/neighborhoods end up having different personalities or whatever?

people in MN ask similar stuff, but it's as much about trying to figure out how wealthy someone's family is as it is about caring about the "schools"/neighborhood/whatever

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 pm

I guess people from a lot of places do it, but it just stuck out to me. Like, when I was teaching, I'd have students go around and say where they were from. They'd all mention various places in the south - Memphis, Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans, whatever. But if someone said "St Louis" invariably someone would say, "I grew up in StL. Where'd you go to high school?" and it didn't happen for other cities.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”