University of Kentucky

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nv93
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 pm

University of Kentucky

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:42 pm

According to LST, the percentage is 70.7% for employment, which is not bad considered that the ones that are higher are juggernauts or well established law programs in highly concentrated areas. I am not interested in T14 because I don't have the time to study for the LSAT as if it was Bar Exam. I really just want to get into the legal practice to focus on getting experience before focusing on a career as an analyst whether if it's Policy, Intelligence, etc. Is Kentucky worth going to since it's a public university that doesn't require too difficult of a LSAT score to get into?

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:03 pm

The careers you are talking about are not legal careers. Figure out what an actual attorney does.

nv93
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:05 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:The careers you are talking about are not legal careers. Figure out what an actual attorney does.


I am only going to work in a firm for 5-10 years at most. I already know what Lawyers do. I worked in a firm already. I am just interested in using a JD as flexible degree as much as possible. A lot of people have JDs and they don't practice Law on a daily basis even though they have decent resumes.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:16 pm

But they don't need the JD to get/do those jobs.

User avatar
reasonable person
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby reasonable person » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm

No.

nv93
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But they don't need the JD to get/do those jobs.


But a lot of those jobs have JDs as employees and have a preference to people with legal experience.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby BankruptMe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

UK is a good law school.

The only one worth going to in KY.

However, the market is very insular. If you are not from KY (or atleast a surrounding state), I would not advise you to go there. You would have to have top of the class status for them to look past your lack of ties and even then, they still may not hire you.

Also, most of the law jobs pay 40-60k in the state. I mean that is good because rent in Lexington is about $500 - $700 a month, so if you have a low debt load, you can make a decent living there.

EDIT: ONLY go to UK if you 100% want to practice law in KY (maybe TN or OH or Indy). lol you are not going to get any analyst job out of UK

You should go to the Diplomacy School there. It really is good and prepares students for international careers. However, again you are in KY, so there isnt much networking that can be done out there.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:43 pm

nv93 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But they don't need the JD to get/do those jobs.


But a lot of those jobs have JDs as employees and have a preference to people with legal experience.

A JD is in no way flexible. If you do not want to practice law, do not get one.

You think it's going to a long-term resume boost? From the University of Kentucky? Whatever you say, kid.


ETA: Am I getting this right from your post history: you're an asian kid from Florida? And you want to go to Kentucky for law school so you can work in intelligence? OK then.

nv93
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby nv93 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
nv93 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But they don't need the JD to get/do those jobs.


But a lot of those jobs have JDs as employees and have a preference to people with legal experience.

A JD is in no way flexible. If you do not want to practice law, do not get one.

You think it's going to a long-term resume boost? From the University of Kentucky? Whatever you say, kid.


ETA: Am I getting this right from your post history: you're an asian kid from Florida? And you want to go to Kentucky for law school so you can work in intelligence? OK then.


Only because I am looking at cheap schools. If I have to, I would consider George Mason as well.

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:32 pm

nv93 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
nv93 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:But they don't need the JD to get/do those jobs.


But a lot of those jobs have JDs as employees and have a preference to people with legal experience.

A JD is in no way flexible. If you do not want to practice law, do not get one.

You think it's going to a long-term resume boost? From the University of Kentucky? Whatever you say, kid.


ETA: Am I getting this right from your post history: you're an asian kid from Florida? And you want to go to Kentucky for law school so you can work in intelligence? OK then.


Only because I am looking at cheap schools. If I have to, I would consider George Mason as well.

It goes without saying but both are fantastically terrible ideas here.

User avatar
bugsy33
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: University of Kentucky

Postby bugsy33 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:03 pm

nv93 wrote:According to LST, the percentage is 70.7% for employment, which is not bad considered that the ones that are higher are juggernauts or well established law programs in highly concentrated areas. I am not interested in T14 because I don't have the time to study for the LSAT as if it was Bar Exam. I really just want to get into the legal practice to focus on getting experience before focusing on a career as an analyst whether if it's Policy, Intelligence, etc. Is Kentucky worth going to since it's a public university that doesn't require too difficult of a LSAT score to get into?


UK is a fine school if you're a Kentucky resident and want to practice law in Kentucky for the rest of your life. Don't go there if that doesn't apply to you. Don't go to any law school unless you want to practice law for the rest of your life (if you get lucky). If you want to do policy go get a degree in public policy, if you want to do intel go to OCS and get an intel slot. Law school is for lawyers. JDs aren't flexible.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lsa16, North and 2 guests