SMU v UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Okie25

SMU v UIUC

Postby Okie25 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Last edited by Okie25 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. Nefario

Re: SMU v UIUC

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm

While DFW is cheaper, living in the SMU/Highland Park area would generally be as expensive as Chicago most likely. otherwise it's honestly best to wait to answer this question til after your retake though. If these two end up your options, it'd be helpful to know more about your situation such as type of law you want to practice, why not Kansas, etc. Good luck in Feb! Many of us will be there retaking as well.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Gotta do better on the retake. Good luck.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:40 pm

The salary data you're citing is very flawed because it's self-reported.

And it depends on where you want to practice. You get similar outcomes from both schools. The big difference is geographic placement. Visit both and pick whichever you like more.

Your parents rock. A few points more and UIUC will likely be free. Maybe they'll buy you a super nice car then.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 pm

SMU is too expensive, imo. But that doesn't mean I'd take UIUC at that price either.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Dirigo wrote:The salary data you're citing is very flawed because it's self-reported.

And it depends on where you want to practice. You get similar outcomes from both schools. The big difference is geographic placement. Visit both and pick whichever you like more.

Your parents rock. A few points more and UIUC will likely be free. Maybe they'll buy you a super nice car then.

I think you're overstating the problems with self-reported salary data. I would take the salaries serious, but look at them in the context of how many people responded.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:39 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
Dirigo wrote:The salary data you're citing is very flawed because it's self-reported.

I think you're overstating the problems with self-reported salary data. I would take the salaries serious, but look at them in the context of how many people responded.

Okay. Let me rephrase. The data isn't flawed. The inferences one is likely to make from the data are likely to be flawed.
It's a nuance people without a discerning eye are unlikely to pick up on.
Better?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I'd take that salary data very seriously. It's over 80% reporting. Elections have been called with fewer %s...
edit - over 75%. Data should be solid.

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:28 pm

These are extremely comparable schools, albeit serving different regions. If you truly have no preference as to where you work, go for the cheaper COA and slight bump in biglaw+FC chances (assuming those are your career goals) at Illinois.

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Disagree in terms of upper limits. I highly doubt those who don't report have salaries above $80,000. Those with high salaries will report them because it makes them look good. Therefore, in terms of looking at "51% of graduates have a salary of >60,000" you can be sure that that number is rather accurate. As far as I can tell LST includes the non-reported in those percentage.

Of course, that means that the other 49% are much lower, reported or not. So keep that in mind

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:00 am

pamphleteer wrote:These are extremely comparable schools, albeit serving different regions. If you truly have no preference as to where you work, go for the cheaper COA and slight bump in biglaw+FC chances (assuming those are your career goals) at Illinois.

Going to either with a goal of "biglaw+FC" isn't a very good move. Also, someone from Kansas would be way behind the 8 ball trying to get Dallas big law.

I don't know much about the Chicago market but I wouldn't choose SMU here.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:05 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:

Disagree in terms of upper limits. I highly doubt those who don't report have salaries above $80,000. Those with high salaries will report them because it makes them look good. Therefore, in terms of looking at "51% of graduates have a salary of >60,000" you can be sure that that number is rather accurate. As far as I can tell LST includes the non-reported in those percentage.

Of course, that means that the other 49% are much lower, reported or not. So keep that in mind

I didn't report my salary to SMU because I'm lazy.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:32 am

Don't go to SMU if you're not from Texas...

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:01 am

BigZuck wrote:
pamphleteer wrote:These are extremely comparable schools, albeit serving different regions. If you truly have no preference as to where you work, go for the cheaper COA and slight bump in biglaw+FC chances (assuming those are your career goals) at Illinois.

Going to either with a goal of "biglaw+FC" isn't a very good move. Also, someone from Kansas would be way behind the 8 ball trying to get Dallas big law.

I don't know much about the Chicago market but I wouldn't choose SMU here.

Yeah fair enough but insofar as BL+FC is a reasonable proxy for desirable employment outcomes as a whole, Illinois seems to have an edge.

Okie25

Postby Okie25 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

star fox wrote:Don't go to SMU if you're not from Texas...

Are Texas ties that important?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Okie25 wrote:

It's a pretty insular market. Especially Dallas.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Okie25 wrote:

They are important almost everywhere. But yeah, definitely in Texas. Going to SMU might be somewhat of a tie but I wouldn't chance it if you haven't lived in DFW (or at least Texas) before law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 pm

In my opinion, it comes down to whether you prefer to start your career in Texas or in Illinois.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Okie25 wrote:

Texas pride is a real thing.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:01 pm

I think Texas ties are oversold as a necessity for Dallas (and even moreso for Houston, but we're talking SMU here). The Dallas employers I spoke with seemed more concerned that Texans from Houston/Austin/San Antonio would eventually bolt back to their old home than they were that out-of-staters needed stronger ties. I have lots of friends who's first trip to Texas was LS-related, but got jobs that might be expected for someone of their LS performance, but that's just anecdata. (Disclosure: I'm from Texas so my experience is all second-hand.)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Dallas has a pretty big transplant population (I'd say roughly close to 98% transplants). Plus, there is this assumption that "why wouldn't you want to be in Texas?" So you'll have a tougher time of it than a natural Texas citizen, but not as bad as you would in Austin or San Antonio.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”