Yale or NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
missruffian

New

Re: Yale or NYU

Post by missruffian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:You single?
Single and ready to mingle. ;)

In all seriousness, you make a great point. My parents think I should absolutely go to Yale. They think that this money doesn't matter, because they can always make more and give it to me if I really need it. But I don't want to depend on their money anymore. I do want the flexibility of taking a shit-paying job because it makes me happy.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Follow the money. If you have Yale numbers, you've got a good chance at a Ruby at Chicago. Then, your parents can just give you money instead of giving some rich ass law school money. I don't think Yale is worth $300,000 more than NYU or Chicago, even if you want to do PI.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Why can't you do loans at Yale + COAP like a couple others suggested? And keep the 300k.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Maybe also it's worth it to check in with a financial adviser, just to make sure there's really no way for you to protect your money while PSLF/LRAP-ing.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Since cost isn't an issue, Yale all the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:58 pm

I would take RTK in your position if you get it. Otherwise while it's justifiable to still attend NYU over Yale--both are great law schools--it's not the recommended path, even for someone who wants to work in public international law. Yale has a more conservative faculty but it certainly provides routes for a sizable number of its students to enter careers that only one or two at another T6 would have.

As far as academic pressure is concerned, yea the no grades first semester element definitely would drive my decision.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Dirigo wrote:Since cost isn't an issue, Yale all the way.
No debt =/ cost isn't an issue. $300,000 could = 5 or 6 years worth of earnings in PI law.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm

In my opinion go wherever you want. Your options are free #1 school or free elite school that's the best in your main area if interest. Without the parent funds, NYU arguably makes more sense. Even with them, I understand the desire to be independent. TLS is obsessed with prestige but those are both great outcomes.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:32 am

missruffian wrote:
Skool wrote:(just arrange custody and control of your 300k in such a way that it's not technically yours but still accessible to you).
Not possible. It's an education fund in my name. Nobody can touch it. Hell, I can't even access it for things other than education until I'm 25.
If you don't use the money for education will it be heavily taxed? It's not a true $300k then right? How much would you actually have?

With the RTK how would your living expenses be paid? Yale?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kfh37

New

Post by kfh37 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:05 pm

RTK doesn't cover living expenses, right? Wouldn't the real difference in cost of attendance be closer to $180K (3 years of Yale tuition)? Also, COL is cheaper in New Haven. Yale really does open doors for the rest of your career. I think either choice could be the right one for you, but I'd pick Yale.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Even full rides don't cover living expenses at NYU. So plan for anywhere from $50-75k there, depending on how lavish your lifestyle is. I'd take NYU all day long if it meant I got to keep six figures of cold, hard cash. Especially since you said you have no interest in academia.

Re the grades: 1L year will pass by soon enough.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

missruffian wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:You single?
Single and ready to mingle. ;)

In all seriousness, you make a great point. My parents think I should absolutely go to Yale. They think that this money doesn't matter, because they can always make more and give it to me if I really need it. But I don't want to depend on their money anymore. I do want the flexibility of taking a shit-paying job because it makes me happy.
have you considered working for your parents and living a carefree playgirl lifestyle

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:04 pm

No one will ever believe you when you tell them you turned down yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:No one will ever believe you when you tell them you turned down yale.
They'll probably believe you when you can buy a house only a few years out of school.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:17 pm

FWIW: I had a similar choice at the time. Full ride at NYU with interest in international human rights versus Yale (still received about 1/3-1/2 need-based scholarship). Thus, my financial situation was different than yours but I still decided to choose YLS.

I am one-year out now and still think back on my decision. I strayed from International Human Rights and am now in corporate law (*gasp*) for a variety of reasons. I will offer my two cents and you should take them for what you want.

First, Yale really is that great. I am far from a sunshine pumper, but in terms of access to resources and the free time to pursue your passions, one would be hard-pressed to find another institution as good as YLS. The no-grade aspect matters because you are left to your own devices, and whether that means you slack off and enjoy life or pursue meaningful philanthropy overseas, it gives you the ability to choose.

Secondly, though I am removed from NGO work I've heard a significant number of stories about the difficulty in acquiring these jobs. I would imagine that YLS would provide an edge but would be lying if I told you for sure that is the case. Would be worth asking around and seeing what institution has the upper-hand in hiring for positions you covet.

I would also be curious as to how much the location of NYU (i.e. proximity to international human rights organizations) really matters in acquiring that sort of work. And, of course, the $300k should come into play too. Though you must also consider what future paths your career could take outside of PI and what institution would benefit most then as well.

At the end of the day I imagine your best bet would be to discuss your options with students in human rights programs from both schools. Ask people who are practical and offer objective answers (and will consequently offer up both the positives and negatives of their respective schools).

If you need to be put in touch with anyone from YLS feel free to PM. Sure I could track down a few from NYU too if you needed.

Best of luck in your decision!

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 pm

i think yale has such clout that it's the better choice
there's also something to be said for that peer-level

Poptorts

Bronze

Post by Poptorts » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 pm

gamerish wrote:You've gotta be shitting me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:28 pm

How did you get into Yale with a 3.8/171?

Like did you have any special softs?
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 pm

rseaney wrote:i think yale has such clout that it's the better choice
there's also something to be said for that peer-level
Are you really suggesting there's some kind of noticeable difference between students at Yale and at NYU? I know Yale is the cream of the crop, but people getting into NYU are pretty smart and accomplished as well. Or I guess I should say: do you really think that difference is worth passing up the chance to graduate without debt and with ~$200k in pocket?

(Also, clearly Yale thought OP's stats were good enough for admission.)

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 pm

you can always just make more money though

missruffian

New

Post by missruffian » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:34 pm

DiniMae wrote:If you don't use the money for education will it be heavily taxed? It's not a true $300k then right? How much would you actually have?

With the RTK how would your living expenses be paid? Yale?
Yes, it would be heavily taxed. I'm not sure exactly how much it would be. But left untouched, it could double by the time I graduated, at which point it would be taxed about 50%, so in the end I'd probably end up with around $300k. I know nothing about finances. I should probably figure that out soon.

I'd be covering living expenses from the same fund for both schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 pm

I missed the part where you'd get to pocket the $300k if you didn't choose Yale. I change my vote to NYU.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:43 pm

NYU 3L here. NYU's interest international law program is fantastic and a lot of people get fabulous opportunities while they are here, but hiring after graduation is a different story. international human rights law is a very small and prestige-oriented niche and the name brand of yale may get you more places. if you know public interest international law is definitely what you want to do, i think yale may be better. if you're more flexible in your public interest ambitions, NYU is great and i love it here.

missruffian

New

Post by missruffian » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:47 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:I would also be curious as to how much the location of NYU (i.e. proximity to international human rights organizations) really matters in acquiring that sort of work. And, of course, the $300k should come into play too. Though you must also consider what future paths your career could take outside of PI and what institution would benefit most then as well.

At the end of the day I imagine your best bet would be to discuss your options with students in human rights programs from both schools. Ask people who are practical and offer objective answers (and will consequently offer up both the positives and negatives of their respective schools).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do have a fear that going to Yale would turn me away from international law, which seems to happen to quite a few people who go there. But then again, people go into NYU with IILJ scholarships and end up ditching international law too, so I think that's just the nature of law school.

I have been talking to students from both schools, and they've been really helpful. From what they've told me, the location of NYU only really matters for externships during the school semester. Otherwise, there's not a huge difference.

missruffian

New

Post by missruffian » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Are you really suggesting there's some kind of noticeable difference between students at Yale and at NYU? I know Yale is the cream of the crop, but people getting into NYU are pretty smart and accomplished as well. Or I guess I should say: do you really think that difference is worth passing up the chance to graduate without debt and with ~$200k in pocket?

(Also, clearly Yale thought OP's stats were good enough for admission.)
According to some Yale students I've talked to, there is a noticeable difference between students at Yale and NYU. NYU students are supposedly generally smart and accomplished, but don't have the resumes of Yale students, i.e. people who speak six languages, founded their own companies, published novels, etc.

Obviously, that's not a reason to to pick Yale. But Yale has other advantages. I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”