Yale vs Harvard (BigLaw)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RedColossus

Yale vs Harvard (BigLaw)

Postby RedColossus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:48 pm

As someone not entirely sure what kind of law I want to practice, I do know that I want to keep big law on the table. That being said, I see job placement with big law seems to be dominated by every T14 except for Yale. I've seen people say that it is self-selection, but I want to know what others think.

Please don't hate for me asking the stereotypical Harvard vs. Yale crap, I genuinely just want to know if a Yale grad actually has as good or better opportunities to work in big law, or if everyone being aware of the culture of Yale and the willingness of their students to turn down big law leads to firms to recruit there less and your chances of big law, even if that is what you want to do by your first or second year, go down considerably.

I definitely am interested in potential public interest law or even academia (though not strongly leaning towards the latter), and I know Yale definitely has a leg up on these. I merely want to know if I went there whether I would be sacrificing future chances at big law, and if so, to what extent.

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Yale vs Harvard (BigLaw)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:51 pm

It's easier to get biglaw from Yale than any other school.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Yale's lower biglaw placement 9 months after graduation is 100% self selection. A huge chunk of the class lands A3 clerkships, and that's why the biglaw numbers are lower.
You would not be sacrificing anything if you had the privilege to attend Yale.

RedColossus

Postby RedColossus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm

That's all fantastic to hear, and what I was assuming. I guess a lot of nerves just come with finally deciding where you are going to attend, but Yale sounds like an absolutely incredible place, with the quintessential academic environment.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:06 pm

RedColossus wrote:That's all fantastic to hear, and what I was assuming. I guess a lot of nerves just come with finally deciding where you are going to attend, but Yale sounds like an absolutely incredible place, with the quintessential academic environment.

This tells me that either HLS or YLS will work.

Julius

Postby Julius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Harvard is better if you want to learn the law for the sake of practice and view law school as a step in that direction. Yale is better if you use phrases like quintessential academic environment in ordinary conversation.

Vursz

Postby Vursz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Julius wrote:Harvard is better if you want to learn the law for the sake of practice and view law school as a step in that direction. Yale is better if you use phrases like quintessential academic environment in ordinary conversation.

This is true.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Julius wrote:Harvard is better if you want to learn the law for the sake of practice and view law school as a step in that direction. Yale is better if you use phrases like quintessential academic environment in ordinary conversation.

(went to harvard and secretly weeps wondering what might have been at yale)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:00 pm

utahraptor wrote:

Yeah, seriously.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Yale

(didn't read the thread)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 pm

RedColossus wrote:As someone not entirely sure what kind of law I want to practice, I do know that I want to keep big law on the table. That being said, I see job placement with big law seems to be dominated by every T14 except for Yale. I've seen people say that it is self-selection, but I want to know what others think.

Okay, I read it. This can be easily answered with the search function, but yes, it is self-selection. It is genuinely not an exaggeration that you could take all your exams drunk and likely land a Vault 20 firm in NYC from Yale.
Last edited by Elston Gunn on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 pm

I thought the TLS answer to "Y vs. H?" was "CCN with $$."

Julius

Postby Julius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Dirigo wrote:
utahraptor wrote:

Yeah, seriously.

I'd use the term quintessential academic environment in ordinary conversation. I went to neither school.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 pm

RZ5646 wrote:I thought the TLS answer to "Y vs. H?" was "CCN with $$."

If generic biglaw is the goal, T14 $$$$ > HYS.
This OP had a more nuanced question and mentioned academia & public interest, with the concern not being to foreclose on a biglaw opportunity by going to Yale.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Julius wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
utahraptor wrote:

Yeah, seriously.

I'd use the term quintessential academic environment in ordinary conversation. I went to neither school.

You missed the point. But if you went to neither then why are you speaking on intangibles with such authority?

Julius

Postby Julius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Dirigo wrote:You missed the point. But if you went to neither then why are you speaking on intangibles with such authority?

No, I didn't. It was obvious. I ignored it and provided clarification for the OP--I didn't mean it as a slight to OP.

Why are you speaking with such authority? I know Yale and Harvard grads from school and practice and have had discussions with them. Speaking generally, they are different people with different academic experiences and strengths.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Post removed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”