Iowa, Loyola, American, and Kent for IP Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: Iowa, Loyola, American, and Kent for IP Law

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:33 pm

laserusjm wrote:I am interested to know what is best when you consider overall tanking

Overall I think American would probably do the best job of tanking your chances of becoming an attorney. But really, the chances of any of them ending your legal career before it starts are pretty good.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:46 pm

PM me specific questions about Loyola if you want. I'm IP and I'm at Loyola and love it.

Disagree with the earlier comment that Kent is better than Loyola. Loyola recently surpassed Kent in rankings, and I can vouch that the IP director at Loyola and the program here is not at all snubbed by big firms. If you can study hard to be top or near top of your class and you have some great work experience and are generally responsible, nothing's wrong with Loyola.

But I have to agree with some posters that this is a rough decision and you have to have good reasons for going to a lower ranked school.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:20 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:PM me specific questions about Loyola if you want. I'm IP and I'm at Loyola and love it.

Disagree with the earlier comment that Kent is better than Loyola. Loyola recently surpassed Kent in rankings, and I can vouch that the IP director at Loyola and the program here is not at all snubbed by big firms. If you can study hard to be top or near top of your class and you have some great work experience and are generally responsible, nothing's wrong with Loyola.

But I have to agree with some posters that this is a rough decision and you have to have good reasons for going to a lower ranked school.

Why do rankings matter?

And study hard doesn't automatically equal good grades.

Postby 03152016 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:57 pm

op, you lack the maturity to go to law school. your post suggests you have a lay of the land, yet you're obsessed with meaningless rankings and are offended that anyone would even suggest you think about costs.

any one of these schools could be a rational choice or a disaster, depending on your circumstances. if you choose to conceal them, you'll only have yourself to blame when you're dissatisfied with your outcome in four years.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote:PM me specific questions about Loyola if you want. I'm IP and I'm at Loyola and love it.

Why do rankings matter?

And study hard doesn't automatically equal good grades.

It's fairly obvious the implication is low rank = poor job prospects, but yeah, the Kent v. Loyola portion in the rankings is pretty arbitrary.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 pm

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:Definitely American. Look, let's face facts. You can't get a decent job now which is why you applying to lousy law schools. And you likely won't be able to get a decent job when you graduate from any of these schools (just check out LST). So your focus should be on having fun during the next three years. DC is a great city.

Remember law school is taxpayer financed vacation. The government will loan you all the money you need for tuition, room, board, everything. And then you don't have to pay it back. With the PAYE program you never pay more than 10% of your income. With the low income you'll have when you graduate, you'll likely pay nothing.

So go where the party is best. Definitely DC.

As for IP law, hey it's great that you have dreams dude. But let's face it, if you had the kind of skills that would get you a decent IP law job, you'd already have an IP job and wouldn't be considering these lousy schools. In fact, most IP jobs pay more than the average job people from the schools you're considering get.

die

Chevron Deference

Postby Chevron Deference » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:10 am

How is the market there?

Doesn't Loyola/Kent/DePaul pretty much have the same employment rate in Chicago when it comes to IP?

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:12 am

FutureSuperLawyer wrote:Remember law school is taxpayer financed vacation.

Vacation in a "group of teens go camping only to encounter inbred, cannibalistic appalachian murder/incest-cult" sense or a "ironic, monkey-paw-wish, deal with the devil, living nightmare" sense?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:43 am

Chevron Deference wrote:

How is the market there?

Doesn't Loyola/Kent/DePaul pretty much have the same employment rate in Chicago when it comes to IP?

I don't have IP experience so I didn't directly deal with this market, but I have friends who did IP at all three schools. I think they all roughly have similar employment chances and outcomes. If they were all perfectly equal costs I may give the slightest adv to Kent.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”