Iowa, Loyola, American, and Kent for IP Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laserusjm

Iowa, Loyola, American, and Kent for IP Law

Postby laserusjm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Yes, everyone is going to want to say something like none of these school, but I don't want to hear it, any of it. If you have to pretend I have all the money in the world to throw away, then go ahead. But all I want is constructive discussion on which of these schools is the best compared to the others. Thank you.

I'm waiting on some other schools but I want to know the advice for these schools. I am doing IP law. What is the opinion on these four schools. I am interested to know what is best when you consider overall tanking, IP ranking, feeder status into respective cities, etc. Please give me real advice! Thank you!

deadpanic

Re: Iowa, Loyola, American, and Kent for IP Law

Postby deadpanic » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:53 pm

You haven't given us nearly enough information like where you want to practice, costs and stats.

But I will go ahead and tell you American is one of the absolute worst law schools in the country.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 pm

laserusjm wrote: Please give me real advice! Thank you!

laserusjm wrote:but I don't want to hear it, any of it.

This makes it difficult to give you real advice.

That said, yeah, American is a dumpster fire that should be closed, so if nothing else scratch that off your list.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 pm

laserusjm wrote:which of these schools is the best compared to the others. Thank you.

They all suck ass and are good only for breaking dreams and burning large piles of money.

Iowa is fine for an Iowan who has modest goals, a good scholarship, and wants to spend the rest of their career in Iowa. I don't take you to fit that profile, so it sucks ass.

Loyola? Which one? Doesn't matter; they're all terrible.

Kent sucks ass, too.

American might be the worst school in the country, all thing considered.

Retake or find another profession.

Patent2014

Postby Patent2014 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Disregard the speciality ranking for law schools, they really don't matter much. What matters most is the law school ranking and overall reputation in the market you want to end up in. If you have a strong technical background you'll look attractive to law firms but to get offers from some of the bigger and more prestigious firms you'll need to go to a top school, at least for the area. If you're interested in Chicago (3 of those 4 are in this area), then go to th highest ranking school in the area you can get into. They all should have a decent # of IP courses. Firms will hire you based on your background/grades/school reputation.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 pm

I am doing IP law.

What you mean by this is that you want to do IP law. You might roll your eyes at the distinction, but it's really important you understand the difference because based on your OP, it doesn't sound like you do. It's not about burning piles of money or even wasting time in law school - it's about the fact that if you go to any one of these schools, the likelihood of the statement "I am doing IP law" being true three years from now is slightly below a coin-flip chance.

When you ask about "feeder status into respective cities" and "IP ranking" you're making the assumption that you'll actually be an attorney if you go to these schools. And who knows, maybe you will be. Personally, I wouldn't bet three years of my life on it.

thebobs1987

Postby thebobs1987 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm

If you want Chicago, why Iowa and not UIUC? Unlike the rest of the school, everyone that is patent law at UIUC gets big law if they want it. Don't know about Iowa, Loyola or Kent in terms of their IP placement. And American is a terrible decision anytime, but especially if you are looking for Chicago, which it appears. Retake is probably the right answer, but really depends on the other schools' IP placement and COA.

But as mentioned, to do patent law, you need a technical background. Do you have a phd or engineering degree?

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Last edited by Effingham on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 pm

laserusjm wrote: If you have to pretend I have all the money in the world to throw away, then go ahead.

I had to read this twice to get what you are saying. The answer is no. Being completely irrational to the point where you don't want to consider literally the most important thing about your decision (i.e. the price of admission) shows us that you just aren't mentally prepared to make this kind of investment, although for some reason the federal government thinks otherwise.

Just don't go to American. It has a 35% FTLT job rate when you subtract school funded jobs, for god's sake.

bl1nds1ght

Postby bl1nds1ght » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Iowa is fine for an Iowan who has modest goals, a good scholarship, and wants to spend the rest of their career in Iowa. I don't take you to fit that profile, so it sucks ass.

Iowa actually places a not-insignificant number of grads in both MN (9.5%) and IL (11.1%), but I agree that attendees should expect to stay within IA after graduation, unless they have strong ties elsewhere. This could definitely be from MN or IL residents who attend IA and then go back to their respective home states for employment.

I also agree that paying sticker there would not be a good idea. Hefty scholarship needed. Overall, good employment and FC score, though. It's easily the best of the schools listed by OP (it's got a better BL + FC score than MN and also has lower gross unemployment).

That said, retake.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:05 pm

I know lots of people from Kent. The ones with IP backgrounds got good jobs out of there. The ones without IP backgrounds were all over the place. Without knowing your goals and background, Kent is most definitely better than American and Loyola. I don't much about Iowa though.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:07 pm

it depends on where you want to work. in light of the transfer data American may mot be quite as bad as people think. they are losing 90 some odd of their median or better students (close to half), and virtually the entire top of the class. the surprising thing is that 40 percent still secure any legal employment at all. their employment score would probably be closer to Iowa's if they had an average number of transfers. however, none of these schools are good.

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
laserusjm wrote:which of these schools is the best compared to the others. Thank you.

They all suck ass and are good only for breaking dreams and burning large piles of money.

Iowa is fine for an Iowan who has modest goals, a good scholarship, and wants to spend the rest of their career in Iowa. I don't take you to fit that profile, so it sucks ass.

Loyola? Which one? Doesn't matter; they're all terrible.

Kent sucks ass, too.

American might be the worst school in the country, all thing considered.

If you're not mature enough to take this hard truth, you're not ready to ruin your life with law school.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:13 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:Iowa is fine for an Iowan who has modest goals, a good scholarship, and wants to spend the rest of their career in Iowa. I don't take you to fit that profile, so it sucks ass.

Iowa actually places a not-insignificant number of grads in both MN (9.5%) and IL (11.1%), but I agree that attendees should expect to stay within IA after graduation, unless they have strong ties elsewhere. This could definitely be from MN or IL residents who attend IA and then go back to their respective home states for employment.

Sure -- I'm not saying at the top end it doesn't have respectable placement elsewhere. But we need to give advice based on median outcomes. You wouldn't advise a kid who wants NYC biglaw to go to UT b/c like 7% of the class ends up there.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:27 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:it depends on where you want to work. in light of the transfer data American may mot be quite as bad as people think. they are losing 90 some odd of their median or better students (close to half), and virtually the entire top of the class. the surprising thing is that 40 percent still secure any legal employment at all. their employment score would probably be closer to Iowa's if they had an average number of transfers. however, none of these schools are good.

Yeah can't say I agree. At all.

Their huge transfer deal is a newer phenomenon that is not reflected in the current LST score. Before this year, if you look at the last three 509s, they transferred in about as many students as transferred out. I'm sure that they'd continue doing that if they could find enough bodies. They averaged about 50 transfers in 2011 and 2012. Assuming C/O 2013 did, too, we're talking 50 of the original 500 transferring out, with 50 transferring in to replace them. In no way does that excuse the horror that is their LST page.

Also, going to American and transferring, even to, say, GTown, is not a desirable outcome. Most of these dudes are going GW, though. Two years of sticker at GW on top of your American debt? Even worse, IIRC, if you transfer, American makes you pay back the value of your scholarship. Three years of sticker, essentially. Then at OCI wherever you transfer, they're still going to see you actually went to American. Fuck.

American University Washington College of Law* is one of the worst law schools in the country and is a true TTT, in every sense.

*SEO

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Oh, you're completely right then. I'm sure the LST score will further drop if we assume below median at American means screwed. You're losing half the people who'd comprise the 44 percent.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:21 am

Just watch, they'll be the first TTT to eliminate grades as a "pedagogical" tool.

FutureSuperLawyer

Postby FutureSuperLawyer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Definitely American. Look, let's face facts. You can't get a decent job now which is why you applying to lousy law schools. And you likely won't be able to get a decent job when you graduate from any of these schools (just check out LST). So your focus should be on having fun during the next three years. DC is a great city.

Remember law school is taxpayer financed vacation. The government will loan you all the money you need for tuition, room, board, everything. And then you don't have to pay it back. With the PAYE program you never pay more than 10% of your income. With the low income you'll have when you graduate, you'll likely pay nothing.

So go where the party is best. Definitely DC.

As for IP law, hey it's great that you have dreams dude. But let's face it, if you had the kind of skills that would get you a decent IP law job, you'd already have an IP job and wouldn't be considering these lousy schools. In fact, most IP jobs pay more than the average job people from the schools you're considering get.

InTheHouse

Postby InTheHouse » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Just avoid American.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah don't go to American. It's beyond TTT.
Also seconding the consider UIUC sentiment if targeting Chicago.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:58 pm

i think something wlse to consider about American is you're facing 4th tier prospects while going against classmates with low tier 1-upper tier 2 numbers. your average classmate isn't an idiot, and you have to be close to number one. a better ranking is only a good thing when it is correlated with better opportunities.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 pm

yea. im just saying if you had to be top ten percent for a given result, any rational person pursuing this result would rather face a class where everyone had a 2.7 and 148 than one where everyone had a 3.5 and 158.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”