FIU or UM

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ariel_917

FIU or UM

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 am

I have only gotten two letters so far and they are from FIU and UM (miami). Miami is offering a 25,000/year scholly which is like half tuition and FIU is offering a full tuition scholarship. I know that FIU is not as prestigious but should I overlook that because of the money I would be saving. They're rankings are actually similar but I think Miami is more known in south Florida. I'm still waiting to hear back from UF FSU Emory and Duke. Duke is a reach though. I have a 3.6 gpa and 156 lsat. URM. Please help

ilikebaseball

Re: FIU or UM

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:07 am

ariel_917 wrote:I have only gotten two letters so far and they are from FIU and UM (miami). Miami is offering a 25,000/year scholly which is like half tuition and FIU is offering a full tuition scholarship. I know that FIU is not as prestigious but should I overlook that because of the money I would be saving. They're rankings are actually similar but I think Miami is more known in south Florida. I'm still waiting to hear back from UF FSU Emory and Duke. Duke is a reach though. I have a 3.6 gpa and 156 lsat. URM. Please help

It seems like Emory is as well. If you can retake, you should. I don't think any of those other schools you listed would make it worth attending

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/fiu/

usually I'm against telling kids to retake if a full ride to a strong regional is one of their options and their goals don't include biglaw/going out of state

but in this case, FIU isn't even a strong regional--only half of their graduates are employed in a full time legal position 9 months after graduation

OP, you should really really really really consider sitting out this cycle

I'm at a T14 and know plenty of URMS who are here largely based off of correctly answering 5 more questions than you on the LSAT

btw Duke is out

ariel_917

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 am

ilikebaseball wrote:
ariel_917 wrote:I have only gotten two letters so far and they are from FIU and UM (miami). Miami is offering a 25,000/year scholly which is like half tuition and FIU is offering a full tuition scholarship. I know that FIU is not as prestigious but should I overlook that because of the money I would be saving. They're rankings are actually similar but I think Miami is more known in south Florida. I'm still waiting to hear back from UF FSU Emory and Duke. Duke is a reach though. I have a 3.6 gpa and 156 lsat. URM. Please help

It seems like Emory is as well. If you can retake, you should. I don't think any of those other schools you listed would make it worth attending

Why don't you think FSU will or UF are worth attending?

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:10 am

ariel_917 wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

Why don't you think FSU will or UF are worth attending?

basically because if they're not essentially free they suck ass. See, e.g., lawschooltransparency.com. With your stats they're absolutely going to suck ass. As a URM with a 3.6 you'd be an absolute moron not to retake.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 am

ilikebaseball wrote:

while you're advice has been less bad of late, we can still do better. You need to be more forceful about the retake. It's crucial. There are almost no real "I cannot retake" situations -- they can always get a job and sit out for two years. That's a much better idea than wasting a 3.6 URM on the utter shitstain of a school that is FIU.

ariel_917

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:

while you're advice has been less bad of late, we can still do better. You need to be more forceful about the retake. It's crucial. There are almost no real "I cannot retake" situations -- they can always get a job and sit out for two years. That's a much better idea than wasting a 3.6 URM on the utter shitstain of a school that is FIU.

My friend is at Emory now with a 150 lsat and a 3.8 gpa so Idt Emory is out. So if UF Fsu or Emory gives me money, those would be the be the best options even if it's not a full ride?

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 pm

It really just depends on your goals. If you're looking to practice in the Miami area and wouldn't mind working in a small firm doing personal injury, family law, etc. FIU at full ride isn't a bad choice.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Young Marino wrote:It really just depends on your goals. If you're looking to practice in the Miami area and wouldn't mind working in a small firm doing personal injury, family law, etc. FIU at full ride isn't a bad choice.

Well it's also well chronicled that youre a retard

Op if your goals involve sucking dick for crack then I agree that fiu is fine.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Young Marino wrote:It really just depends on your goals. If you're looking to practice in the Miami area and wouldn't mind working in a small firm doing personal injury, family law, etc. FIU at full ride isn't a bad choice.

If that's the case, why do 45% of FIU's graduates not have full-time legal employment post graduation?

I mean, any legal employment is better than nothing, right? About half of its graduates aren't even getting jobs at a small firm.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:03 pm

It's not that these are terrible options (people will debate this). It's that you can retake the LSAT and with a few extra points, you can have some much better options. Don't waste your one chance to go to law school on options that only give you a tiny chance of achieving your goals when you can get 5 more questions right on a multiple choice test and go to a school that will set you up with so much more opportunity.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:17 pm

jingosaur wrote:It's not that these are terrible options (people will debate this). It's that you can retake the LSAT and with a few extra points, you can have some much better options. Don't waste your one chance to go to law school on options that only give you a tiny chance of achieving your goals when you can get 5 more questions right on a multiple choice test and go to a school that will set you up with so much more opportunity.

Are you from Florida?

If you are targeting work in Florida, the hierarchy of school goes like this:

FSU/UF
Stetson (although predominantly in Tampa)
UM (Miami)
Nova (Miami)
FIU (Miami)
-

The legal market is shit in Florida already. You're really going to tell OP that going to a school like FIU....which is the arguably the 6th best school in the state and not even the first or second best school in Miami? I know you mean well, but you shouldn't sugar-coat this.

Miami wouldn't be a terrible option if you were content with working in Miami and had a 3/4 ride with no stips...

FIU will always be a terrible option, even on a full-ride.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 pm

At FIU, you'll be competing with the T14 + Emory + UF + FSU + UM + Nova grads for a job...and the employers apparently like those kids more. It's an objectively bad choice. Just because a law school is free doesn't mean it's worth attending.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:45 pm

runinthefront wrote:
jingosaur wrote:It's not that these are terrible options (people will debate this). It's that you can retake the LSAT and with a few extra points, you can have some much better options. Don't waste your one chance to go to law school on options that only give you a tiny chance of achieving your goals when you can get 5 more questions right on a multiple choice test and go to a school that will set you up with so much more opportunity.

Are you from Florida?

If you are targeting work in Florida, the hierarchy of school goes like this:

FSU/UF
Stetson (although predominantly in Tampa)
UM (Miami)
Nova (Miami)
FIU (Miami)
-

The legal market is shit in Florida already. You're really going to tell OP that going to a school like FIU....which is the arguably the 6th best school in the state and not even the first or second best school in Miami? I know you mean well, but you shouldn't sugar-coat this.

Miami wouldn't be a terrible option if you were content with working in Miami and had a 3/4 ride with no stips...

FIU will always be a terrible option, even on a full-ride.

In Miami Stetson is definitely below UM and likely below FIU. I can't speak definitively for other areas of the state, but I would be shocked if Stetson is considered anything more than a TTT, and far worse than UM, everywhere outside of Tampa.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:49 pm

ah! My bad!! I wasn't aware

in that case, OP, I think it's a great idea for you to go arguably the 5th best law school in the state...which is also the third best law school in the dumpster-fire legal market that is Miami!

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Picking up just a few more points on a retake will get you MUCH better options (trust me) & probably UF/FSU for near/completely free. Don't settle.

ariel_917

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 pm

runinthefront wrote:At FIU, you'll be competing with the T14 + Emory + UF + FSU + UM + Nova grads for a job...and the employers apparently like those kids more. It's an objectively bad choice. Just because a law school is free doesn't mean it's worth attending.

Thanks. I think the same. I just got a little excited when I saw the full tuition scholly. Hopefully I will receive a scholarship from UF or FSU.

ariel_917

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Yeah I'm going to wait until I hear from UF and FSU to decide if I will retake. Hopefully I will get a scholarship from one of those and won't have to. I am already an undergraduate student at UF so I hope that helps my chances.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:

Well it's also well chronicled that youre a retard

Op if your goals involve sucking dick for crack then I agree that fiu is fine.

He also tells bizarre lies and then disappears when asked for an explanation

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 pm

ariel_917 wrote:

Yeah I'm going to wait until I hear from UF and FSU to decide if I will retake. Hopefully I will get a scholarship from one of those and won't have to. I am already an undergraduate student at UF so I hope that helps my chances.

If I were you, I would at the very least start studying for a June retake now. Schools have been known to increase scholly $$$ and take people off the wait list for June LSAT scores.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:41 am

This is why I'm starting to get away from certain TLS threads. It's mostly a site for people that want to be corporate slaves and if God forbid you want to practice in a smaller area of law, you're view is considered unrealistic (most of the time). There are plenty of FIU grads getting jobs albeit not the type most of you on here want but the whole "suck dick for crack if you graduate from FIU" thing is ridiculously overblown

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 am

Young Marino wrote:This is why I'm starting to get away from certain TLS threads. It's mostly a site for people that want to be corporate slaves and if God forbid you want to practice in a smaller area of law, you're view is considered unrealistic (most of the time). There are plenty of FIU grads getting jobs albeit not the type most of you on here want but the whole "suck dick for crack if you graduate from FIU" thing is ridiculously overblown

There's the ym we love.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:59 am

Young Marino wrote:This is why I'm starting to get away from certain TLS threads. It's mostly a site for people that want to be corporate slaves and if God forbid you want to practice in a smaller area of law, you're view is considered unrealistic (most of the time). There are plenty of FIU grads getting jobs albeit not the type most of you on here want but the whole "suck dick for crack if you graduate from FIU" thing is ridiculously overblown

I thought you stopped posting because you were caught making up nonsense in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=241162&p=8258495#p8258495

Also from that thread, you said:

Young Marino wrote:Don't go there. Biglaw would've been a nice option to have even though I probably wouldn't have gone with it.

So don't pretend you're so above being a "corporate slave."

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/fiu/jobs/2013/

"60.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs."

35% of that number represents solos (most of the time, basically the same thing as being unemployed) and people working at firms with 2-10 lawyers.

2/5 graduates from FIU don't actually become lawyers and that's crazy

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Nova shouldn't even be an option imo. I got accepted there and I am not going to go there. It's my backup in case of anything, but UM for sure imo. Miami is just too damn overpriced regardless. FIU is an and coming law program. If Big Law isn't your plan, you should try to minimize debt and maximize the best comfort zone. Miami is still a great location. Nice weather, diverse city, and plenty to do on your off time. The Port of Miami is a great location too since it's a hub for commerce because of trade and traveling. So if you're into International Law, Miami isn't a bad city to study in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”